Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar

JakeBrownBass

Got a Reidmar today, traded with a basschatter for my Markbass LM2 and so far I am a very happy boy.

I was very sceptical about its output but it is VERY loud, I need to wait to get to practice this week and give it a full run but initially it is monsterous. Great tone and just what I was after, clean, clear plenty of welly to it and it sounds great with my Neo 4x10.

I am ever so slightly dissapointed with the build, it's very solid but the speakon connector is getting stuck and doesnt have a good solid click like the LM2, but on the whole it is a great little amp and considering its cost, it is a steal and sounds a lot better than the LM2 to my ears. I cant see this going anywhere unless my band gets some big work and I get tempted by a HD350 so I can get another cab and go to 2 ohms.

Well done EBS is all I can say! I really hope they develop smaller heads now as I would love to see a Swedish built head of this size (or smaller) that will run down to 2ohms so that we have the choice or running two of the top of the range EBS cabs. I think they missed a trick there but for a first effort this still beats every small bass head I have played.

Interesting topic... I'd like to know if anybody (during a head-to-head between the Reidmar and the HD350) noticed a different "flavor" of the low frequencies.
When I compared an old Markbass with one of the actual ones with the A/B class power stage I noticed that the lows were very different. The new model sounded "hollow"... not at 100hz but under that frequency.
Did you experience the same with the Reidmar? I guess you did if you paid enough attention, I think the difference is caused by the old school transformers used in the heavy amps. They still sound better than class D and A/B as far as I know...
I'd love to go back to light amps but I hate that "flavor" on the lows.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1330888415' post='1564444']
Got a Reidmar today, traded with a basschatter for my Markbass LM2 and so far I am a very happy boy.

I was very sceptical about its output but it is VERY loud, I need to wait to get to practice this week and give it a full run but initially it is monsterous. Great tone and just what I was after, clean, clear plenty of welly to it and it sounds great with my Neo 4x10.

I am ever so slightly dissapointed with the build, it's very solid but the speakon connector is getting stuck and doesnt have a good solid click like the LM2, but on the whole it is a great little amp and considering its cost, it is a steal and sounds a lot better than the LM2 to my ears. I cant see this going anywhere unless my band gets some big work and I get tempted by a HD350 so I can get another cab and go to 2 ohms.

Well done EBS is all I can say! I really hope they develop smaller heads now as I would love to see a Swedish built head of this size (or smaller) that will run down to 2ohms so that we have the choice or running two of the top of the range EBS cabs. I think they missed a trick there but for a first effort this still beats every small bass head I have played.
[/quote]

Welcome to the Reidmar club.

How do you find your EBS Neo 410? I am thinking about getting one of these. Not for the Reidmar but more likley to go with either a Fafner II or HD660. Would you say its good for rock type music and is it a clean sound or an old school fat sound? Any thoughts really appreciated.

The Neo 410 is a beast of a cab, I use it for a covers band so I play pop, soul, rock, bit of everything and its just a case of tweaking the eq a bit depending on what your playing. My precision sounds lovely with the Reidmar and the cab but when I first plugged the Reidmar in, my Stingray needed the top end taming even with eq set flat on the bass as the Neo can get very 'sparkly' in the highs with the tweeter up high (I had it very high with the MarkBass)

I am not a slap player of any kind just in case you thought I might have a tendancy towards that kind of sound, but I like a well defined clear top end and the amp and cab deliver in the bucket load. I just like clean amps and cabs and it does a lovely fingerstyle tone and roll the treble off and the tweeter a little, and you have more of a traditional sound and thump, but still incredibly clear. Lots of low end grunt (takes my 5 string without flinching)and a very punchy mid range so you will cut through incredibly well.

With a bit of experimenting I would say this cab will do whatever you need, its just very transparent IMO. I would get a Neo 410 or 212 even if you dont get a Fafner, its sounds superb with the Reidmar so far, just need to see what it is like at practice now but cant see myself being dissapointed.

Thank you NJE, that all sounds perfect and it sounds like your ideal tone is very similar to mine. So the NEO 410 is top of my list if the prpject I am working on comes off. Plus I can add a NEO 210 on top for more headroom with the Fafner or HD660 taking it down to 2 ohms. So plenty of scope.

No worries, I can't see anyone not liking the Neo 410, its just superb. Quick question to all you Reidmar users, is the Bright control supposed to be subtle? I notice very little difference between min and max. Maybe its because I'm using it very quietly at home, perhaps it will open up more when I get to practice.

Cheers.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1330957192' post='1565302']
No worries, I can't see anyone not liking the Neo 410, its just superb. Quick question to all you Reidmar users, is the Bright control supposed to be subtle? I notice very little difference between min and max. Maybe its because I'm using it very quietly at home, perhaps it will open up more when I get to practice.

Cheers.
[/quote]

It really is dependant on the bass. Something like a Stingray or other active basses does make it more noticeable over a passive bass.

Just taken delivery of the Reidmar, very impressive indeed and I must say, very similar sounds to that of my EBS Fafner head. Only thing is the cooling fan seems quite loud, not in a faulty way but possibly because the unit is so small. It'll get drowned out once I start playing. I've emailed EBS to check this is normal as the Fafner is very quiet in comparison, but then it's a hell of a lot bigger and more expensive.

