Why become a member? ×

Precisions...that aren't precisions

uncle psychosis

So, I currently have a Yamaha TRB1005 which is absolutely great. However, I very rarely ever feel the need to use the low 'B' and long term I think I want to go back to 4 strings. In addition, I'm coming to realise that all my favourite bass players---Andy Rourke, Mike Mills, James Jamerson, Matt Freeman, plus others---are all precision players and so I am tempted to go down that route.

The thing is, I like guitars to be slightly quirky and precisions are...well....a bit dull, aesthetically speaking. Well, except the 50s ones, they're pretty cool...

So my question is---whats out there in terms of Precision basses, but with a twist? I don't want anything that is totally "out there"---I'm thinking classic styling but with some updates, eg the precision equivalent of an Aerodyne jazz bass (which, I guess,fits the bill since its a PJ...).

Edited by uncle psychosis

Get an Ibanez Blazer....if you can find one! I've been looking for another one for weeks with no luck. And I suspect should one turn up it'll go for a good few hundred seeing as they appear to be so scarce.

They sound amazing. Like a regular precision, but with added snap, added crackle and possibly even more pop. The tone control is more responsive than Japanese and Mexican Precisions (never tried an American) and they have traditional 80's Ibanez build quality. They just will not go wrong! Solid brass bridge, solid open back tuners (nice and retro!) and a wonderfully aesthetically pleasing design. Slight points on the top and bottom horns, and a lovely headstock shape that somewhat reminds me of a smile! Ill get some pictures up soon because I love showing it to people!

You'll not regret it!

Truckstop

Strangely enough I've got a Precison that I don't consider a Precison.

It's a MIA Fender Precision deluxe, bought new in 2003 (the only bass I've got I bought new)
With the slim 'Jazz' type neck it's very playable and the two pick-ups and active electronics offer lots of tone variations.

But......it just never sound like a genuine P to me.
If I know I want a P sound I take out my MIJ '57 reissue P with the maple 'tree trunk' neck.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1329051041' post='1536435']
So, I currently have a Yamaha TRB1005 which is absolutely great. However, I very rarely ever feel the need to use the low 'B' and long term I think I want to go back to 4 strings. In addition, I'm coming to realise that all my favourite bass players---Andy Rourke, Mike Mills, James Jamerson, Matt Freeman, plus others---are all precision players and so I am tempted to go down that route.

The thing is, I like guitars to be slightly quirky and precisions are...well....a bit dull, aesthetically speaking. Well, except the 50s ones, they're pretty cool...

So my question is---whats out there in terms of Precision basses, but with a twist? I don't want anything that is totally "out there"---I'm thinking classic styling but with some updates, eg the precision equivalent of an Aerodyne jazz bass (which, I guess,fits the bill since its a PJ...).
[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]I've always like the look of these[/size] [size=4][color=#000000]Fender Precision Bass Specials. It has a 54 type body and P/J pickups. [/color][/size][/font][url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290665799653?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_949"]http://www.ebay.co.u...49#ht_500wt_949[/url]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1329051041' post='1536435']

[/quote]

You need a '58 Custom Shop Relic, vintage vibe, raised A pickups for the growl when needed, coolest combo Leo ever came up with; 3-tone sunburst, maple neck, gold anodized guard. Actually, thinking about it, I have one for sale, it's a bargain too!! :D

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159886-fender-precision-custom-shop-relic-1958-mint-all-case-candy-price-drop/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159886-fender-precision-custom-shop-relic-1958-mint-all-case-candy-price-drop/[/url]

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1329054009' post='1536494']

You need a '58 Custom Shop Relic, vintage vibe, raised A pickups for the growl when needed, coolest combo Leo ever came up with; 3-tone sunburst, maple neck, gold anodized guard. Actually, thinking about it, I have one for sale, it's a bargain too!! :D

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159886-fender-precision-custom-shop-relic-1958-mint-all-case-candy-price-drop/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159886-fender-precision-custom-shop-relic-1958-mint-all-case-candy-price-drop/[/url]
[/quote]

Yum.... yum..... Yum..... swap you for a kidney?

If I had £1500 you'd have a sale. Sadly, I don't :(

I never know what I think of the yamaha BBs. Sometimes I think they look great... other times, not so much.

I have two Fender Precisions that aren't really precisions:

Fender Power Jazz Bass Special, which has a P body (no scratch plate), Jazz neck, P/J pups and active electrics.
Fender Precision Lyte - strat-sized body, slim Jazz neck, P/J pups and active electrics.

Neither sound particularly P-bassy and look a bit different.

I too tend to think that Yamaha BBs do the trick. That said, in terms of aesthetics I tend to prefer the slightly older 414s - I think it's the matching body and headstock colour that does it. Aside from that, they sound bloody good, they're very well made and extremely playable.

If you really want to nail that 'Precision' sound with, ahem, precision, then you have to be careful with P/J basses. A lot of them have the P pickup set further towards the neck than a true Precision, to maintain good spacing from the J pickup. The Aerodyne jazz is like this, whereas the Precision model isn't (J pickup is shifted bridge-wards instead). The Power jazz special has a reverse P. Having said all that my Aerodyne jazz does a good enough P impression despite the pickup position! But a true anorak could tell in an A/B.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1329073853' post='1536837']
I`m very impressed with my recent purchase of a Tokai Hardpuncher. PJ configuration as well, though most Hardpunchers just have the traditional P pickup.
[/quote]

Yeah - that sounds like a tasty mix!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1329052399' post='1536458']
Get an Ibanez Blazer....if you can find one! I've been looking for another one for weeks with no luck. And I suspect should one turn up it'll go for a good few hundred seeing as they appear to be so scarce.

They sound amazing. Like a regular precision, but with added snap, added crackle and possibly even more pop. The tone control is more responsive than Japanese and Mexican Precisions (never tried an American) and they have traditional 80's Ibanez build quality. They just will not go wrong! Solid brass bridge, solid open back tuners (nice and retro!) and a wonderfully aesthetically pleasing design. Slight points on the top and bottom horns, and a lovely headstock shape that somewhat reminds me of a smile! Ill get some pictures up soon because I love showing it to people!

You'll not regret it!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Next best thing to a Blazer on eBay [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1970s-Cimar-Ibanez-Precision-Bass-Guitar-Great-Build-Quality-/110824526283?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19cda811cb#ht_500wt_1287"]here[/url]

It's damn near identical, I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows the differences between and Ibanez Blazer and these Cimars

Edited by Sean