Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe Range - Which to choose?!

Musicman20

[size=3]After asking questions about these for quite some time, Im going to get one for 'undesirable' gigs venues and rehearsals.

I used to have the SRyder, which worked, dont get me wrong, but you could tell it wasnt worth more than the normal price. The frets were the let down, IMO, (I noticed they started to wear very fast). It wasn't 'bad' at all, but bits of it started to annoy me,

I actually felt much better taking a lower cost bass to certain gigs where space was a premium and we could only fit padded gigs bags, etc. So, despite the fact I shouldn't worry about taking a higher value instrument, sometimes in my circumstances its just easier all round to not have to worry about it. Not only that, we rehearse for free in the drummers small 'drum room' in his garage, which is heavily insulated, but space is very tight and cymbals loom right near me.
So, which will it be?

The Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz in Oly White/Rosewood/Tort
Or the...

Classic Vibe 60s Precision in Fiesta Red/Rosewood/Tort?

If there are owners out there, let me know, especially if you currently own or have owned these basses.

My only worry is the Fiesta Red looks VERY pink...is it?!

I will NOT be modding, apart from some strings later down the line.

Which has the 'best' pickup (s)? (As stock).

The 50s P is not being considered as I prefer these two aesthetically, (and a rosewood board).
Thanks all![/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2] [/size]

Edited by Musicman20

I have the fiesta red precision and its not pink at all IMHO. If you get some really bright light on mine it looks a little paler but it is red. I love it and have had some really nice comments about it. Fretwork, build and general finish on mine is flawless, just incredible, In fact considerably better than my 2010 Fender USA Jazz. Its great to play, nice small frets and great sound, its also nice and light. I use it exclusively for my soul band and most of my pop band over my Stingray 5.

They are superb basses, not just great for the money either, I have played worse basses at triple the price and more. The Jazz is also incredibly good, nice growl on the back pickup and a nice neck profile. Too thin for me though which is why I went for the precision (and because I wanted to look like Pino)

It would have to be the Fiesta Red P for me but then I don't do J necks for very long. They've both got the same 'vintage frets' which make the necks really playable (for me anyway).
I think you've got a better chance of decent output with the P pick ups, the J pickups IMO are often very 'weak'. worth trying A/B in the shop if possible without changing amp settings & see/hear before you buy. I know neither have the highest quality pickups but the P's generally give a bit more output I reckon.

I picked up the earlier sonic blue p-bass recently for pretty much the same reasons you outlined. A very well made instrument I think, good bridge, adequate tuners and felt nice to play... the stock pup was OK (but I've changed it for a wizard trad P), the only let down being the crackly electrics. A quick look inside revealed something that looked like it came out of a christmas cracker, and that's all now been swapped out for the sake of a couple of quid off ebay. Added some new flats and I've got an instrument I'd happily play out anywhere without worrying too much about it's welfare.

One unexpected drawback was when I took it to my local luthier for a once over. Last time I'd been there I took a newish american jazz and some labellas for a setup and they did a sterling job. This time around with a Squier and Fender flats I got the distinct impression they weren't too arsed about doing a good job of it! (which meant it took three visits and a few cross words to get it done well).

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1320765960' post='1431092']
One unexpected drawback was when I took it to my local luthier for a once over. Last time I'd been there I took a newish american jazz and some labellas for a setup and they did a sterling job. This time around with a Squier and Fender flats I got the distinct impression they weren't too arsed about doing a good job of it! (which meant it took three visits and a few cross words to get it done well).
[/quote]

Surprising how some luthiers act like this, almost as if you`re insulting them by presenting them with a Squier/Epiphone etc. Do they not realise that maybe you actually want your backup bass/guitar to play well?

I had similar experiences, which turned out to be lucky for me, as I had Terry Chapman in Stevenage - TJC Guitars - recommended to me. Great standard of work, better prices, and a much better person than the one I was previously using.

With plenty of friendly sympathy Gareth....

