Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar

JakeBrownBass

First gig with mine this Thursday with the belly dance band [url="http://www.raqsonic.com/"]http://www.raqsonic.com/[/url], Looking forward to giving it a proper run out, just cannot decide on one or two cabs. It's a low volume gig and upstairs at the venue so guess one will be favourite.

PS i also use flight cases from maplins for my amps

[quote name='jcater' timestamp='1329296686' post='1540074']
First gig with mine this Thursday with the belly dance band [url="http://www.raqsonic.com/"]http://www.raqsonic.com/[/url], Looking forward to giving it a proper run out, just cannot decide on one or two cabs. It's a low volume gig and upstairs at the venue so guess one will be favourite.

PS i also use flight cases from maplins for my amps
[/quote]

Let us know how the gig goes. I suspect one cab will be loud enough if its a low volume gig.

I've just ordered a Mono bag for my Reidmar. Fingers crossed its tough enough. Otherwise it will be off to Maplins for a flight case :)

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1329300432' post='1540130']
Folks,

I have a TC Classsic 450 driving a BF Compact. I'm slightly concerned that I'm not accessing the full potential of the Compact. Would the Reidmar give me more volume for pub-rock gigs, do you think?

Steve
[/quote]

Without getting into the debate about power efficiency of digital amps (there are already plenty of threads about that!), I can genuinely confirm that the Reidmar is very loud at it's power rating. If you jump back post [b]#101[/b] on this thread the image I posted will surprise you as much as it surprised me.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1329301864' post='1540159']
Without getting into the debate about power efficiency of digital amps (there are already plenty of threads about that!), I can genuinely confirm that the Reidmar is very loud at it's power rating. If you jump back post [b]#101[/b] on this thread the image I posted will surprise you as much as it surprised me.
[/quote]

Yes - I saw that. I've read through the whole thread. Some parts are pretty technical and I'm struggling to keep up. The TC Classic drives the BF Compact well enough, but I've noticed I'm already at 3/4 main volume at rehearsal. I'm a bit concerned that I'll run out of headroom at gigs (coming up shortly). I was wondering whether the Reidmar would give me more volume and more headroom than the TC Classic. I like things simple - no valves, small number of knobs, passive basses, no pedals. Plug 'n' play, that's me.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1329301864' post='1540159']
[/quote]

I can also confirm that the Reidmar is very loud. My markBass combo is running at 8 ohms and pumps out 300 watts. My Reidmar is also running at 8 ohms into one Classic 112 cab and should be pumping out 125 watts. The Reidmar is as loud if not louder.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1329302430' post='1540168']
Yes - I saw that. I've read through the whole thread. Some parts are pretty technical and I'm struggling to keep up. The TC Classic drives the BF Compact well enough, but I've noticed I'm already at 3/4 main volume at rehearsal. I'm a bit concerned that I'll run out of headroom at gigs (coming up shortly). I was wondering whether the Reidmar would give me more volume and more headroom than the TC Classic. I like things simple - no valves, small number of knobs, passive basses, no pedals. Plug 'n' play, that's me.
[/quote]

When I used my Reidmar at full tilt for the first time it was at a gig. Before I bought that amp I was using a Mark Bass LMIII into a David Eden XLT210 350w 8ohm cab. I would say that I was using around 50-60% of the headroom from that amp, which isn't too shabby. With the Reidmar it's more like 35-45%, so it's certainly more efficient than the LMIII was. After I was confident that the amp could handle my Proline 800w 410 4ohm cab I then took the decision to buy an EBS Neoline 210. When I reviewed the Neoline 210 a couple of days ago I had the amp at 25% volume. My flat was shaking and the cab was tight as a drum. I haven't really cranked it to melting point yet, so I will report back after my gig tonight to see how it performs in a real life situation, but I am going to put my mortgage on the guys in the band shooting daggers at me very quickly and promptly turn down! But, I am going to see how hard I can push this thing through that cab before we line check.

One thing I have noticed recently is that the Bright control doesn't seem to have much affect on my David Eden XLT210. I typically don't use the tweeter on that cab anyway, but when I tested it the voicing is not affected as much as it is on EBS cabs. You can hear it, but it's not as dramatic. Scratching my head a little bit on that one!? :blink:

This amp is so simple to use. I tend to set the EQ quite flat for either a passive or active bass and just adjust the mid frequency. It takes me seconds to find a tone that will suit whatever I need. I might tweak a couple of other controls by small measures to suit the acoustics of the stage or room.

