Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar

JakeBrownBass

mmm....curious now....

I've got a pair of Ashdown minicabs (1x15 and 4x8) which I do quite like. Has anyone by chance tried a Reidmar with these or have any opinion about that as a set-up. I'm currently running that with an Ashdown ABM500 head. Both cabs are 8 ohm.

I'd also be interested in knowing if I did change to a Reidmar and two 1x12" classic cabs if that would be sufficient to cut through and cope with a fairly loud/noisy guitarist who is unable to understand what the volume control is for. I've also seen thos Genz Benz Focus 1x12 cabs as a possible alternative to the EBS cabs if anyone knows anything about those.

Cheers on a lovely sunny day!!!

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1330266078' post='1554829']
So i was thinking about getting one of these. Im still worried about the 250 watts thing. Im using hartke lh500 at the moment, which has always been great through a single 8 ohm 15" cab.

Id be using it mostly in small venues(anyone in dublin think, sweeneys, mercantile, wheelans etc) playing with anything from a 3 piece to a 9-10 piece with a horn section, keys etc. Also it might be a clean signal or quite dubby with a good few pedals, depending on the act. I would like to get it with the two 1x12 ebs classic cabs, id prefer 2 2x10's but there so damn expensive it seems for anything good.

Do you think it would work for me?
[/quote]

I've gigged in all of the above with a 150 watt 1x15 Trace Elliot combo with no problems. The Merc is a horrible place for sucking your tone so keep that in mind. I've only used my LH500 in Whelans with an 8x10 and it was ridiculously loud, I only got the volume knob to just under 1.

The EBS should have no bother in them to be honest. Its a superb little head.

Well, i'm picking mine up next weekend or the other one after. I've tried it and i can confirm everything people have been saying about it, stupidly loud and very good sound. I can notice a bit of colouring on the sound even if set flat but nothing major. Only flaw i've seen on it its the lack of a mute switch. I would also like to know if the compressor is placed before the DI so if you were usind the DI in Pre-EQ it still would be affected by the compressor. That would be a big plus because i could remove my Multicomp from the board.

I'm still to decide wich cab to use with it, i was looking for a single 12" solution, right now i'm divided between the EBS Neo 112 and the Barefaced Midget T, i already have a Neo 110 so i think i'll start looking for a Midget and compare both...
If anyone wants to trade his midgetT let me know, i have a shuttle 9.0 that o could trade if the Reidmar takes its place ;)

Cheers

[quote name='littlegreenman' timestamp='1332893794' post='1594652']
Beginning to get the feeling I will be getting one soon :)
[/quote]
[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1332894982' post='1594663']
[size=5][sub]hmmm am tempted... such a good looking little mini-rig.[/sub][/size]
[/quote]
I'll race you to see wich of us puts his on the sales forum first, :lol:
BC, keeping the economy going...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1332938631' post='1595120']
Yep..not sure I can use a 250w amp, tbh. I think I should be able to but doubt I could.
And I have very good single 12's anyway so maybe I just want a small amp like a TH500
[/quote]

Sorry to be the one telling you this but i have the Shuttle 9.0 (same B&O power stage than the TH500) and the Reidmar is louder wilst retaining definition. If i push the 9.0 too much things start to compress and dissapear...

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1332943153' post='1595219']
Sorry to be the one telling you this but i have the Shuttle 9.0 (same B&O power stage than the TH500) and the Reidmar is louder wilst retaining definition. If i push the 9.0 too much things start to compress and dissapear...
[/quote]

hmm ok, I have two amps 400w and 550w at 4 ohms and weigh 20lbs max so if I need something smaller and compact will keep the Reidmar in mind.
Will see how their history pans out as in no rush, atm

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1332951773' post='1595448']
hmm ok, I have two amps 400w and 550w at 4 ohms and weigh 20lbs max so if I need something smaller and compact will keep the Reidmar in mind.
Will see how their history pans out as in no rush, atm
[/quote]

I just played the Roundhouse in Camden with the Reidmar and one 8 ohms cab so thats 125 watts and I needed to have no bass through the foldback monitors and the amp was set at about 2.5 on the volume. I even turned it down at one stage :) I think we have all been misled a little with big numbers and low outputs from recent years with these small amp heads where as the Reidmar is much more old school and more accurate with its figures..

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1332943153' post='1595219']

[/quote]

That's absolutely crazy, but good to know. I think the limiters in the new .2 models and the Streamliners have much more push on them, but it's mental to think that the TH500 has the same module and the Reidmar keeps up with the 9.0!

This, and the fact the TC amps have such a weird concept for volume makes you realise that actual numbers mean nothing.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1332956830' post='1595555']
...the Reidmar and one 8 ohms cab so thats 125 watts and I needed to have no bass through the foldback monitors and the amp was set at about 2.5 on the volume. I even turned it down at one stage...
[/quote]

I'm having the same experience with my LM250 and BFM J12 cab (8 ohms). It's monstrous and I only ever have the master up at around 30%, maximum. This with a nine-piece band.