Just shut up and buy the f***ing thing! If you think it's too pink there'll be plenty people willing to buy it off you in a heartbeat.

I warn you though, as you are used to nice hefty pickups, the likes of EBMM and Fender original, [b]YOU WILL[/b] find the Squier pickups flimsy and lacking body and definition. And that's a fact.

Frankly I would recommend you to get the Fiesta Red P over the Jazz, as they do sound better.

I have owned both of these basses and whilst I would be the first to admit my knowledge of basses is very limited, for me the P bass is the better of the two, purely because I prefer the sound of the P over the Jazz. Having said that I prefer the look and neck of the Jazz! I'm sure that has helped a lot....not!

Dude...what's wrong with dropping an aftermarket pickup in one of these?! They've got good QC, high mass bridges, but are ultimately built to a budget and it's pretty well accepted that the pickups are one area of compromise, and fortunately one that's easily recitifiable. The world is your oyster when it comes to aftermarket pickups, and the changeover would take all of ten minutes. Statutory warranty...hmm yes perhaps but actually if installed competently even that shouldn't be an issue.

I had the CV Jazz and it was a very nice bass. The pickups could be better and I put some Wizard 64s in mine for a definite but not pricey improvement.

However, in the shop playing them I did think the Precision was better - maybe only because I prefer a Precision anyway - but I bought the Jazz because I already had a Precision but not a Jazz.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1320794547' post='1431663']
Dude...what's wrong with dropping an aftermarket pickup in one of these?! They've got good QC, high mass bridges, but are ultimately built to a budget and it's pretty well accepted that the pickups are one area of compromise, and fortunately one that's easily recitifiable. The world is your oyster when it comes to aftermarket pickups, and the changeover would take all of ten minutes. Statutory warranty...hmm yes perhaps but actually if installed competently even that shouldn't be an issue.
[/quote]

Give that man a large pitcher of the good stuff! Well said, cumpa'!

Musicman20 - please buy the CV precision that`s currently for sale on here.

For one, I`m sure you`ll be satisfied with it, from what I`ve read on others opinions of these basses. Secondly, it will stop me "considering" that I need it as a backup.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1320759035' post='1430892']
[size=3]My only worry is the Fiesta Red looks VERY pink...is it?!

I will NOT be modding, apart from some strings later down the line.

Which has the 'best' pickup (s)? (As stock).[/size]

[size=2] [/size]
[/quote]

Well, as you know i hate the fiesta red, and yes, it is very pink although the room lighting can make it a bit darker. Just dont take it out in daylight as thats when it looks its worst.

I think both have usable pickups. I could live with the stock ones but on a bass this cheap i felt i had nothing to lose by modding them, and it did seem to elevate them higher than as stock.
I now use a Fender Original (62RI) pickup and to my ears this sounds exactly like a P should, I actually now prefer this pup over the Wziard Thumper.

[quote name='farmer61' timestamp='1320762180' post='1430982']
Just ordered a Matt Freeman P in all of it's black loveliness.
[/quote]

Best of the P range IMO but i know Gareth doesn't like Black basses.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1320801487' post='1431735']
I've had two of the Classic Vibe Jazz basses in white. Beautiful instruments for the money they cost, really superb budget basses. I have absolutely no need for them, so I sold them both but they were great. They are head and shoulders above the Vintage Modified stuff.
[/quote]

the one I played wasn't :) , they are certainly different takes on Fender Jazz's, but a CVJ better than a VMJ better.... I wouldn't say so, they are both very good for the money.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1320839631' post='1432034']
the one I played wasn't :) , they are certainly different takes on Fender Jazz's, but a CVJ better than a VMJ better.... I wouldn't say so, they are both very good for the money.
[/quote]

Oh well, you must have found a right old duffer. I had a Squier VM Fretless, which was a pretty good bass. I played some of the VM fretteds but wasn't too blown away by them. The Classic Vibe jazzes have been really good though. The bridge alone makes it worth the premium over the VM, the brass item is so much better than those dodgy bent bits of tin.