[quote name='jcater' timestamp='1329304680' post='1540229']
I have this plan for a bigger gig to use the HD350 via the two classic 12 cabs, one neo 112 and one neo 110. After advice from here this would seem to be ok as the HD350 can go down to 2 ohms.
[/quote]

I would like to pair up my Neo 210 with a Neo 112 or even a 212, but I am cautious that the Reidmar won't operate at 2ohms. I feel that an email to Ralph @ EBS is on the cards! But, more cabs mean more kit to pack in the car so its defeating the object to have a portable rig and I might as well just take my HD350 and Proline 410.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1329306688' post='1540265']
I would like to pair up my Neo 210 with a Neo 112 or even a 212, but I am cautious that the Reidmar won't operate at 2ohms. I feel that an email to Ralph @ EBS is on the cards! But, more cabs mean more kit to pack in the car so its defeating the object to have a portable rig and I might as well just take my HD350 and Proline 410.
[/quote]

To be honest, I don't think I need another Classic 112 as the gigs I am doing I think the Reidmar is so damn loud and powerful with my single 112 that it would be a waste. The test is going to be next month when I play The Roundhouse in Camden which is a 3,500 capacity venue. Ok, its an acoustic band and we will have PA support but I don't think I am going to need anymore. At the moment I just turn the Classic 112 on its side to give me a bit more headroom and jobs a carrot. Even if we had some kind of jazz style drummer, I think a single 112 would stil be ample.

Saying that, I will get another Classic 112 to cover any future possibilities and they are good value for money but i really can't see me using it ever :)

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1329300432' post='1540130']
Folks,

I have a TC Classsic 450 driving a BF Compact. I'm slightly concerned that I'm not accessing the full potential of the Compact. Would the Reidmar give me more volume for pub-rock gigs, do you think?

Steve
[/quote]

Replacing the Classic 450 is my plan too.

At present, I've got the Classic 450 running into 2 TC cabs, a RC212 and an RC210. I like the cabs a lot and they're both 8 Ohms so running them both will allow the full 250 beans from a Reidmar in a 4 Ohm load.

It's not that I don't like the Classic 450. It's a great sounding amp and as loud as a loud thing but I'd love that HD350 tone back but in a much smaller lighter package.

T

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1329307437' post='1540287']
It's not that I don't like the Classic 450. It's a great sounding amp and as loud as a loud thing but I'd love that HD350 tone back but in a much smaller lighter package.
[/quote]

I had the same intentions when I bought my Reidmar. The Mark Bass amps are awesome and I would recommend them to anyone, but I much prefer the EBS tone behind me. When the Reidmar was launched I leaped at the chance of finally having the same tone that my HD350 can provide at a fraction of the weight at my disposal.

[quote name='jcater' timestamp='1329307885' post='1540303']
Which band and date is it at the roundhouse? Might come along
[/quote]

My band is called Cow and we are supporting Paul Weller for three nights, Tuesday 20th March, Wednesday 21st March and Thursday 22nd March. I do have the option of two tickets per night so if you would like any then let me know but we have been told that each ticket will cost £10 which will go to charity.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1329306688' post='1540265']
[/quote]

I know, this is where I feel a bit :(

The whole lightweight EBS amp is geared around 4 ohms whereas the neoline series of cabs (when you want to run 2) is generally geared around 2 ohms (e.g. for the HD350, Fafner, TD660).

A quick report back from last nights gig with the belly dance band. The Reidmar and one classic 12 cab worked really well. The band only consists of one keyboard, two percussionists, (both miked up), one dancer and me so it was never going to be a loud gig.
i used the GB Rumour bass with the amp set to 11 o'clock on the gain volume and 8 o'clock, or 2 depending how you prefer to think about it (i.e. hardly on), on the output volume. This was easily enough volume. Missed having the 2nd cab just to have a bit more height but there was nowhere that i could place the one cab in a raised position and no useful crates to stand it on.
Another bass player in the audience commented on the clarity of the bass which was really pleasing.

Next time i may try the amp with one or both of the Neo 112 & 110 cabs just to compare

I would reccomend this amp and cabs to anyone looking for some real quality at a very reasonable price. EBS may have a reputation for being the slap bass choice but believe me they are so much more than that. I don't play slap and use flat strings! Don't waste your money on other amp / cabs just get these.

The covers from Roqsolid arrived yesterday and they are also really good!

Nice one Jeff. All sounds very positive. My Roqsolid cover also arrived and I am also really impressed. Fits perfect and was not expecting the hidden flap that goes underneath the bottom of the cab and velco's onto the other side. Nice little feature that was never on my GB cab cover.