Why become a member? ×

Forgetting equipment!

I play at my church every Sunday so I used to lug my Markbass rig between the house and the hall every Sunday until the light dawned on me and I bought a powered amp to use at home so I could leave the 4x10 at the church and only carry the head.
Anyway, yesterday I left the house with bass, stand and cable bag in tow and I only realised as I got to the stage that I had forgot the amp at the house!!
That meant I had to go through the house via D.I and whilst its something that doesnt happen often, it did make me feel bad. My initial thoughts were that I wasnt paying attention as opposed to forgetting.
Just thought I'd share....

I have a recurring dream, nightmare even, that I'm at a gig and I haven't got my wire bag with me. Had it for years and years.

Long time ago when I was playing trombone I had been overhauling the slide, so when I turned up at the gig I opened the case and had only half a trombone. Not much use really.

I can definately remember one occasion (there may have been one other) where I can most of the way to a venue without my bass. I'd like to think it was down to the effort of loading the old and shockingly heavy rig I was using at the time, unfortunately it's more likely to be down to me being thick as ****! :)

Edited by Subbeh

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]My memory is bad! [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I have to count all the cases and bags in to the car and out again at each end. I did leave home with the wrong charts once but I was close enough to be able go back and get the right book. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Also I practice at home with completely different equipment so that I don't turn up to a gig with an empty case![/font][/color][/size]

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1318855430' post='1406885']
My guitarist once forgot to bring my bass to a gig. I was not impressed. He reckoned it wasn't his fault.
[/quote]

My guitarist forgot his instrument at an audition, and went to get it while the rest of us took the piss...shortly before he arrived I realised I'd forgotten my lead.

We didn't get the gig.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1318858297' post='1406949']

My guitarist forgot his instrument at an audition, and went to get it while the rest of us took the piss...shortly before he arrived I realised I'd forgotten my lead.

We didn't get the gig.
[/quote]

Thats why i always have a lead buried in the bottom of my gig bag, that very rarely comes out.

Liam

I got picked up by the drummer and the driver from work on the way to a gig. Since I'm the reliable one, I carry backup most forgettable stuff, like leads and stuff (set in my pedal case, and a set in my gig bag). Stuck my head in the back, checked my amps and cabs and pedals were there, had my bass with me. On the journey, couldn't shake off an uncomfortable feeling, put it down to nerves, first gig outside the South West, and current lady plan was going to be there. Lugged all my stuff up the stairs, set up, sounding thunderously massive, fully felt better. Looked around at drummer stood by his carpet with his drum positions marked out looking about, I have to wait for him to do his thing to get proper levels. However there is no drum kit. "Statick, where are your drums?"

"I forgot to put them in the van."

"You should probably go an be really nice to that drummer to whom you refused to lend your drums."

Other drummer wasn't especially inclined to be helpful, but said hired kit, so can have for the hire cost. Drummer was skint, so guitarist says he'll pay if drummer does all the rest of the carrying for him. Drummer assumes position at this kit provided by the generosity of several people who already think he is a prick, plays a roll across the drums, looks at me as says "Sounds a bit sh*t doesn't it?" whereupon I call him a prick too. Then we play the gig, promoter refuses to pay us because were are all pricks, and everyone quits the band cause we don't want to be in a band with that drummer any more.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1318861351' post='1407007']
Other drummer wasn't especially inclined to be helpful, but said hired kit, so can have for the hire cost. Drummer was skint, so guitarist says he'll pay if drummer does all the rest of the carrying for him. Drummer assumes position at this kit provided by the generosity of several people who already think he is a prick, plays a roll across the drums, looks at me as says "Sounds a bit sh*t doesn't it?" whereupon I call him a prick too. Then we play the gig, promoter refuses to pay us because were are all pricks, and everyone quits the band cause we don't want to be in a band with that drummer any more.
[/quote]

I just love a happy ending!

Not long ago I did a gig 150 miles away - got all my stuff out, put cabinet in place and then realised I'd left my Markbass head at home!
Great having lightweight amps,but in this case I reckon it was due to being so small that I left it in my hallway. Played all night just into
the PA with no monitors! Won't be doing that again in a hurry - I now have a checklist in my car.
Senior moments, doncha just love em...........