Why become a member? ×

What do you do with basses you don't play?

woodyratm

Hi guys,
I've currently got 2 basses (with a third being built).

Lakland Skyline DJ4 with extender
EBMM Stingray 4 3EQ with extender

Now i've had the 'ray for a few years now - like about 5 or 6? and was my go to bass at all times. But then I got the Lakland and preferred the neck and the feel of it. The ray i love the sound of also, but I just don't feel it as much.

I try and play the 'ray every now and again to see if can enjoy playing it but I really can't.

So what would you guys do?

This is a bass I wanted when i first started out - It's an amazing instrument. I just don't get on well with the current neck. I've got a JazzRay being built so it takes care of the sound tbh.
I was tempted to get the neck filed by Rich (Ou7shined) since his 'ray is a dream to play. But I'm sorta thinking that the custom will do it already well enough.

Not sure whether to sell, trade or just keep the bass?

Thoughts?

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' timestamp='1328008857' post='1520127']
They sit in the rack, unloved, along with all the guitars my gf has acquired and never plays.
[/quote]

Weirdly my gf has said to not sell it, says its too stunning.

been suggested that i get a fretless neck and give it a new lease of life that way. Unsure... :unsure:

For me, the plan is to not have basses I won't use. Different if you keep them for investment or sentimental reasons I guess.

At the moment, I have what I need but I have in the past, been guilty of hanging onto stuff that doesn't get used and it just ends up on the wall. Looks nice, but a waste of money and space.

Cheers guys.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1328009819' post='1520159']
Keep it, you'll never know when you might need it! Unless you really need the cash or you really need to upgrade your gear, there's no point in selling it. Just keep it in good nick and then maybe in a few years time it'll be more useful to you!

Truckstop
[/quote]

This was what I was considering doing, but the custom bass has got a ray pup in the ray location so just worried I'd end up using that all time and still just having it getting dusty.

Make sure you have a replacement then trade it or sell it to fund your replacement. You might like the Ray in a few years - then again you might not. Better off getting something you want to play now and enjoying it. Something very sad about instruments sat in cases not being loved.

FWIW your story is like mine with the Ray. Got my dream Ray (black and maple) last year and sold it within 6 months. Sounds fantastic on its own but didn't sit in the mix as well as my other basses. Ultimately its about how it sounds in a band situation. I swapped mine for a fretless jazz which i don't play :lol:

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1328011089' post='1520188']
Make sure you have a replacement then trade it or sell it to fund your replacement. You might like the Ray in a few years - then again you might not. Better off getting something you want to play now and enjoying it. Something very sad about instruments sat in cases not being loved.

FWIW your story is like mine with the Ray. Got my dream Ray (black and maple) last year and sold it within 6 months. Sounds fantastic on its own but didn't sit in the mix as well as my other basses. Ultimately its about how it sounds in a band situation. I swapped mine for a fretless jazz which i don't play :lol:
[/quote]

It would be nice to have a bass head again - So might put a feeler out..

Then again It would be nice to free up some cash to put towards the custom too.

GAH!

If anyone has anything interesting feel free to PM me ;) haha cheers again guys.

Know the feeling, I`ve sold a fair few basses (and guitars) that were great instruments, but weren`t getting played. Seldom needed the money, I just thought it a waste to have such good instruments basically being ornaments. Down to 3 basses and 1 guitar now.

I had the same experience as you with my dream 'Ray - black/maple/3eq. Just fell out of love with it and it sat gathering dust.

Ended up selling and bought a new Precision (which I [i]do [/i]use) and a new rig. Was a hard decision though, if only because of sentimentality.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328013715' post='1520235']
Know the feeling, I`ve sold a fair few basses (and guitars) that were great instruments, but weren`t getting played. Seldom needed the money, I just thought it a waste to have such good instruments basically being ornaments. Down to 3 basses and 1 guitar now.
[/quote]

This is actually my thoughts.

How much so stingrays go for nowadays? How do you search past auctions on ebay?

I can't really afford the luxury of having basses that don't earn their keep!

I had exactly the same battle of conscience last year with my trusty old Jazz that I'd had for about 14 years. I bought a Sandberg which made my jazz feel like a dog to play! Tried doing all the fettling and tinkering I could, but I had to just resign myself to the fact that nothing would ever be the same again. So I sold it, and I've since sold my other basses (well the last change is happening this week) apart from my cheap knockabout, and replaced them with Sandbergs!

My advice to you? If you've found a bass that you really love the feel of, and just feels completely right in your hands, stick with it. Sell your 'Ray and buy another Lakland!

I try and circulate mine, to give them all a 'run-out' regularly.
I like to think (maybe erroneously) that swopping neck profiles, numbers of strings, frets vs no frets adds to my skills.

One funny side is that one of my two teenage daughters gets on at me for making the wrong wardrobe choices.
I had this last weekend ' Dad, you cannot wear that colour shirt with that bass....' :blush:

If you don't need the money, my advice for what it's worth is don't sell it....

.... I have only ever regretted selling a bass, and with something like a Stingray, it's always money in the bank, far cheaper to hang the wall than a painting....and to my mind far more appealing B)

Mine are stored in the house, but out of sight. I forget them for a few weeks and then get nostalgic, drag one out and it becomes my new favourite bass.

Until a few weeks later when the cycle come round again.

I'm currently playing just the Warwicks, but suspect that'll change sometime soon!

I've really stripped down over the years. I don't think I ever owned more than 6 at the same time and I thought that was too much. I now own 4 but would seriously probably only gig 3 of them, the fourth (Squier P special) is fine for keeping around for quick bedroom practice session. Of the 3 really decent ones I never take more than 2 to a gig and its usually the same 2 so decent quality bass number 3 spends months at a time in a case under the bed which is a bit ridiculous. However it was the first 'name' bass I bought so it does carry some memories.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1328009530' post='1520154']
For me, the plan is to not have basses I won't use.[/quote]
Yeah, but...
[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1328010018' post='1520165']
Unless money's tight I would keep hold of it...You'r more likely, in the future, to regret selling it than [i]not[/i] selling it.
[/quote]
[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1328009819' post='1520159']
Keep it, you'll never know when you might need it! Unless you really need the cash or you really need to upgrade your gear, there's no point in selling it. Just keep it in good nick and then maybe in a few years time it'll be more useful to you![/quote]
That's my philosophy. But now I play all of my basses, switching from one to another if I need to change the technique (Tele's not too suitable for slap, T-40's not too suitable for warm, muddy sound, P has her unique funky vibe I love etc. etc.)