Why become a member? ×

People like SH*T

Prime_BASS

I think it's pretty hard to avoid the conclusion that the hardcore slap thing is the bass version of Yngwie Malmsteen.

Generally awful music with technical pyrotechnics being performed for a not terribly large paying audience. It's not my cup of tea but it's a niche!

Yngwie does something very fast...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_IYe5JTZ4

And here he pushes it to the MAX

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6628929648939980168

Edited by Cairobill

I enjoyed that Malmsteen video.

Interesting points about clapping. It[i] really[/i] winds me up when people clap when there's no need. Especially morons on programmes like Xfactor or britain's got "talent" that whoop and clap/stand up when someone sings/does something "talented" while they're[i] still performing. [/i]Tv for morons.

Still, I like Wooten, he seems like a really nice guy and he is a talented guy. He's pushed the boundaries of solo bass , and I guess he has to do that stuff for the bass playing audience who go to those things. His playing doesn't grab me, as such, but I can appreciate what he does. It would be nice to have that much talent!

beign able to do widdly w***y stuff is the reward for learning good clean technique. hopefully some people see the fiddly stuff and are inspired to put the time in to learn to play their instrument. Instead they probably go 'Pshh, I could play that if I had a Fodera'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATub40Npxik

Sorry for poor spelling on my blackberry and it has no mobile version of the site.
By that estimation, I can freely begin a song by clapping aginst the strings, not playing any notes because it builds tension.

Even as a bassist I find majority of solo acts incredibly dull and boring. It's all meaningless dribble to me, especially if the piece is over 2:30 and has more muted percusive "technique" than notes which only serves as sub-defuge, to distract us from the fact its devoid of feeling because it's all just for money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to the fact that he or others arn't good. It just astounds me that people find that kind of dribble "amazing". I must be one of few people who find it boring, pointless and condescending of those who can't perform that fast, or like clicking their own strings for groove and feeling but because they don't have a back catalogue of achievements are frowned upon.

This is of course my own opinion, I was just interested in why people like that clicking nonesense.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326096785' post='1492078']
Itks not so much that he does the punching of his bass, its the people that like it.

While I'm not classically trained and probably know nothing about composition, but those fast bits are totally cold, void of any feeling and happen randomly towards the end. Coupled with the punching, it jst makes me want top listen to JLS, or some equally processed tosh that the producor and marketer have decided everyone likes.

I like to think I know my way around a bass but if I, or you, started smacking muted strings people would think its sh*t and that I'm crazy. However because this guy had 1 or 2 success and is supposedly talented he gets away with it.

Then we get into the psychology of being in a crowd.
[/quote]

Get over it - you won't like every bit of music you hear - singling out Wooten to hate on because people like him is ridiculous - sorry but you've taken a bad quality piece of footage of a tune - that in its entirity is pretty stunning - and judged Wooten's 30 year career as being irrelevant - we've done this dabate about a million times over, Wooten has more music in his little finger than most of us put together here... go and listen to his ALBUMs and see him live - he brilliant and hardly ever slaps... yes it's part of what he does but the guy is one of the greats, end of.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1326061975' post='1491887']
I would have to agree with you.

I can't seem to grasp the merit behind some of this type of playing.

To me this guy is more impressive

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e44SdbQiXQs&feature=g-user-u&context=G26b295fUCGXQYbcTJ33YOTmBhlRDWixEEn9NNev2OWe7AdmZ9reM[/media]

I believe he's a member.
[/quote]

Yep - this fella is superb;

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=ZOo54oWpuGk[/media]

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1326116442' post='1492449']
Get over it
[/quote]

This! This a million times over. Critiquing Victor Wooten is like shooting fish in a barrel. It gets done week in week out. It's not that people shouldn't feel obliged to have an opinion on bass players in general but the argument is done to death. Regardless of what you think of him (I don't ever listen to him and draw almost [u]zero[/u] influence from him), he is a talented musician with a lot of interesting stuff to say, both on music and in musical repertoire. He's up there doing what he loves, which is playing music and clearly he's inspiring a lot of people. If you don't like it then go and listen to something you enjoy!

Ugh…ok…I am going to give the same lecture to this thread as I do with my students…

I understand that Wooten (or instrumental players in general) is not everyone’s cup of tea and even though that I am not at the same end of the scale as him I am sure that I am not everyone’s cup of tea either. I can live with that and I am sure Victor lives with his criticisms too. I can think of dozens of influential and reputable players that don't switch me on, but that doesn't give me any right to disparage their musical ability no matter if I personally think they are being a show off or can't even put two notes together. Music speaks to people on a very individual preference and appeal. Every artist captures a listeners attention differently to the next. Don't try to be oversensitive and judgemental as a developing musician (and we all are) when listening to others that do not appeal to your own palette. Being closed minded to what people like to hear is not a great trait to have as a musician.

Bottom line...have an opinion and respect each others opinions.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326107470' post='1492263']
Itks not so much that he does the punching of his bass, its the people that like it.

While I'm not classically trained and probably know nothing about composition, but those fast bits are totally cold, void of any feeling and happen randomly towards the end. Coupled with the punching, it jst makes me want top listen to JLS, or some equally processed tosh that the producor and marketer have decided everyone likes.

