Why become a member? ×

Booking Gigs For Your Band...

Low End Bee

It falls to 3 of us.. as we are more willing to do it.
It helps if everyone chips in..even if they just pass on the contact.

I generally go after the gigs I want to play..so that is pubs/venues and festival types.
The other two chip in pubs/venues and functions.
I tend to not want to quote the figures the others can quote for functions as I not interested in them as such. ...
It is hard going from pub rates to function rates for basically the same set
or certainly the hours played. we haven't quoted for anything longer than 2 hrs and nor will be be aiming to.

Atm..we do pretty much the same set for everything but functions are so....persuasive, that we are bending the set.
In the new year we will have 3 sets as such.
A pub/club set
A function/dancey set and an originals set.

We don't travel unless petrol is paid..hard in pubs, and we only play pubs that suit us so typically one pub per town.
There is no point playing pubs that our friends wouldn't want to go to.... and we will not squeeze in tiny places.
We can downsize but only upto a point...

I don't know why we bother.. ha ha !!!

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1324466251' post='1474452']
...The most ball achingly annoying time wastery frustrating pursuit bleeding ever.

Discuss...

Merry Xmas everyone :)
[/quote]

Popped in to a local in September to be told they were phasing out cover bands as the originals bands were proving a better draw. Looked at the website this week to see wall to wall blues, classic rock etc! Either the quickest change of heart or the stink of dung!

always book the gigs for one band I'm in - drives me mad and makes me think regular about quitting - like, where do people think the gigs come from? Am I the only one thinking ahead here? :unsure:

Other band I've just joined, we're currently putting a set together and really enjoying being a newbie coming into existing set up - glad to take a back seat and not get involved in gig booking (for a while at least, and then I won't be able to help myself - comes from running your own business!!)

Yup, I do it all for our band ...it's a complete pain in the arse. Most promoters (or should i say wannabe promoters) are a complete waste of space. Fine, if you don't like our music or don't think we fit in with the night/venue/clientele just bloody say so, don't completely ignore my emails/facebook messages you ignorant gits!

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1324470342' post='1474545']
If venue/pub people weren't so vague and terrible at communication it would be OK.

[/quote]

And yet so many of them bleat about how times are tough. The truth is most of them are rubbish businessmen and don't really deserve any success.

I've just re-read that. Wow, this thread has touched some nerves!

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1324485753' post='1474873']
Yup, I do it all for our band ...it's a complete pain in the arse. Most promoters (or should i say wannabe promoters) are a complete waste of space. Fine, if you don't like our music or don't think we fit in with the night/venue/clientele just bloody say so, don't completely ignore my emails/facebook messages you ignorant gits!
[/quote]

This. A little courtesy goes a long way in my book. Its a two way street though, I always have to remind myself that there are dozens of other bands pushing for the same slots.

I did all the booking for my last band, wasn't too bad dealing with the Bookers (I'll only think of them as a promoters if they help with the promotion of the gig) but getting commitment to dates in advance from the other members was what killed the band for me.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1324479538' post='1474771']
Agreed. The most frustrating thing about being in a band IMO. Most Pubs still want Demo CDs! I dont think they've heard of the internet/facebook/youtube thingy. Drives me nuts... :angry:
[/quote]

This is true.... to the point where you wonder why we need a website..!!
If they can't be boithered to click on the links for a mp3..then what chance actually playing the CD..!!

I normally send out something to establish contact then follow it up with a call...and always pick a reasonable time which is less likely to be busy if talking about pubs.

I used to do everything for an early band i was in,
Book gigs,hire van,posters etc,then i got tired of cancelling gigs-whether it was pubs cancelling or band members deciding to book a holiday or any other lame excuse,these days we let the singer book the gigs (I just bring the pa),as he knows when he;s free at weekends but even now its a hard slog despite everyone passing on contacts, we have 3 gigs for next year 1 a wedding-friend of the singers and 2 at one venue-not even a gig on nye this year-why do I bother,
I may as well take up feckin stamp collectin' :angry: :angry:

I work the clubs/corporate events etc. On a wage. Agent gets the bookings. Without agency it would be total bedlam cos the braincells that run those venues are useless.

