Why become a member? ×

Bass setup revelation

Blademan_98

I finished work early today and with a bit of time on my hands, decided to setup my Hohner Headless I got from Silddx last weekend.
Nige likes a really low action and it was a bit too low for me.

After a few tweeks on the truss rod and height adjusters etc I got it to how I like it :)
I played through the first set, jamming to the tunes via practice amp / mp3 setup.

Hmm really nice! Action great, lightweight so no back problems, slim neck and superb output from the pickups.

I then picked up my fretless and ran through a couple of the tracks.
Again, really nice! Not quite as light so I sat down to play. Pickups are not as powerful but maybe a little clearer?

Lastly, I picked up my gigging Jazz.
Sat Down Playability = 100%
Pickups = loud and clear!
Weighs a ton :(
Stand Up Playability = 20% before back pain hits.

I will be using the Hohner for gigging as it seems to be the only bass I own that I can stand and play for hours without pain killers!

What makes your decisions on gigging a particular bass?

Tone, then playability then how replaceable it is. Fortunately, I have no back problems and so weight is not an issue.

For Motown its my old P with flats, for gospel its the Jazz Deluxe with rounds to give the funky slap option, for the rock band I used to be in it was a Stingray. This one is irreplaceable (ie I can't afford to buy another one) and so while it would be perfect for the gospel, that's too busy to risk it so often.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1328549380' post='1528916']
What makes your decisions on gigging a particular bass?
[/quote]

Circumstances!

The closest bass I have to your Hohner is my Status Streamline. Lovely as it is, I prefer the tone of my Wal (in a pub-rock band) and of my Precision (in a Soul band), so I play the Streamline at pubs where space is ridiculously tight, and at gigs where a bit of bling goes down well (it has LEDs).

Tone? Gave up on that a long time ago ... what I hear isn't what the audience hears, and they're not listening anyway.

I prefer to gig with whichever bass looks like it suits the music. I used a blood red Washburn in a death metal band, my vintage white Jazz in a motown covers group and my blazer for everything else pretty much! I use the EQ on the amp and/or the bass and adjust my playing technique to get the sound right. All of basses have been comfortable to use, so that's never been a factor in deciding which bass to use more!

Luckily, Im at an age where I dont really need to worry about weight yet so I can take whatever I feel like safe in the knowledge that I can play with it standing for 3-4 hours.

Truckstop

The current band seems to play for hours at a time, so moderate to light weight and a decent setup are key requirements.

Used a bass with active circuitry for a few years and while it sounded clear, passive pickups seem to fit the bill better as most of the numbers we play are at least a few decades old

All depends on the scenario.

Most gigs i grab whatever is closest to the door at the time of departure. And yes, i have taken an empty hard case to a gig before :unsure:
Recording i choose whatever is needed for the project after careful consultation with the person paying the studio fees. Obviously its the Hamer ;)

All my basses are giggable and have an action and sound that i am comfy with - some weigh slightly more than others but we only do 45 minute slots so thats not a problem.

I know what the person meant about the audience not listening. I think they meant that the tone of the bass is not foremost in most punters minds so probably isn't as big a deal as we might think.

Annoyingly I've only got one bass now (two including my upright, but it doesn't get gigged regularly). About a year back I'd take my Fender Jazz with rounds out and my Fender P with flats and then swap after my first set. Now all I've got is my Lakland Darryl Jones 4. I want a new P and a decent Sadowsky 5 string.

My 10lb `77 Fender Precision does me, whether it`s for 3hr rehearsals, or 2hr gigs. Strangley enough, since getting this one, which is much heavier than any others I`ve had, my back is less of a problem, as due to the weight of the `77, I raised the strap a bit - not too much mind, I`m in a punk band - but enough to make it much more comfortable on my back, and this has also made it easier to play.

Sounds like you have a similar problem to me Blademan - bad back blues!
In fact I was about to buy that boat paddle from Nigel when you snatched it from under me :lol:

My favourite bass is an old 'cusomised' Fender Jazz with great tone and playability, but it weighs 10.5 lbs and it's ugly as sin.
I also have a Squier VM fretless that is lovely to play, but hard work at a gig.
Then there's the Ashbory, which I gigged for a year, but I always come back to the old Jazz because it feels and sounds so right despite the weight.

I'm still looking for the perfect light weight alternative and I've tried a few from Sinsinidos to Streamlines via Hofners and Yamahas - none have the tone of my old Fender.

I haven't tried a boat paddle yet though, so please give me first refusal if you decide to re-sell yours.

Steve.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' timestamp='1328554960' post='1529046']
It's all about the playability for me, and considering how many strings I need (I haven't gigged my 4 string since getting my 5+ strings). Tone? I'll sound like whatever the sound guy feels like, but as long as I can play it well I'll sound like me.
[/quote]Tone is 90% technique. Good on ya! In the words of carl thompson "the only thing a heavy piece of wood is gonna give you is a double hernia."

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1328557286' post='1529111']

I haven't tried a boat paddle yet though, so please give me first refusal if you decide to re-sell yours.

Steve.
[/quote]

I certainly will :) no problem. It's first rehearsal with the band is on Wednesday.
It's first outing at a gig will be in March.
So either I will be contacting you then or posting a 'what a great gig' in this forum!

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I certainly will [/font][/color] :)[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] no problem. It's first rehearsal with the band is on Wednesday.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It's first outing at a gig will be in March.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So either I will be contacting you then or posting a 'what a great gig' in this forum![/font][/color][/quote]

Thanks, I'll be interested in how you get on with it.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1328557755' post='1529122']
Tone is 90% technique. Good on ya! In the words of carl thompson "the only thing a heavy piece of wood is gonna give you is a double hernia."
[/quote]

How I wish this was true, but it isn't for me.
I only use one tone and it's a deep smooth sound that I can't get from any other bass except my old heavy beast - and I've tried more than a few.