I like to think I know my way around a bass but if I, or you, started smacking muted strings people would think its sh*t and that I'm crazy. However because this guy had 1 or 2 success and is supposedly talented he gets away with it.

[/quote]

I'm sorry, but subjectivity aside, you're completely missing the point.
There is zero aspect of randomness about any clip that Wooten or anyone at his level plays, everything is chosen and pre-determined, thats the level of their facility. Now the subjectivity comes in when you disagree with their choice of how to voice a certain note or technique.
Nor would I say it's cold, while you may not appreciate the musicality of what VW does, I absolutely don't agree that it is free from groove, ignoring your preference for melody & harmony, it grooves like a monster.
I don't have too much time for 'solo bass', there are very few occasions where I think it works. Neither do I go gooey at all the slap-happy pyrotechnic skills that many possess, but knowing what I know about Wooten's playing & musical philosophies, dammit I'll defend him lol.

Si

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1326122414' post='1492552']
This! This a million times over. Critiquing Victor Wooten is like shooting fish in a barrel. It gets done week in week out. It's not that people shouldn't feel obliged to have an opinion on bass players in general but the argument is done to death. Regardless of what you think of him (I don't ever listen to him and draw almost [u]zero[/u] influence from him), he is a talented musician with a lot of interesting stuff to say, both on music and in musical repertoire. He's up there doing what he loves, which is playing music and clearly he's inspiring a lot of people. If you don't like it then go and listen to something you enjoy!
[/quote]

I agree with this. VW is a fantastic musician, it's just some of the bovine in the audience who I challenge.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326107470' post='1492263']
By that estimation, I can freely begin a song by clapping aginst the strings, not playing any notes because it builds tension.

Even as a bassist I find majority of solo acts incredibly dull and boring. It's all meaningless dribble to me, especially if the piece is over 2:30 and has more muted percusive "technique" than notes which only serves as sub-defuge, to distract us from the fact its devoid of feeling because it's all just for money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to the fact that he or others arn't good. It just astounds me that people find that kind of dribble "amazing". I must be one of few people who find it boring, pointless and condescending of those who can't perform that fast, or like clicking their own strings for groove and feeling but because they don't have a back catalogue of achievements are frowned upon.

This is of course my own opinion, I was just interested in why people like that clicking nonesense.
[/quote]As Michael Jackson said, you are not alone. It's hard to defend that kind of solo w***ery because once you stop listening with your eyes and hear them as compositions, as pieces of music, they're usually pretty vapid and highlight the unsuitabilty of the instrument to the task. The clacking of string off fret isn't one which really tugs at my emotional side and it baffles me why people invest their time in trying to write something sensitive and with feeling and then decide that the best medium to convey this is metal bouncing off metal. It's a demonstration of co-ordination, nothing more. I see them as something like an annoying child singing I'm A Little Teapot, looking for your gushing approval when you're thinking that they should learn something useful instead like using the potty.

I've a lot of time for Wooten, I've an album he plays on with Greg Howe and Dennis Chambers and it's great stuff, great playing, but this solo clacka clacka thing does my head in too.

I like and admire some stuff VW has done, some other stuff I find boring. That reflects just as much on me as him. I nearly said I'd give my right arm for his technique but my right arm is gainfully employed in a variety of tasks, some of which I would sorely miss. :lol: Anyway I'd love to have his technique and employ it to my way of thinking and doing things. Same with lots of other bass players I both like and dislike. I appreciate talent - whether I like how it's used is a separate issue.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1326126804' post='1492629']
I agree with this. VW is a fantastic musician, it's just some of the bovine in the audience who I challenge.
[/quote]

I think you get that in all fields really. I happened to be walking by a railway crossing on way home once at the same time as a steam train went past and there were about 50 odd people with cameras and packed lunches who'd evidently waited a very long time to see it. I guess everyone has their obsessions, justified in our eyes or not - each to their own :)

Anyway, Wooten's a fantastic musician. I probably learnt more about music from his Groove Workshop DVD than all of my music A-level classes/formal piano lessons combined ;)

Great philosophy on music right here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMe_KUwgBUE

I've just come in on this thread and I can't believe the blinkered attitude to a blatantly poorly filmed clip.

Yet again one of the greatest and most innovative bassists/musicians of our time gets slagged off because of a blinkered minority that don't bother to check out the albums he's recorded, and focus only on these badly-recorded YouTube clips.

Please get real. Listen to what else he has to say. You'll learn something from a true master.

This Victor bashing is getting tedious. Trust me, you'll think differently when you dig deeper.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1326138810' post='1492871']
I think you get that in all fields really. I happened to be walking by a railway crossing on way home once at the same time as a steam train went past and there were about 50 odd people with cameras and packed lunches who'd evidently waited a very long time to see it. I guess everyone has their obsessions, justified in our eyes or not - each to their own :)

Anyway, Wooten's a fantastic musician. I probably learnt more about music from his Groove Workshop DVD than all of my music A-level classes/formal piano lessons combined ;)

Great philosophy on music right here:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMe_KUwgBUE[/media]
[/quote]

I strongly recommend this DVD.