I did the pubs for years and it's getting more difficul,t for new bands especially. " What band did you used to be in?" if they've never heard of any of your bands, they are suddenly 'fully booked for a whole year'. I really feel for the new bands.

Don't get me started on fees! They are the same as they were 18 years ago.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1324545807' post='1475330']
Hmm, since my punk covers band has reformed, we`ve not tried to book any gigs, but have been offered more than we could actually do.

Found that quite easy, to be honest.
[/quote]
[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1324549810' post='1475398']
You're not helping Lozz!
[/quote]
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1324551386' post='1475420']
I`ll get my coat.............
[/quote]
Sorry, I'm with Lozz too... have turned away 3 x the number of gigs that we actually have in the diary for next year - this is a huge bone of contention for me and one other member so looking forward to having an early January "where are we going?" meeting!

It's more work but if you're struggling to get gigs why not book a venue yourself and put a night on, you can promote it and sell tickets via the websites already mentioned here, to get a bit of a buzz going? It's alot of hard work but it'll give you something to work on and I think you'll be surprised at how many "promoters" will get in touch afterwards if it goes even half well (in my experience anyway)...

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Mace

[quote name='Mace' timestamp='1324560084' post='1475581']
Sorry, I'm with Lozz too... have turned away 3 x the number of gigs that we actually have in the diary for next year - this is a huge bone of contention for me and one other member so looking forward to having an early January "where are we going?" meeting!

It's more work but if you're struggling to get gigs why not book a venue yourself and put a night on, you can promote it and sell tickets via the websites already mentioned here, to get a bit of a buzz going? It's alot of hard work but it'll give you something to work on and I think you'll be surprised at how many "promoters" will get in touch afterwards if it goes even half well (in my experience anyway)...

Merry Christmas!
[/quote]

Absolutely Mace. I've done all that. It's not getting the gigs that's the problem to be fair, It's dealing with a lot of the 'bookers' that's my beef. Just so happens 3 in a row have blown out for reasons that weren't anyhthing to do with us. Plus we're a choosy lot and don't like playing the 4/5 band nights in Camden/Central London that we could be doing every week if we wanted.

Have to say we're turning them away too! Geography has a lot to do with it I think, if you're city based, especially one with a university, there are usually an ample supply of crap bands who will play for nothing and turn up with 50 friends or more. Trying to get a paid gig, even if you're a really good band, is a waste of time.

Move out into the country and there are little places dotted around who will gladly pay good money for a good band because the entire village will come out in force to be entertained at the one pub offering live music for miles around. Thats when the band has the upper hand, and they are usually better run than the fly by night 'promoters' you get at venues in the city.

Sure you might need a convincer, a demo, press pack even (we always send posters to the venue as soon as the booking is agreed and publish the gig on our website - seems to make it harder to cancel if they have something printed with the date on). When my latest band started we just went out and gigged for peanuts while we got used to the set and playing together, the owners loved it because it cost them nothing, and we were good enough to be asked back, at which point we started charging proper rates.

I wouldn't even try and get a gig in the city I live in because we're booked through to 2013 with nice out-of-town places that actually appreciate us, all we have to do is travel a few miles. On the back of that we're getting inundated with functions and weddings from these areas now too.
I guess you go where the work is, then do a good job and the work will come to you...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1324496707' post='1475008']
This is true.... to the point where you wonder why we need a website..!!
If they can't be boithered to click on the links for a mp3..then what chance actually playing the CD..!!

I normally send out something to establish contact then follow it up with a call...and always pick a reasonable time which is less likely to be busy if talking about pubs.
[/quote]
Thats bang on the money. I ALWAYS call about 11am, just before the pub is opening, the landlord/booker is usually there (alone and not able to fob you off with another muppet taking the call!) and usually having a cup of tea and available to talk for 2 precious minutes! He MIGHT even have his diary within reach!