Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar

JakeBrownBass

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1326916034' post='1503788']
Correct. The mid freq is used in conjunction with mid level. Its setting the point at which the mid is centred - and of course the notch. The bright pot sounds a bit of a mystery though.
[/quote]

Ok, thanks.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1326915482' post='1503777']
Yes they are all working fine although am I right in thinking that the frequency dial only works in conjunction with the Mid dial. Turning the frequency dial on its own makes no difference to the tone.
[/quote]

The way mid sweeps work is that you set a frequency and then dial in the boost of cut and at that point you will hear a change in tone. You either have a stacked control ( as per a retro ) or two seperate controls
The frequency knob does nothing but set the freq to be affected.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1326926647' post='1504012']
The way mid sweeps work is that you set a frequency and then dial in the boost of cut and at that point you will hear a change in tone. You either have a stacked control ( as per a retro ) or two seperate controls
The frequency knob does nothing but set the freq to be affected.
[/quote]

Thanks JTUK, that all seems to be working thankfully as you describe.

Edited by Linus27

[sub]You have a lot of control with a sweep like that...depending on the plus or minus db level. 15db..which isn't unheard of, is a lot of control.[/sub]

[sub]I favour a 4 band semi parametric on amps at times..as this has so much scope through the amps frequency range but I find it MOST useful to notch out an annoying frequency like a bass boom, mostly[/sub]
[sub]Amps like SWR SM series, Eden and Thunderfunk to name just a few, use them. Great amps, IMO[/sub]

[sub]It is shame you have problem or two as the[/sub][sub]se sound like a great little range[/sub]

Ah, it might have been strings, the onboard tone controls, or anything like that. Especially when playing with fingers. With a Ray being so aggressive, I bet that brings the control into play.

Trying some aggressive pick playing with your other basses, with the tone all the way up and tweeter on. Hopefully should make a difference. :)

Glad its sorted.

Cheers gareth, will give that a try.

Can those who have a Reidmar, post there EQ settings please. I am currently using shizznit's setting would sound ace apart from I don't have the character button on as that makes it very full and bassy. Might be different in a gig situation. His settings are roughly this,

CHARACTER BUTTON: Off
ACTIVE FILTER: On

BASS: 2 O clock
MID: 10 O Clock
FREQ: 2 O Clock
TREBLE: 2 O Clock

Can others post how they have their EQ please.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1327014493' post='1505401']
Can others post how they have their EQ please.
[/quote]

Ooops! Forgot to do this a couple of days ago!

Even though I tweak my EQ and compression to suit either a passive or active tone I do also make subtle changes depending on which bass I use. I usually set my active EQ on the basses flat with a slight cut in mid and a slight boost in high's. If I want to fiddle around with the EQ for a slap tone, blues tone, tap tone, dub tone, lead tone or a soft ballad type tone I just tweak the bass and leave the amp alone, so I do try to keep the amp as flat as possible, but acoustics may alter one or two settings. Every one of my basses have evey different characterstics and make the amp behave differently. I tend to keep the same settings across the board and adjust the compression and mid controls to suit. I would normally use my Aguilar TLC compressor through the effects loop, but I will list the settings that I would use if I didn't use it.

I have illustrated the settings on a boost/cut method from the centre flat point of the controls.

[u]MTD 535 / Active[/u]

Comp 50%
Bass Flat
Middle -20%
Freq 600Hz
Treble +10%
Bright +10%

[u]Lakland 55-02 / Active[/u]

Comp 60%
Bass Flat
Middle Flat
Freq 800Hz
Treble +10%
Bright +10%

[u]Warwick Thumb / Active[/u]

Comp 40%
Bass Flat
Middle Flat
Freq 600Hz
Treble Flat%
Bright -10%

So, no huge differences. I set the EQ according how lively the bass is. The MTD's natural tone is the flatest of the bunch, but sounds really funky, so I prefer a scooped tone on the amp. The Lakland is also quite flat, but is a bit warmer and has a softer attack, so I boost the mid frequency a bit more to give a bit more repsonse to the speakers. The Warwick is just nuts! It has a lot more natural mid aggression and the high end sings a lot more than the other basses, so I try to pin back the excited tone on that one.

