Why become a member? ×

Tony Butler Signature Bass - Vintage V4MTB

TransistorBassMan

[url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagebass.html"]http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagebass.html[/url]
[url="http://www.guitarmagazine.co.uk/news/vintage-announce-signature-bass-for-big-countrys-tony-butler/"]http://www.guitarmagazine.co.uk/news/vintage-announce-signature-bass-for-big-countrys-tony-butler/[/url]

Edited by TransistorBassMan

Wowee ! A black Precision copy with a maple board ! That's sure original.

What about it is different to the standard one they knock out apart from the fingerboard material ?

[b]Vintage®Tony Butler V4Series[/b]
Body: Eastern Poplar
Neck: One-Piece Maple – Bolt On
Fingerboard: Maple
Scale: 34"/864mm
Frets: 20
Neck Inlays: Black Dot
Tuners: Wilkinson® WJBL200
Bridge: Wilkinson® WBBCCR
Pickups: Wilkinson® WPB
Hardware: Chrome
Controls: 1 x Volume/ 1 x Tone

[b]Vintage®V4Series[/b]
Body: Eastern Poplar
Neck: Hard Maple – Bolt On
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Scale: 34"/864mm
Frets: 20
Neck Inlays: Pearloid Dot
Tuners: Wilkinson® WJBL200
Bridge: Adjustable
Pickups: Wilkinson® PB x 1 (M) WPB
Hardware: Chrome
Controls: 1 x Volume/ 1 x Tone

Ah I see, nothing for an extra £50 :)

[b][i]For once, a P Bass that I actually want! So the manufacturer must be commended for that feat! The video of him playing it is great, the two sections of[i] Angle Park sound great.[/i] [/i][/b]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nJL3nAUDyYk

It's great to see Tony getting a signature bass. He is one of my absolute favourite players and I always think of him as the most talented UK bassist around, alongside Mark King. His lines are just incredible. I'm going to see Big Country live in February, which is great as they are one of my favourite bands. Absolutely awesome. Tony is the man.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1320243302' post='1424222']
I'm going to see Big Country live in February,
[/quote]

Ah, so thats who he is. I thought i had heard his name before. So does this come with a chorus pedal ;-)

Just had a look at the video and wow, now i can see where some of my bass lines came from back in the 80's. Its nice to see him getting recognition but i dont see a real reason to bring this out.
Its like a Squier Matt Freeman only slightly different and more expensive.

Still waiting for a Bruce Foxton bass to come out. Now that was a unique looking P bass ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1320248299' post='1424340']
Just had a look at the video and wow, now i can see where some of my bass lines came from back in the 80's. Its nice to see him getting recognition but i dont see a real reason to bring this out.
[/quote]

I think the reason we're seeing it now is that Big Country are only just tenatively getting back together to tour and maybe record again. If you cehck recent interviews with the band members, they all feel very positive about it and seem to want to make a go of things again if it feels right. Interestingly, Tony seems the most cautious about getting back together, and he has always maintained he wouldn't be interested if it wasn't for the right reasons, or it didn't feel right. So to see Tony excited about where they're going now is a really positive indicator for me.

As it is, the band's profile is still too small for a big brand to be knock on Tony's door, and he was content playing his own basses for years. Fenders, Warwicks, Arias etc etc. I think Tony has referred to this bass as a reproduction of the one he uses on stage. It's just an opportunity for JHS to get a 'name' associated with them and to make a little bit of cash, but it's also nice to see Tony getting the recognition he deserves with a signature bass. Sadly, it's not something that would interest me greatly (I'd rather he played a Warwick Thumb again) but it's better that it exists than that it doesn't.

[b][i]For once, a P Bass that I actually want! So the manufacturer must be commended for that feat! The video of him playing it is great, the two sections of[i] Angle Park sound great.[/i] [/i][/b]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nJL3nAUDyYk"]http://www.youtube.c...d&v=nJL3nAUDyYk[/url]

It's great to see Tony getting a signature bass. He is one of my absolute favourite players and I always think of him as the most talented UK bassist around, alongside Mark King. His lines are just incredible. I'm going to see Big Country live in February, which is great as they are one of my favourite bands. Absolutely awesome. Tony is the man.
[/quote]

Tony IS the man.
Me likeee.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1320254048' post='1424451']
Tony and Mark Brzezicki were and indeed still are one of those signature rythm sections.

Great player. Solid and inventive at the same time is a rare talent. Some of the young dudes with their Ricks around their ankles would do well to listen to how Tony plays if they really must use a plec.
[/quote]

Yes. And this, too.

[/quote]

+1

Tony's a great player. Always loved Big Country.

He's one of those bassists who's got such a signature style and sound. One of those "do exactly what the song needs" players.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OycvimPi6Jg[/media]

Check the wholly appropriate bass solo at 4:34. That's the way to do it.

Think I'm wearing my kilt at the gig on Saturday.... :)

T

Edited by tonyf

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1320253725' post='1424441']

I think the reason we're seeing it now is that Big Country are only just tenatively getting back together to tour and maybe record again. If you cehck recent interviews with the band members, they all feel very positive about it and seem to want to make a go of things again if it feels right. Interestingly, Tony seems the most cautious about getting back together, and he has always maintained he wouldn't be interested if it wasn't for the right reasons, or it didn't feel right. So to see Tony excited about where they're going now is a really positive indicator for me.

As it is, the band's profile is still too small for a big brand to be knock on Tony's door, and he was content playing his own basses for years. Fenders, Warwicks, Arias etc etc. I think Tony has referred to this bass as a reproduction of the one he uses on stage. It's just an opportunity for JHS to get a 'name' associated with them and to make a little bit of cash, but it's also nice to see Tony getting the recognition he deserves with a signature bass. Sadly, it's not something that would interest me greatly (I'd rather he played a Warwick Thumb again) but it's better that it exists than that it doesn't.
[/quote]

You missed out the bit where you tell us all how ugly the bass is, how awful it sounds and how it is based on a terrible design that has been outdated for years. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1320276083' post='1424857']
What's with the Fender look-a-like? All the classic live footage I remember and just confirmed on YouTube has him playing an Ibanez Musician Bass.
[/quote]

In their heyday I took quite a bit of notice to Big Country and the way the bass fits in. He's quite unique is Tony. Don't recall an Ibanez Musician bass being used much if at all - are you sure it's not an Aria SB Series? That's usually the bass shown on the first album tracks. Think on Steeltown he went to Precision and stayed there for a while. Always used Trace Elliot though, I think he was one of the early adopters along with Leeroy from Bow Wow Wow, another fab bassist.

Edited by markorbit