Why become a member? ×

"Satellite" basses

solo4652

Aaah, right. It's not sounding too promising, is it. Just seen this, you see: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fretless-Bass-made-Satellite-through-neck-construction-precision-pickup-/270871168697?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f112e06b9"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fretless-Bass-made-Satellite-through-neck-construction-precision-pickup-/270871168697?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f112e06b9[/url]

If you are after a cheapy knockabout bass, you won't go far wrong with one of the Westfield p bass copies. I picked one up off here the other week, albeit with an upgraded bridge and pickup, for 60 quid, and you know what, it's pretty good. I took it to rehearsal and told the drummer it was a rare 70s fender that had been restored and he commented afterwards that 'it sounds better than all of your others'....look at my signature; I think he was overdoing it a bit, but I'm not scared of knocking it or anything for the money!

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1323521199' post='1464150']
Aaah, right. It's not sounding too promising, is it. Just seen this, you see: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fretless-Bass-made-Satellite-through-neck-construction-precision-pickup-/270871168697?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f112e06b9"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f112e06b9[/url]
[/quote]
My brother had one back in our punk days.. it was f*cking atrocious in every possible way. This one doesn't look to be of the same rubbish ilk and is probably very upgradeable should you not like what it has to offer.

Some of the Satellites were rough!
I have one of these - lent it to my mate, a year ago and although he has access to a lot
of my stuff, that's the one he plays live.

Neck through, lovely Old School sound, very nice to play - not too heavy.
The ony iffy things are the tuners - you would need to budget for those.
Although some ome the posts say don't touch it - I would agree on some of their other stuff
but if you fancy fretless and are new to it, you might be tipped over the edge by the fact there
is a dot for every fret postition - only the punters can't see that!!! :)

Cheers. :)

My first ever bass was a satellite short scale, terrible thing. I kept it for years after I got proficient on the instrument.
I used to use it when we done an encore, Funeral Pyre by The Jam, where at the end of the song where the drummer goes mad, I took it it off and threw it across the stage while still plugged in causing a massive noise!! :)

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1323531004' post='1464278']
Some of the Satellites were rough!
I have one of these - lent it to my mate, a year ago and although he has access to a lot
of my stuff, that's the one he plays live.

Neck through, lovely Old School sound, very nice to play - not too heavy.
The ony iffy things are the tuners - you would need to budget for those.
Although some ome the posts say don't touch it - I would agree on some of their other stuff
but if you fancy fretless and are new to it, you might be tipped over the edge by the fact there

Cheers. :)
[/quote]

[color=#0000CD]Now then, that's interesting....[/color]

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1323539821' post='1464426']
A friend of mine had a Satellite guitar (many) years ago - running joke was that it was misspelling and a suggestion - "set alight"..
[/quote]
Unfortunately you're not allowed to do that as it releases too many toxic fumes.

Here are the seller's answers to my questions:

[color=black]Where was it made? The [/color][color=#0000CD]bass is unmarked apart from a faint 'Satellite' on the headstock but Satellite made their instruments in Japan.[/color]
[color=black]How wide is the neck at the nut? [/color][color=#0000CD]47mm[/color]
[color=black]Do all the electrics work properly?[/color][color=#0000CD] The pickup and rotary tone and volume work great, the output socket could be better (could make a more solid connection) and I would replace it if keeping the instrument, but it does work.[/color]
[color=black]Truss-rod working properly? [/color][color=#0000CD]Yes, this is fine.[/color]
Any major wear or damage? [color=#0000CD]The bass is[/color] [color=#0000CD]in great condition, there is slight surface wear on the fingerboard under the lowest string but this could be sorted out with some kind of oil- there is no roughness or ridging though, the fingerboard is perfectly smooth. The body and neck are in lovely condition. A couple of machine heads rattle at certain frequencies and this is something else I would replace if keeping it. The bridge is a very solid through-body type and all adjustment screws work well.[/color]

Edited by solo4652

I had one of these & it was 'ok'. I sold it to Bassassin (Jon) who sold it on for about the same £65.

They are reasonably well made & if the neck is OK (bear in mind it's a neck-through) then they should be a fine cheap buy. You may want to ask the current owner if the bridge has been rebated into the body. Since the neck is part of the body, it can't be shimmed and the only other way of lowering the action is to lower the bridge into the body - mine was & it played fine. Some of these came with DiMarzio pickups.

G.

I have one of those neck through precisions...it's been upgraded with a wizard pickup and it sounds and plays great! A good weight to it too (a tad on the heavy side, which I prefer). Looking to sell though so if anyone's looking to buy it, they can have it for £70 + postage :)

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1323521199' post='1464150']
Aaah, right. It's not sounding too promising, is it. Just seen this, you see: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fretless-Bass-made-Satellite-through-neck-construction-precision-pickup-/270871168697?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f112e06b9"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f112e06b9[/url]
[/quote]

I see we're fishing in the same water Steve :)
Let me know if you going to put a bid on it
Kris