Why become a member? ×

Interested in a P/J Fender, what to do?

Sibob

So....I own two jazzes that I don't really use too often, on account of my Precision being amazing and playing 90% of my gigs, not because the Jazzes aren't great.
I've been thinking about gigs where I'm not sure where I'll sit in the band (dep gigs etc) where I'd quite like the choice of P and/or J. My Jazzes don't quite nail the P sound though (even with the S1 on my '03).

So.
I guess 3 options.
1 - Look out for a Fender Hotrod P, or possibly a Tony Franklin fretted (although I'd want a sunburst I think), and move my '03 Jazz on.

2 - Rout the '03 to accommodate a Precision pickup, probably wouldn't ruin what little value it has (what...£500?), I would then have what would essentially be a passive Reggie Hamilton bass.

3 - Do they do Jazz pickups which have a split coil....so basically a Precision pickup in a Jazz casing? Or are those just approximating the sound?....are they no substitute for a P?

I'd quite like to pick up a late 70's P which has been routed with a J, so already modded, probably decent price etc....but they're all 10lbs + in weight.

hmmmm
suggestions?

Thanks
Si

Yip.. exactly the same boat as me! We do seem to follow each other around. ha ha.

Can't live without the P thump, but occasionally needs to honk away on the back pup. The Jazz neck pup just isn't quite there, although the split-coil Fralins in mine come close...

I *really* fancy the new Deluxe P ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163477-mia-fender-deluxe-precision-2011-and-sadowsky-metro-pj-tinkerin"]see here for my brief flirtation[/url]), or a custom build. I even considered an [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163508-overwater-pj-on-gumtree"]Overwater PJ[/url]...

I've no idea where I'll end up. We'll see...!

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I've found that on my Lull PJ 5 I prefer the sound of the bass with the bridge pickup off! [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]In my experience I would look at upgrading your Precision pickups for better and more versatile tone rather than just adding a J pickup. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Bartolini were always my favourites, the Lull has fantastic sounding custom wound Seymour Duncan's but Nordstrand pickups seem to be the ones generating the buzz these days.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1325357205' post='1482539']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]...[/font][/color][/size][size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]but Nordstrand pickups seem to be the ones generating the buzz these days.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]
Probably need shielding :D (sorry - couldn't resist!)

Its more a case of either utilising the '03 Jazz that I have....or swapping/selling it out for a P/J configured bass, I hate having basses that I don't use.
My '71 Precision is just right, don't need to mess with that at all, tis perfect.

To be be fair, my first port of call is to up the strings on both my jazzes to 45-105, I've been using 40-100 for years and years, but I have 45-105 on my P and I'm now a convert, thinking that will gain a little bit of phatness back on the jazzes.
What I think will happen is that my '73 will become 'THE' Jazz, and the space that my '03 Jazz takes up will be swapped for a P/J inbetweener bass.

But I'm all about passive....and I love my Fenders :)

Si

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1325357779' post='1482551']
A P-Retro will give you more variety out of your Precision (check out YT vid) without affecting the value of your bass, as it retrofits neatly and can easily be reversed if needs be.
[/quote]

I had a look at this and it really looks like a good piece of kit, and, as Clarky says, retrofits, so no permanent mods needed on your bass.

I`m GASSING big-time for a P/J at present, but lack of dosh means not a chance I`ll be getting one any time soon :angry:

According to this thread [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/slightly-different-jazz-bass-build-827735/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/slightly-different-jazz-bass-build-827735/[/url] you will need a custom pickguard for your Jazz bass if you want the P pickup to be in the same position like in your Precision. This thread is helpful if you have decided to rout your Jazz.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1325412514' post='1482821']
My thoughts on the P-Retro are that it won't get the back-pickup J-honk I'm looking for.

It looks like a great bit'o'kit, though...
[/quote]

Yes, I thought all the different sounds on the vid, whilst showing a great amount of versatility, all still sounded like a P-Bass.

Still missing the cut of the J tho.....

My Am Dlx P is the bass I reach for most often - it's just so playable. I don't have any problems with the preamp, although TBH I only ever play it passive live because that's the sound I'm after. If a P/J is what you're after, I really don't think you'd be disappointed with one of these.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1325343337' post='1482325']
So....I own two jazzes that I don't really use too often, on account of my Precision being amazing and playing 90% of my gigs, not because the Jazzes aren't great.
I've been thinking about gigs where I'm not sure where I'll sit in the band (dep gigs etc) where I'd quite like the choice of P and/or J. My Jazzes don't quite nail the P sound though (even with the S1 on my '03).

So.
I guess 3 options.
1 - Look out for a Fender Hotrod P, or possibly a Tony Franklin fretted (although I'd want a sunburst I think), and move my '03 Jazz on.

2 - Rout the '03 to accommodate a Precision pickup, probably wouldn't ruin what little value it has (what...£500?), I would then have what would essentially be a passive Reggie Hamilton bass.

3 - Do they do Jazz pickups which have a split coil....so basically a Precision pickup in a Jazz casing? Or are those just approximating the sound?....are they no substitute for a P?

I'd quite like to pick up a late 70's P which has been routed with a J, so already modded, probably decent price etc....but they're all 10lbs + in weight.

hmmmm
suggestions?

Thanks
Si
[/quote] Hey Si, Can i suggest Eternal Guitars? They made me my dream PJ bass. Build thread here - [url="http://www.eternal-guitars.com/?page_id=40"]http://www.eternal-guitars.com/?page_id=40[/url]

Pic below

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1325459299' post='1483423']
I'm also interested in this - pretty sure a PJ is my ideal bass... but it does seem hard to find one I can afford!
[/quote]

The price of the bass is a crazy deal for the sound.. these era of basses are king

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1325459736' post='1483429']
The price of the bass is a crazy deal for the sound.. these era of basses are king
[/quote]

But that JV isn't a P/J?! lol
The Eternal P/J looks nice, I got a lovely reply from Howard, so I'm gonna try fiddling with what I have first....then if that fails, I'll look into an actual P/J bass.

Si

Went through the same process...then tried a Squier Vintage Mod Jaguar (with the Duncan Designed pups), got over my snobbery and realised the tone options were great now it's my main bass.

3 hours with sandpaper and some plastikote rattlecan to get rid of the tort pickguard and job's a good un.

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/20111231130714820.jpg/"][/url]

(not the best pic, apologies)

Edited by jeed

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1325343337' post='1482325']
3 - Do they do Jazz pickups which have a split coil....so basically a Precision pickup in a Jazz casing? Or are those just approximating the sound?....are they no substitute for a P?[/quote]
I got some Curtis Novak splits in the fretless MIJ and they do pretty much what they say on the tin: they replicate a real good Jazz sound but without the noise at unbalanced volume control positions.

Can't speak for any other split Jazz p/ups and haven't heard any Jazz shaped P mimics - at least not to my knowledge.

I'd be routing a P-Bass for a Jazz p/up. I think they look real cool, too - which begs the question: why do J's with a P p/up at the bridge look so [i][b]very[/b][/i] [i][b]wrong[/b][/i]....?

Edited by mckendrick