Why become a member? ×

Irritating terms that non-musos use...

Ian Savage

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1318575681' post='1403822']

Tinny - a term that describes a tone or sound with too much top end, and not enough weight. :o

Does that help? :o

I almost asked you to pop out to the car the other night to help me work out why my stereo sounds 'boxey' :)
[/quote]

Paul, you couldn't help it could you? I hate that term.. :) Ha!

I can live with 'thin', 'harsh', 'sharp' etc and even 'boxy' and 'meaty' but not that one.. :)

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1318580793' post='1403879']

What if you need a wee? Do you have a bucket behind the cabs?
[/quote]
That's what the dressing room sink is for!

BTW, I have actually seen an IEC mains lead that had been converted for kettle use with a stanley knife

Great thread I'm learning a lot here as a non muso, I must use most of the above :)!
....but just found this description in an advert for a Rotosound Tapeworm strangely attractive...the 'speaking length', be good the for the pub, "would you like to know the the speaking length of my.... :)"
[left][b]When fitting Rotosound Bass Strings, be sure that the silked part of the string ONLY is wound around the machine post. If the [i]speaking length [/i]of the string is wound around the post, the string may then be prone to breakage. This type of breakage is not covered by our normal warranty.[/b][/left]

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1318550438' post='1403757']One that musicians and none muso (but not engineers) types use: 'It sounds a bit tinny'

That bugs the hell out of me.. Tinny? What!? Use your words to decrible what you're hearing. Last time i looked, a tin makes no sound at all unless struck and even then.. Stupid term and none descriptive![/quote]

tinny - thin and metallic in sound; lacking resonance

Roadies who write set lists and think [i]Segue[/i] is spelled [i]Segway[/i] :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1318515691' post='1403185']
There was a hilarious sketch on the original Mary Whitehouse Experience Radio series which pointed out what a bunch of tossers Musos were,
[/quote]

I will see if i can get this radio series from a mate, now you have reminded me of it.

Edited by daz

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1318556653' post='1403781']
An ex-girffriends sister was getting on my nerves over something once, so I asked her "If you had no feet would you wear shoes"?
"Of course not" she said,

"So why do you wear a bra"?
She didn't speak to me for quite some time :)[/quote]

:)

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1318550438' post='1403757']
One that musicians and none muso (but not engineers) types use: 'It sounds a bit tinny'

That bugs the hell out of me.. Tinny? What!? Use your words to decrible what you're hearing. Last time i looked, a tin makes no sound at all unless struck and even then.. Stupid term and none descriptive!
[/quote]

I think the thing with 'tinny' is that everyone knows what it means. Like when you say a bass sounds 'burpy', like a Wal or an ACG. No-one thinks the bass is loudly exhaling gas, but they all know what the bass sounds like in their head.

Prob been said, but people who write Base instead of Bass.. Morons.

Oh, and yesterday I was sitting on my garden wall sanding off crap old black paint from a P Bass body I got from eBay. I'm rubbing away with P60, most the body is back to the wood, just some black left on the edges. This bloke comes along and asks..

Him 'Oh, is that a guitar body?'
Me 'Yes, well it's from a bass'
Him 'Is it a Fender Precision?'
Me 'Yes it is. I bought it off ebay, got it for a bargain cos some donkey had covered it in rotten black paint. So I'm sanding it all off down to the wood'
Him 'So what's that black stuff on it?'

Donkey

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1318763394' post='1405828']
Besides which, in UK we tend to say 'Lezz' Paul, but US pronunciation would be more like 'Less' Paul.
[/quote]

The US varient is probably more correct as the Guy whom its named after is Lester not Leslie Paul