[quote name='ade' timestamp='1331245341' post='1570374']
Just taken delivery of the Reidmar, very impressive indeed and I must say, very similar sounds to that of my EBS Fafner head. Only thing is the cooling fan seems quite loud, not in a faulty way but possibly because the unit is so small. It'll get drowned out once I start playing. I've emailed EBS to check this is normal as the Fafner is very quiet in comparison, but then it's a hell of a lot bigger and more expensive.
[/quote]

When I A/B'd the Reidmar with my HD350 the fan was quieter on the Reidmar. I record with the Reidmar instead of the HD350 now because it is a bit quieter. I have never owned a Fafner so I can't comment on how loud the fan is, but the Reidmar cooling fan is tiny in comparison to my HD350.

Is it buzzing or just really whiney?

I actually tested this today. Great little amp - was going through a classic line 112.

Would still be curious how it would handle a gig.
£399 and £200 odd for the single cab. Would be nice having such a nice setup.

Edited by woodyratm

[quote name='ade' timestamp='1331297894' post='1570947']
Just humming away. No buzz or whine to indicate anything faulty. I owned a small Markbass combo and the fan on that was almost inaudible.
[/quote]

Yeah, I have to admit that the Reidmar is a bit noisier than the LMIII amp I had before it. But, I still think my HD350 cooling fan is louder. Just wish that I have a Fafner to compare it against (you lucky dog you!)

Edited by shizznit

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1331246926' post='1570413']
Anybody compared the Reidmar with another mini-head and can comment about the price and the power?
For example: is it more powerful than a LM250? Is it made "better" than the other chinese amps (MB200, Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0, Mibass 220 etc.)?
[/quote]

I had a MarkBass LM2 and only last night had my first proper band rehearsal with the Reidmar. I was very sceptical about the volume but the Reidmar is significantly louder than the LM2. I usually ran the LM2 at 11 - 12 o clock to keep up with the band and last night the reidmar was at 9 o clock. Its cleaner and seems to keep the full range of tone whereas the MarkBass seemed to limit the bottom end and lack definition in the top.

Construction wise I would say the MarkBass would ever so slightly beat the reidmar, it just felt a little more solid and 'drop proof' but the Reidmar is incredibly well made and just sounds incredible. One song into practice and my drummer said "already sounds way better".

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1331299065' post='1570973']
I actually tested this today. Great little amp - was going through a classic line 112.

Would still be curious how it would handle a gig.
£399 and £200 odd for the single cab. Would be nice having such a nice setup.
[/quote]

Volume wise the Reidmar will be more than adequate for most gigs in my opinion, my band are loud at practice and as I said above it was handling it easily. Personally a classic line 112 would not be anywhere near enough for my needs but it depends on what kind of gigs you are doing and if you have PA support. I fancy one for home practice but I would suggest two of them to run the head at 4ohm (two new ones for sale on here for £400) and that will give you a nice rig I reckon.

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1331302148' post='1571054']
NJE - keeping the volume knobs at the same level doesn't make the amps work at the same level. Some heads have most of the volume in the first half of the knob rotation while others are more "progressive".
Did you compare it with a LM2 (500w)?
[/quote]

Yes I am very aware that most amp makers use a volume control which gives the illusion of more power by delivering more sound earlier as you turn and then have no increase in volume. I didnt have a thorough comparison between the both amps but I can draw some basic comparisons after using them both at volume.

1. When I increased the volume past half way on my LM2 not a lot happened apart from me losing definition and the amp starting to get woolly and distorted, most of the 'usable' volume was up to half way.
2. When I increase the volume of the EBS past half way it does get louder but less so as you keep turning, BUT the amp stays loud and defined and the volume is 'usable'
4. The EBS is louder at quarter volume and half volume than the Markbass.
3. With volume at half way on both amps the EBS is louder and clearer, past half way and the LM2 would get louder but start to break up and lose low end clarity whereas the EBS doesn't.

The LM2 may well be louder if you turn it right up but that distorted, muddy sound was useless. What the EBS can do is go louder and retain a usable tone and that makes it a better more powerful useful amp to me.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1331304756' post='1571118']
Yes I am very aware that most amp makers use a volume control which gives the illusion of more power by delivering more sound earlier as you turn and then have no increase in volume. I didnt have a thorough comparison between the both amps but I can draw some basic comparisons after using them both at volume.

1. When I increased the volume past half way on my LM2 not a lot happened apart from me losing definition and the amp starting to get woolly and distorted, most of the 'usable' volume was up to half way.
2. When I increase the volume of the EBS past half way it does get louder but less so as you keep turning, BUT the amp stays loud and defined and the volume is 'usable'
4. The EBS is louder at quarter volume and half volume than the Markbass.
3. With volume at half way on both amps the EBS is louder and clearer, past half way and the LM2 would get louder but start to break up and lose low end clarity whereas the EBS doesn't.

The LM2 may well be louder if you turn it right up but that distorted, muddy sound was useless. What the EBS can do is go louder and retain a usable tone and that makes it a better more powerful useful amp to me.
[/quote]

+1 I can testify to that

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of feedback with regards to using my EBS Reidmar and single EBS Classic 112 cab whilst on tour supporting Paul Weller at the Roundhouse in Camden this week. This is the first time I have used it at a proper gig rather than at home and I can confirm it performed amazingly. If anyone is in doubt about the volume or output of this little head then please don't. It is so loud that I needed to not use any monitors and I only had the gain set at 12 O' Clock and the volume at 2.5. You can see my settings in the second picture. Gain and Compression at 12 O' Clock. Bass is set flat, Mids and Htz at 10 O ' Clock. Treble flat and bright is off and the volume at 2.5. It is uber loud and sounded great.

Anyway, here are some photos of it in use :)

Edited by Linus27