Quite happy to dismiss certain numbers but I play very quietly and need headroom on my amps. everyone I know gets faaar more volume out of my set-up than I do...
as they simply bash the strings harder.

With both my amps... for decent sized stages, I have to drive between 12-and 2 o'clcock with the Parametrics flat. That is more than enough volume into 4 ohms and the sound stays focused
on the TF-550 more than the SWR which has a tube pre.

I'll have to borrow and demo one of these Reidmars if I was going to consider buying one as I just don't know if it would work for me. Quite happy to accept it works for others, tho.

I still prefer the clearer tone of my 9.0 over the tiny colour of the Reidmar (from the short run i made with one in the music shop) but it does have more headroom. I play my 9.0 with preamp gain at 12h, volume at 15h and the master volume around 12h. Everything else is set flat and no filters. I'm also a light player and don't like too much rumble on stage. I'll get the Reidmar to experiment and see if it's build quality maches the GB's and if i can get as much transparent sound as i get from the 9.0 but with more headroom and a little bit more low-end (not much, i prefer low-mid and leave all the sub-bass to the kick drum). I'll post my findings in a few days, i expect to go pick up the amp this saturday.
I still think the GB is a fantastic head and is the lightest head with the better tone on the market, they exagerated on the power rating though, i would say that with a 4ohm load it can deliver something like 300 to 400 of the old watts (i'm talking about Trace Elliot watts! ;) )

You can't really comment on the colouration of a head unless you tried the two heads through the same cabs. The cabs colour the tone more than you would think. I'm guessing that you use your GB with the EBS Neos (going by your sig) and at a guess you tried the Reidmar through some classic cabs. Those two sets of cabs, sound wildly different. Anyway, let us know how you get on when you can A/B the heads side by side at home through the same cabs.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1333023507' post='1596289']
You can't really comment on the colouration of a head unless you tried the two heads through the same cabs. The cabs colour the tone more than you would think. I'm guessing that you use your GB with the EBS Neos (going by your sig) and at a guess you tried the Reidmar through some classic cabs. Those two sets of cabs, sound wildly different. Anyway, let us know how you get on when you can A/B the heads side by side at home through the same cabs.
[/quote]

Nope! I tried the Reidmar with the Neo 110 (the one i came out of the store with ;) ) and even took my GB with me for comparison, the Reidmar was lower and louder. There's a bit of colouring going on there, that i can assure you but not much, i believe that a mild touch on the EQ will bring that mid scoop back to life again!

edit: But i'll give them a better test once i have them both and post my feelings.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Collected mine from PMT Birmingham yesterday yes awesome little head. Through my friends 410 proline was immense, but I need someting a little more modest for my needs can't decide whether to go for 4 ohm 210 or start with a 112 classic.

[quote name='tividalebass' timestamp='1333279536' post='1599459']
Collected mine from PMT Birmingham yesterday yes awesome little head. Through my friends 410 proline was immense, but I need someting a little more modest for my needs can't decide whether to go for 4 ohm 210 or start with a 112 classic.
[/quote]

The voicing of the Classicline cabs are very different to the Proline or Neoline cabs. They are a little more rounder in the low end and not as sparkly...more traditional I guess. But, because the Classicline cabs are 8ohms you can mix and match two different size cabs to get a full range backline. With a Pro or Neo cab you are stuck with just the one cab because the Reidmar runs down to 4ohm. It all depends what tone you want to achieve and how much kit you want to travel with.

First impressions after one rehearsall without time to setting up properlly, it's in fact louder than the 9.0 but i still couldn't get the EQ just right, it has more lows than the GB and some of them were mudding the sound, there was also something going on the mid region that i couldn't get along with, i cutted a bit on the [s]250k[/s][b] 250hz[/b] and it got better.
Conclusion, i still need to mess with the EQ for a little while longer, from the first impression i can say that is louder but not as transparent as the GB. My bandmates commented that they prefer the GB due to it's definition. I'll post more once i find a suitable EQ.

edit: i was off by 24750hz... LOL

Edited by Ghost_Bass

I might have an issue with my Reidmar. At loud volumes it's cutting out when I slap...as if it was hitting a limiter. It has only started to happen over the past couple of weeks. Even when the compressor/limiter control is off it still happens. Has anyone come across this yet? It could be that I am pushing the amp to its full capability, but it's a concern nonetheless.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1334059821' post='1610233']
I might have an issue with my Reidmar. At loud volumes it's cutting out when I slap...as if it was hitting a limiter. It has only started to happen over the past couple of weeks. Even when the compressor/limiter control is off it still happens. Has anyone come across this yet? It could be that I am pushing the amp to its full capability, but it's a concern nonetheless.
[/quote]

Thats a shame shizznit. Hope its nothing serious. Not had any probs with mine but not needed to push it that hard so far. Keep us posted on how it goes.