Why become a member? ×

Difficult gig refusal

mcgraham

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1327272190' post='1508796']
Cheers I just lost half the chocolate digestive I was eating!!!!
[/quote]

My pleasure. :)
Sorry. ;)

Mcgraham,
I think you need to watch what you are doing here. In all seriousness this could be a very tricky situation with regards your social circle.
Not sure how i would handle it. It would depend on how much influence this guy could have against how well known or liked you are within your social circle.
I think you did the right thing and more than likely others will know what he's like and will forget all about far quicker than you will.

I hope it doesn't end up in a "hatred" thing which kinda defeats what we are all about in life. Happy go luckky, cheery bass players who just wanna get out there and play to the best of our abilitity and enjoy it.

All the best
Dave

Cheers for the input.

I am very much aware I need to watch what I do, but doesn't hurt to reiterate it! I've had a number of instances with this particular guy, usually being present for one of his rants or unreasonable/outrageous demands on people (these are never tongue in cheek) or even see him flagellate someone else, that I've had to temper calmly and be the voice of reason. However, I think he has been given faaaar too much slack for faaaar too long by the weaker amongst us in that social circle, and I will no longer tolerate that behaviour. He needs disciplining, and I don't mean that in a sexy way.

You're right I need to be careful it doesn't turn into hate, and while hate is a strong word, I certainly am struggling with not getting angry/irked when I'm reminded of him. TBH people's behaviour tends not to bother me as much as what their behaviour says about that person's character and attitude towards others and towards themselves - I get angry by people whose behaviour expresses poor character and attitude. And his character is a steaming pile of ... and he's not in the company of people with the strength to sort him out.

If he was Duke Ellington or some major composer of innovative material, I may think about it, but all this to play covers? I'm going to die soon and I won't be lying on my death bed thinking, 'wow, I can go to my maker knowing that at least I nailed some other people's s***'.

No people skills.

One easy way to do it is just tell him you can't commit to it because of your other projects. If he bullies other musicians, they need to stand up for themselves really. Not your battle.
You need to be carefull that it's not you that ends up being seen as the bad guy. If it was me, I just wouldn't get involved with him or his projects.

I would just have reiterated what you had originally said and toldl him to call you back when the choir were ready. Chances are they'll never be ready. Lots of the choir will turn up weekly because they enjoy each others company and get to sing a bit. A few of them will drift off when they realise they're never going to sing to an audience. A few others will leave because of his attitude.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I've heard through the grapevine he's scheduled a gig despite him laying down the law that he refused to do so til the band and choir were ready. Fortunately he's not called me back. I'd still politely tell him... well, I'll let you fill in the blanks in your mind, makes for a much more entertaining story.

My wife is involved with the running of the choir and has emailed them to point out we are seriously drifting from the aims/values of being a community choir, and that we need to reassess where we're at or we're going to have to make some tough decisions. The person in charge has agreed. Hopefully he'll get his trousers pulled up for him.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1327620214' post='1514492']
Lots of the choir will turn up weekly because they enjoy each others company and get to sing a bit. A few of them will drift off when they realise they're never going to sing to an audience. A few others will leave because of his attitude.
[/quote]
Bingo! Already happening!

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1327600569' post='1514082']
Nailing other peoples sh*t is seen as a good night out by some :yarr: :yarr:
[/quote]

[size=4]

I'm looking forward to this party. Especially now there's some sh*t nailing to be done.

Bit like pin the tail on the donkey?[/size]

• 2 months later...

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1327328448' post='1509343']
I got this crap from the guy who ran th Jamiroquai band I was in, he decided we weren't tight enough as a band (search Jamirrorquai in Ireland and you'll see that that was NOT the case) and wanted to rehearse weekly for months without any prospect of gigs (this was at all our expense I might add).
IME if someone thinks that rehearsing is more important than gigging then they know nothing about music.
[/quote]

Lewis I am shocked and actually stunned by this.

I would have expected more from you to be honest then this. As you and I both know there were times when we were not ready because of certain issues and other problems. I have never had any issues with booking gigs but I will not any one on stage that unless I was 100% happy with the sound and show.

As a tribute band you have to be better then the original otherwise you open your self up for so much hate and agro but from an ex member of the band whom worked for me in my other business when you needed the money ????? thats below the belt and totally unfair and in the main untrue.

I am out of pocket by over £400 because I paid for all of the last rehearsals and when I have tried to book gigs months in advance I have been told by other band members that "I may get another gig that day" and that leaves me in a posistion where I cannot accept the gig.

I am not going to fall out with anyone over ths but come on be fair and play the game by at least telling all sides before making me out to be the villan.

In saying that I hope all your other bands work out well and that you have much success in the future.

Mac