Why become a member? ×

Bassless for a month, how will I cope?

Grand Wazoo

As from Monday, a team of finely skilled Polish and Hungarian chippies will begin works to fully gut out my house and redecorate to modern style. Gone will be carpets, wall papers, old kitchen / bathrooms to be replaced with real wood flooring, freshly painted walls, new fitted kitchen and bathroom, and the whole of the 120ft garden will be relandscaped and a new big f/off shed will be built at the end of it big enough for a 4 piece band rehearsal with heating and lecky included.

The only negative thing is that everything of value is now in a Big Yellow Warehouse in storage, including all my basses, amps, TV and Stereo everything else will be kept under tarpauling in the garden until the place is finished.

All I have left is a small tv and laptop / ipad, I am bored already I miss my basses and the lack of that Dingwall low B is causing me withdrawal symptoms!

Oh and the cat is off again to a cattery for the entire period. I need me a hobby! I am not good at twisting my thumbs. Help? :D

Buy an Aria Sinsonido travel bass and headphones - about £340, tiny space taken up, and you can feed your habit :D

[url="http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=7476&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison"]http://www.reidys.co...PriceComparison[/url]

Edit: probably useful for when you are on your ship too

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1326026582' post='1491161']
A month for that lot ? :unsure: I will keep my fingers crossed.

Anyway if i were you id buy a cheap secondhand bass and small practice amp, that you can keep in a cupboard. Then sell them again afterwards.
[/quote]

Well yes its a team of 9 of them including chippie, plumber and fitters they work 3 rooms at the time while 2 of them are doing the kitchen two other will be doing the living room and bedroom and another team works in the garden. All tried and tested these are fast, they've done my son's house in nearly the same time only his garden is much smaller and only needed levelling and re-turfing, so yeah finger crossed.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326031463' post='1491253']
Eh? You married? couldn't you store you wife away instead? Basses are better company so......

prioritise man!!!!

seriously, I can't understand why you can't have your bass. you have a bed? the bass goes under.

BTW, obviously, my marriage ended. :D
[/quote]

My partner died June 16th 2011 I miss her immensely and one of the reasons I am redoing the house is because the way it was brings back too much painful memories to the point where I am finding it uncomfortable to live in it. I need it to look entirely different not to be daunted with the images in my head where my girl would be sitting watching tv or reading her mags, the old kitchen where she would be cooking etc etc.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1326047363' post='1491579']
Do you want to borrow an acoustic bas for the duration?? send me a PM..
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer but I really think I won't have the time or the room to store it, after all nearly all the rooms will be worked together. Cheers

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Nip out now and buy this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164373-fs-only-fender-road-worn-fiesta-red-jazz/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

It's only round the corner and you can leave it lying around while the work is done - more damage just adds to the mojo.

Hope it all goes well man - if you need a break from the madness, jump on a train and come up here
Steve.

Edited by redstriper

A month. Don't reckon so. I was told 3 mths to build house from scratch by a reputable well known builder.
Stuck in a 4 berth caravan (old one that leaked a bit) for 5 mths with my wife and 3 cats.
Was worth it in the end though.

Good luck and if you are really stuck drop into my house for a wee shot of mine.

Circa 800mile round trip. Welcome though :rolleyes:

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1326241894' post='1494507']
Polish !! Well I hope you got some Irish mick's to do the tarmac at least .....

Can you keep one in work ? Don't tell me there is no space I have seen the size of the boat :-)

Hey are you back to work yet ?
[/quote]

No Dave no work for me for a while, I have a district nurse that has to change my dressing 3 times a week so I have to stay ashore. Hey I am not missing it, I tell ya!

Last year I have had almost every room in my house done in the same way- builder said 5 weeks- they started in June 2011 and left the house 20th December. Great job though. Were able to have one room at least available for my use so kept musical stuff in there.
As long as you are doing something musical I dont think there would be a problem-brush up on your reading skills- you dont need a bass for that.

Phase two for us this year when the back of the house that has the kitchen in etc is knocked down and an extension built. House has 7 bedrooms so why the hell we need any more room is more down to the mrs than me.