Why become a member? ×

Status basses - headed or headless?

Webby308

Ok - I'm ready to take the plunge and boost Colchester's (well Status's) economy and my heart is set on an S2... however having never played a headless bass, I'm unsure about ordering a version with the tuners at the other end.

Any thoughts from S2 players out there on which way to go?

Cheers,

Paul

Mine are all headed for 3 reasons:

I don't like headless basses but I do like the shape of the Status headstock

Headed Status basses as standard are longer scale (34 3/4") which gives a tighter low B on a 5 or 6 string. But you can specify 34" scale length on a headed S2 if you wish, but not the longer scale on the headless as double ball end strings only come in 34" scale length as far as I know.

Not all string manufacturers make double ball end strings although I'm told the string clamp system works well on most headless basses

There's little difference in sound and playability, both headed and headless basses balance well and both stay in tune pretty much always.

Edited by Fat Rich

I recently sold my S2 but there are many practical benefits to the headless design. Tuners won't get knocked, even in transit. Your will find the bass hardly strays out of tune. Lack of a headstock is supposed to help get an even response from the neck. That said, these days I prefer the look of a headed Status and the choice of strings will be bigger without resorting to other means of locking the string.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1324918920' post='1478466']
headless. it's not a huge change, and statii don't look right with the head on
[/quote]

Precisely.
Not to mention that the improvement in balance and reduction in momentum of the neck (due to not having the mass of a headstock dangling on one end of it)
Might be a little bit odd to begin with, but you soon realise the benefits.

I've owned a headless S2, and a headed Empathy, both 5's. If you can get your head (no pun intended) around a headless, it feels very liberating and unencumbered, and there is a school of thought that states the lack of a head means a more even response, as markorbit said. I can't say that, as in my experience I felt my Empathy was more tonally consistent than the S2!

The Empathy isn't made anymore obviously, so if you're going for a new S2, my only advice would be don't go for a bolt-on, pay the extra and get a thru-neck. In my opinion, the extra rigidity seems to make the bass sing a bit more. That said, it's worth noting that the new S2s, unlike the Empathy, don't have a complete 'thru-neck', as it stops at the bridge pickup. What effect that could have on the overall tone of the instrument is endlessly debatable, so I'd wait for others to put in their twopence worth about that!

One warning about the headless - unless you use double ball end strings, be aware that the allen studs used to secure a standard string at the head can fracture the core if over-tightened. I had a couple of Gs snap on me there. You also may fall foul of headless-haters who think anything without a head is an '80's bass'! Ponytails and legwarmers are optional if you play one, of course. :D I like either myself, and the Status head is good looking, compact and nicely in proportion, IMHO.

I have both - but I prefer the headless. The balance is improved, no neck dive at all, and for a modern instrument the headless design is just 'right'

My headless (A streamline) also has the Bendwell which I love, and wrapround LEDS too. And 16.5mm string spacing.

If I was going to buy another, I'd get headless and the bendwell again, definitely. The 16.5mm spacing is perfect for fingerstyle playing bu I find it a little cramped for slap - but I'm not much of a slapper so it doesn't really bother me.

IME the 32 scale with the bendwell doesn't affect a low B at all (mine is a 4 but I often tune BEAD) as the instrument has been built beautifully. Construction and string choice is much more important than the scale.

Glad you fancy headless. Straight string pull, no winding around tuning posts. That said Rob's basses are just as good either way. I have both but would choose headless. As far as neck-thru or bolt-on are concerned; neck-thru as stated earlier will give you a more sparkly tone, slightly more top end. Bolt-on will give a slightly warmer tone. The bolt-on is no less of a bass than a neck-thru except neck-thrus cost a lot more. Neck=thrus come with a standard polyurithane finnish while bolt-ons have a natural satin finnish. Either can be selected as a custom order. However, a bolt-on with polyurethane finnish will cost much the same as a neck-thru. I chose bolt-on for my fretless S2. Just a beautiful, full warm tone with Flats on it.

Standard fingerboard is phenolic but you can ask for a wooden board to be fitted. Phenolic will give you a nice bright clear tone, what Status is known for.

Rob now does pickups that can have switches to engage single coils. That gives you even more choice for tone.

Confused. Keep going and you might just be.

Edited by BassBus

[font=courier new, courier, monospace][size=5]As Iggy Pop said. [b]"Head On[/b]!" [/size][/font]

[font=courier new, courier, monospace][size=5]Headless basses should get back to where they once belonged. ie: In the 1980s with those horrendous [i]keyboard on a guitar strap [/i]contraptions and other assorted anachronisms such as boomboxes the size of a wardrobe to carry high on the shoulder..[/size][/font]

[font=courier new, courier, monospace][size=5]Headless basses just look wrong![/size][/font]

Edited by daz

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1325015717' post='1479178']
Another vote for headless here.

For me, Status epitomise the perfect look for a headless bass.

I've gigged with a Zon and Kubicki headless and the lack of the head and tuners etc is a Godsend on a crowded stage :)
[/quote]

+1

I had a S2 headless and loved it, I sold it to mojobass coz i wasn't gigging I was gutted when it sold and even considered asking for it back. Now I am back gigging I have a spotless 1990 Kubicki and it is just the mutts nuts, probably better than my S2. Although our bands set has started to involve some flat tuning which is a pain in the bum, but i suppose it would be with any bass headed or headless.

I think really it is a personal choice but for me its headless all the way

Headless!! I adore my mine! Something worth mentioning for those who go for an ERB with 6+ strings. Your back will love you for not having all that hardware hanging off the other end of the neck! I'd have loved my single cut 7 to have been headless now that I've spent a good amount of time with the headstock-less variant.

You sure I can't tempt you? ;)

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphite.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/Both.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/S2.jpg[/IMG]

Headed or headless they're great basses, ultimately it's personal preference.

Headless for me too - I've been playing a Series II since I acquired it new in '85, and have a Streamline that I picked up last year. Almost no transition time, lovely compact feel, outstanding tuning stability, and a great aesthetic. I love headed basses too, but a Status for me comes without the head

Edited by lozbass