Okay...now passive. This is where is goes a bit mad!

[u]MTD / Passive[/u]

Comp 30%
Bass +20
Middle Flat
Freq 400Hz
Treble Flat%
Bright 20%
[u]Lakland / Passive[/u]

Comp 30%
Bass +20
Middle +10
Freq 500Hz
Treble -10%
Bright 20%

[u]Warwick / Passive[/u]
Comp 40%
Bass +20
Middle -10%
Freq 800Hz
Treble Flat%
Bright 30%

The Warwick is the weirdest bass in passive mode. In active mode it is the most lively bass in the mid range, but in passive it seems to disappear quite dramatically and sound a bit spongy. That bass really is quite bonkers! In all cases I like my bass tone very warm and punchy to get those Bernard Edwards type tones, especially on the Lakland using the parallel switch to the MM pickup.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1327051670' post='1505574']

[u]Lakland 55-02 / Active[/u]

Comp 60%
Bass Flat
Middle Flat
Freq 800Hz
Treble +10%
Bright +10%

[u]MTD / Passive[/u]

Comp 30%
Bass +20
Middle Flat
Freq 400Hz
Treble Flat%
Bright 20%

[/quote]

Hey Shizznit,

I am a little confused by these settings. You have the Mids set to flat (12 O Clock) on these two settings but the Freq at either 800hz or 400hz. I thought that changing the frequency dial with the mids set flat at 12 o clock makes no difference as the two are linked? So having the frequency set or 800hz or 400hz would make no difference and you might as well keep it set at 12 o clock which is 600hz. Thats how I am finding it on my Reidmar. With the mids at 12 o clock, moving the frequency dial does nothing tonally.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1327083978' post='1506282']

Hey Shizznit,

I am a little confused by these settings. You have the Mids set to flat (12 O Clock) on these two settings but the Freq at either 800hz or 400hz. I thought that changing the frequency dial with the mids set flat at 12 o clock makes no difference as the two are linked? So having the frequency set or 800hz or 400hz would make no difference and you might as well keep it set at 12 o clock which is 600hz. Thats how I am finding it on my Reidmar. With the mids at 12 o clock, moving the frequency dial does nothing tonally.
[/quote]

Yeah...well spotted mate. Doing it from memory and and made a typo! Should be the other way around...

Lakland - mid +20% / freq 600Hz
MTD - mid -20% / freq 600Hz
Warwick - mid -20% / freq 600Hz (sometimes 800Hz if using the bridge pup)

Should have choked before posting...sorry for the confusion!

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1327086981' post='1506376']
Yeah...well spotted mate. Doing it from memory and and made a typo! Should be the other way around...

Lakland - mid +20% / freq 600Hz
MTD - mid -20% / freq 600Hz
Warwick - mid -20% / freq 600Hz (sometimes 800Hz if using the bridge pup)

Should have [b]choked[/b] before posting...sorry for the confusion!
[/quote]

Don't go choking, I might need some more advice in the future :)

To be fair, an outsider reading some of the posts would probably lead to a few people banging their heads against the keyboard! Chill, life's too short!

Linus whats with the edits? The thread doesn't make much sense now?!

Edited by EBS_freak

Have tried to resist but in the end it's just impossible, Amp and 2 classic 12's on order. Will post any observations once received.

Life would be so much easier if companies stopped bringing out new gear. Just think of the money we could all save.

[quote name='jcater' timestamp='1327414313' post='1510799']
Have tried to resist but in the end it's just impossible, Amp and 2 classic 12's on order. Will post any observations once received.

Life would be so much easier if companies stopped bringing out new gear. Just think of the money we could all save.
[/quote]

HAHA you won't be disapointed.

• 2 weeks later...