Why become a member? ×

NO APPLAUSE!! (upsetting)

LITTLEWING

I am getting to the point where I'm thinking of quitting the gig scene. I know there's a reccession on, but where is everyone on a Friday and Saturday night? Even the one's that do turn up can't even be bothered to clap at the the end of each song. We always give 110% and expect a small ripple of applause at least, but every time... nothing. My daughter was out in a pub with a four piece playing and the same occured there. Don't people show appreciation any more these days or are there so many bands around that we're just human jukeboxes? I know it's not the be all and end all, but it's nice to get some feedback to let you know you're doing it right!

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1320576416' post='1428397']
A few years ago a customer came into our shop and said he'd had his PA amp modified by an electronics guy. He had a switch fitted, and he said before that nobody ever applauded his performance. However, when he flicked the switch, the audience clapped every time.

True story.
[/quote]

Ah yes, that'll be the switch that brought a projector into play displaying a scantily-clap super model on the backdrop :)

Edited by The Bass Doc

Very bad form not to clap in my view. Even if I don't like a band, it takes a lot of effort and courage to step on stage which deserves respect and a bit of a clap.

It is upsetting when people don't applaude your performance. Keep going, there will always be some people who don't appreciate what you/we do as musicians

A few years ago a customer came into our shop and said he'd had his PA amp modified by an electronics guy. He had a switch fitted, and he said before that nobody ever applauded his performance. However, when he flicked the switch, the audience clapped every time.
[/quote]

What did the switch do?

I refer you to this quote from an interview with Jarvis Cocker:

"I guess it was just because I was really into music as a child, and I wanted it to say more. It was the thing, wasn't it? And now it isn't. [b]Music's changed... People still listen to it, but it's not as central, it's more like a scented candle.[/b] It sets the mood. Also, because people like to multi-task, in a way if you've got a bit of music on in the background and the lyrical content is making you want to listen to it, then that would probably put you off the texting you wanted to do. I think people like things that just make that right kind of noise, but leave your brain free to do something else."

[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/16/jarvis-cocker-interview"]http://www.guardian....ocker-interview[/url]

Edit

Edited by discreet

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1320586889' post='1428580']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81qbyTgNcmI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]
[/quote]

:) Love it!

We play regularly at a pub where there's very little seating. Its always pact with punters who go out to watch a live band but as there always holding a pint they cant clap! They just give approving nods and tap the sides of the glass. Theres lots of foot tapping and nodding along and its obvious the set is going down well but at the end of the song its virtually silent.

I find that when I do the acoustic stuff, there is very little clapping.

Full electric with rocking numbers always gets applause!

I went to watch a new band on the Aylesbury scene on Friday and the crowd went mad after every tune.

The misses and I clapped and whooped along with everyone else.

Edited by Blademan_98

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1320583351' post='1428509']
Very bad form not to clap in my view. Even if I don't like a band, it takes a lot of effort and courage to step on stage which deserves respect and a bit of a clap.

It is upsetting when people don't applaude your performance. Keep going, there will always be some people who don't appreciate what you/we do as musicians

What did the switch do?
[/quote]

Haven't a clue.

Did the audience pay to get into the venue?

In one pub we've played a few times, about half the 'audience' were just regulars who are out for a drink and a chat and would probably have been happier if we weren't playing at at all. At least the other half were appreciative though.

The can't-clap-while-holding-a-pint thing can be a problem but in my limited experience that doesn't stop people cheering or making some sort of apreciative noise.

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1320575988' post='1428391']
I am getting to the point where I'm thinking of quitting the gig scene. I know there's a reccession on, but where is everyone on a Friday and Saturday night? Even the one's that do turn up can't even be bothered to clap at the the end of each song. We always give 110% and expect a small ripple of applause at least, but every time... nothing. My daughter was out in a pub with a four piece playing and the same occured there. Don't people show appreciation any more these days or are there so many bands around that we're just human jukeboxes? I know it's not the be all and end all, but it's nice to get some feedback to let you know you're doing it right!
[/quote]
When you say you give 110% do mean in your playing or the evening as a whole?? How much interaction with the punters do you have?? If it's just a case of "This next song is ............. originally done by ............" before every song then you [i]will[/i] be just a juke-box. If you have some banter before & during then you'll either get the crowd with you, or be able to guage whether the crowd [i]want[/i] to be with you - or just want to be left to the boozing & talking with their mates.

True story.
[/quote]

Was it by any chance labelled "Power"?

Liam

We've had this from time-to-time and it's our opinion that either:

1). The audience are a bunch of dicks. VERY rare, but it has happened and those aren't venues to which we return.
2). We aren't the band they want to see. Has happened a few times, the clue is being asked for 'Sweet Child of Mine'. May as well start packing up then
3). We're playing badly. Also has happened, but it makes it harder to pull yourself together when faced with total indifference.

As a percentage of our gigs, it doesn't happen often, thankfully!

I mean 110% playing. Keeping tight, best harmonies etc. and perfect endings. Admittedly, we could banter more with the crowd and get some sort of guage that way. Having said all that, we had a first time gig at a local and they went crazy after every toon, did three encores and the landlady couldn't stop thanking us for coming their way, so it can't be us! Crazy world...