Why become a member? ×

Difficult gig refusal

mcgraham

So, played a gig or two last year for the gospel choir my wife and some friends sing in. Got asked to do it again, and I've had to decline and it was a difficult decision to make. I don't want to ramble on, but it's more complicated than that. Basically, the person in charge of the band is a colossal tool. I don't use that word often, particularly when describing someone who is meant to be a friend of me and my wife, but the truth hurts (not if you've got an ego that big to protect you of course).

At the outset when I consented I was given an incomplete set list, I asked what he wanted me to work on first before a practice, and he informed me that he wants me to learn them EXACTLY as recorded and perfect them to a T before a first practice, otherwise what's the point. I say OK, when is the first concert? Obviously there's a lot of work involved perfecting a 20 song set list, I don't want to outlay all that time and effort if it's going to just be ongoing rehearsals for 6 months before a concert... particularly as it's a favour and i'm not getting paid. He informs me he refuses to schedule a gig until he thinks the band is ready. I've been down that road before and I think it's a massive waste of time... anyway....

Since then, he's had another couple of massive rants, expecting me to attend a rehearsal within a days notice, and insisting there will be no provisional gig til a practice. I've now been given an updated set list numbering 30 tracks, and he's not clarified which ones I'm meant to learn verbatim, create parts for, or ignore. I asked for him to specify, he said he mentioned this in an earlier email, I respond with 'what about the new ones' and his response his 'I've already explained all this numerous times in detail I refuse to do it again'.

*breath*

I politely informed him that I no longer wish to be part of his band.

Sure it might make things a little difficult, but I don't see why I should endure amateurs with that sort of attitude, bring my level of professionalism to what he wants, for no money, no respect and no effort on his part. People like this need to be told to grow up and we need to stop tolerating them... 'oh they're just like that, leave them be' is not a valid excuse.

In any case, I was wondering what you guys would've done in my place?

It sounds to me like you've been more than reasonable. Walking away with 'diggity is probably best. I can understand it's going to cause a bit of a problem regarding your wife's involvement.
I've come across similar (but not as bad) with church bands I've been involved with. They seem to attract meglomaniac n**heads.

Are there any other instrumentalists in the outfit? Do they get the same treatment?

Exactly what you have done.

"Basically, the person in charge of the band is a colossal tool" is your description of him and as you feel that way I can't see how you can work positively with him on any level, I couldn't if those were my thoughts.
You are supposed to enjoy music, eh?

I'd have done, and have done, the exact same. Fair play to you. One has to draw the line somewhere - and for me, if I can't find a single redeeming or worthwhile factor then that's it. I was rehearsing and gigging with a student big band, for no pay, because I wanted to swot up on my sight-reading - getting charts like 'Spain' and 'Willowcrest' and playing them with absolutely no preparation. All good. Until the band leader barely acknowledges you and then completely blanks you when he's a punter at another gig I was doing. I thought - Tw*t - and left it at that. When the gig-triangle is missing all it's pieces it's time to leave.

I have a very simple rule:

If you're paying me well enough, then knock yourself out sunshine.
It's no skin off my nose how much of my time you waste while you're paying for it and I'll probably just tune out within 10 seconds once I realise you're an arse anyway.

If you're not paying me then you get what you're given and should shut up.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1327177423' post='1507559']
Sometimes I think they are lacking in some departments and when they get some control it goes to their head and makes them feel big in other ways.
[/quote]

Yep, same as the majority of council employees. :)

They're covered in another little rule I have that says 'if you are speaking loudly then you probably haven't actually got anything worth saying'.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1327174164' post='1507506']
When the gig-triangle is missing all it's pieces it's time to leave.
[/quote]

What are the pieces?

I'm guessing enjoyment, comfortable slacks, and hordes of fit birds.

Where can I claim my £5?