Why become a member? ×

Do you think that "Real" Musicians era is going to end ?

MusicLover20015

Going to college to study music is like studying art. It's not a vocational course like an HND electronic engineering or an apprenticship in plumbing. You don't study music because you want to be able to afford a Ferrari in 10 years time you do it because you love music. I don't know of any professional musicians in my own circle of friends who own Ferraris but I do know they are happy they picked the career path that they did.

University is a great place for networking. Making contacts that will do you well in the future.

Network will fellow musicians (including yeras above and below) but also network with people who are going to be doctors, lawyers, politicians, film proiducers too. These are the people who will book your band or ask you to write material for them. Get to know a good accountant too.

[quote name='MusicLover20015' timestamp='1323887464' post='1468335']
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Hi[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Background Info:[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Im a music student who is currently at Grade 8 Bass (Rockschool). Im going to apply for university this year and do a Full 3 year music degree in my speciality - Bass. [/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Current:[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Now i've been told by Loads of people that i shouldnt opt for this career as its pretty much going to die in the next couple of years. I understand that nowadays unlike before musicians were the ones that were recording, now its all being sampled by some guy sitting at a Mac. [/font][font=comic sans ms,cursive] :huh:[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][u][b]Session musicians are becoming a thing of the past ? [/b][/u][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]I mean, im not looking for finishing Uni and becoming a famous mega rich star because of my bass skills but I wanted to be playing in maybe big bands, record for artists and if that dosen't work out i dont mind teaching [/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]I just wanted to get some views from you guys who are all musicians and what you think about this ?[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Any advice would be great [/font][font=comic sans ms,cursive] :blink:[/font]
[/quote]

Ho ho ho!
These ones always get messy.

The first thing I'd say is to forget about the words big and recording artists. 90% of expectations will not be met. The majority of work will be (for a while at least) with unheard of acts with grand ideas and/or playing music you dont enjoy.

Studio/recording work is becoming a thing of the past. Digital generation has ruined it for a lot of musicians (not just bassists).

Live work will always be out there but getting the gig will be down to ability and nothing else. A degree will get you so far but there is no substitution for having a history in the game.
3 years of full time study will leave little opportunity to get out and gig so effectively you will be starting at scratch regarding contacts in the industry when you graduate. You will obviously make some in collage but how far reaching and how much pull they have will be limited to a degree.

Money wise its extremely tough in the music game to make a substantial amount. Regardless of what road you go down (performance/teaching/both) what you earn will be dictated by many variables all of which will be outside your control. (Reliability of other musicians/trends in the market/economic stability/location/etc).

Having said all that if a degree in Music is what you want then go for it. You'll be what? 23-25ish when you graduate? Plenty of time to get another qualification if you think it wasn't a good choice.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1323957489' post='1469154']
he was probably just trolling. Judging by the response to this thread, I think he's done a pretty good job.
[/quote]

Either that or the weight of all this 'good advice' has scared the living sh*t out of him, and he's hiding behind the nearest sofa. :unsure:

Latest figures I can find are from 2008 - recorded music sales (some guy twiddling with his Mac to paraphrase the OP) down 6%. Live music sales - real muso's going out there and playing - up 13% making the total UK music revenue up 4.7% at £3.6 billion. Also, according to UK Music's 2009 survey, the festival season alone creates 19,700 full time jobs through music tourism. Doesn't look like the end of real musicians to me!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1323957624' post='1469157']
Indeed, if you haven't already done so at an independent school. ;)
[/quote]

Most eton graduates end up going to uni anyway, for some odd reason. They probably don't even need to but I guess it's just the "done thing" so that they can reminisce about their oxbridge education alongside the time they met a black man...

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1323957838' post='1469163']
Either that or the weight of all this 'good advice' has scared the living sh*t out of him, and he's hiding behind the nearest sofa. :unsure:
[/quote]

[i]"I just wanted to get some views from you guys who [b]are all musicians[/b] and what you think about this ?"[/i]

Or perhaps his assumption of Basschat was just wrong.
:lol:

Garry

I must admit that I agree with Nigel and the quote he made earlier in the thread.

As much as we all no doubt want to 'live' well off music, it isn't usually down to having 'studied' it. I opted to take a GCSE in music, which i did very well in, but I knew I couldn't make the living I wanted from it unless I was very very lucky.

My bass tutor has survived from gigging, (jazz usually) session work, recording, and teaching. I think from seeing how he has been doing from the past ten years or so, it can be a struggle.

i think bass is incredibly specific, despite the fact I love playing electric bass more than anything else I've tried.

If I ever thought I wanted to be a full time musician, I would assume skills in piano, vocals, guitar, bass and probably something like saxophone would be the way forward. Then you open your options, even if bass is your number one.

I know its a tough world now. University HAS to count for something and its incredibly expensive, so, I would personally advise unless you are 100% committed and know you have a very very special talent, to take a more academic subject that will lead to a life (hopefully) without the financial strain.

Also, it would be wise to realise that unless you are in a major city, (preferably London) its going to be much harder to get excellent session work.

I personally enjoy music a lot; it takes me away from the drab normal life, but I think if it was my day job, I wouldn't be as enthusiastic. I'm glad I have a career path, and I feel grateful for it. Musicians seem to take what they can and hope for the best for the next chunk of work.

There is of course the other side of bands that hit the big time with NO musicical training whatsoever, just through luck, songwriting, and perserverance. Heck, some of them can barely play! I'd prefer to take that route, because often I find studying it ruins the fun. I like to practice new skills, but once it gets to a certain stage it loses the fun. My career is about studying, so music is an outlet!

I tend to see a lot of musicians who think the lifestyle is easy going, 10 o'clock or later starts, with late night gigs and plenty of fun. Hey, it can be, but it won't earn you much in this climate unless you are lucky.

I personally now rely on word of mouth. If a member of the public or a friend comments in a positive way about my playing, I take that onboard, and keep doing as I do. Hopefully they tell someone, who tell's someone else who can 'hire' you for a dep gig, which make take you to even more gigs. Reputation, personality, and the ability to work under pressure are key to a lifestyle like this. Many musicians earn a sideline by word of mouth and work full or part time in an office/etc to keep the money coming. Best of both worlds, IMO.

Hope this helps.

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]As Ronni James Dio sang[/font][/size] [font=lucida sans unicode, lucida grande, sans-serif][size=6][i]Long Live Rock and Roll. [/i][/size][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]and all her sail in her[/size][/font]
[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1323891555' post='1468476']
to the op. A good idea may be to PM Jakesbass. He's a fantastic guy and is a professional working musician. i'm sure he will offer you plenty of things to think about and it will be far more useful than reading through this any longer.
[/quote]
Thanks Ollie,
I have indeed changed my user name to jakenewmanbass...
I've been a pro player for over 20 years now been playing for 36 years (and I'm only 44) There are many considerations for the OP and the industry has changed a lot in my time and will change further.
Chris2112 has points but he seems to relish spoiling a bit too much for me to take him seriously.
A few others have chimed in on one side or another... most voices seem to be coming from those who don't work in the industry. I for one would not attempt to speak advisedly (certainly not to the extent of offering advice) on global economic matters just because I have a bank account, but quite a few chaps seem to think they have a handle on the music industry because they own a bass :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

to the OP PM me, or call me (I will PM my number if you like) I have a few insights and will give a level and unembittered view of da biz.

Edited by jakenewmanbass

I do not believe that a 'conventional' degree is quite the passport to success that many would aver it to be, other than those which are vocationally necessary, such as law, medicine, the sciences, etc. To my mind, the applicability of a music degree as described by the OP sits somewhere between the conventional and the vocational.

To casually dismiss it as a frippery while ignorant of the specifics would be unwise, since the practical value has been convincingly outlined by others - association, immersive study, etc. If the OP is sufficiently motivated to give music a shot, I fail to see how that is less life-relevant than studying American History or the Classics.

As for having a plan B; the danger in falling back on an alternative is not simply that it dilutes one's commitment in the present. It is that in future years one can be left with a feeling that one didn't quite give the first choice one's best shot.

We live in the moment and the future is entirely unpredictable. If the OP's chances are enhanced to any small amount by their choice of study and it will make them happy for the next few years, then they should embrace it to the full. [color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar