Why become a member? ×

String Thru v's Bridge Anchored

henry norton

To anyone who owns a bass that has the option of bridge mounting or through stringing.

Has anyone tried a back to back test, the same gauge and type of string, tuned to the same pitch, one anchored on the bridge and one anchored string thru? I'd do it myself but none of my basses have this option. There's always been allot of talk about it but I've never seen much in the way of hard evidence.

Recently experienced with that one actually, on my new Fender American Standard P bass. Make no mistake, there is definately a difference between the two, when you go strings through it sounds deeper and less snappier, and when top loaded you get a brighter sound. For me the best result was a mix of both, i.e. E and A strings through and D & G top loaded, this meant that the higher strings had a poppier sound when top loaded and the thicker ones were deeper when strung through.

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1317990546' post='1397031']
Thanks GW. Did you actually try identical strings at the same time?
[/quote]

Well I made that test with a brand new set of strings, took them on and off until I was satisfied with the final result. I also like that new high mass bridge on those american standard basses that have slotted saddles as I have managed to get the larger spacing possible while retaining the strings within the width of the neck, I reckon I am very close to a 19.3 spacing.

Surely if there is a difference at all, in any one case it's going to be dependent on the type of bridge - high mass or not, how much it changes the break angle on the string. I guess it could change the compliance a bit. The bridge saddles forming the pivot point are still anchored in the bridge either way though.
Be very interested in the results if you do give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an American Deluxe Jazz with the option, but I get the feeling that by the time I've unwound and reinstalled the strings I will have forgotten the sound to make a close A-B comparison.

However, if there is a difference would it not be to do with anchoring the string directly to the body rather than through the bent bit of tin?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1319740690' post='1418073']
I have an American Deluxe Jazz with the option, but I get the feeling that by the time I've unwound and reinstalled the strings I will have forgotten the sound to make a close A-B comparison.

However, if there is a difference would it not be to do with anchoring the string directly to the body rather than through the bent bit of tin?
[/quote]
Record it before and after. I've never heard a difference.

I've tried GHS Flats both ways on my Frank Bello, which comes as standard fitted with BadAssIII & through body option. Honestly I couldn't tell any difference but that's via my 60 year old ears, nothing sophisticated about them ;-)

Thinking about it, I've had Fender 9050 Flats both ways on my '51 P, with Hipshot bridge & not been able to tell any difference.

Edited by KiOgon

For some reason I`ve always gone for the sring-thru option, until I got my `77 Precision, which doesn`t have this. And looking at things logically, all my fave artists/recordings were with top-loaded Precisions anyway, so I may as well be in the same gang :)

I couldn't vouch for the difference in tone between string through and top load, but I can vouch for the difference between a normal and high mass bridge on a VERY cheapo bass.

I have a Westfield which had a BBoT style bridge, replaced with a high mass copy of the Schaller sorta job and the difference is noticeable to both sustain and slightly noticeable 'depth' to the tone, also seems to have had a positive effect in reducing string tension - it's a much nicer bass to play as a result and action etc. is roughly the same as it was before (+/- 1mm)

So I guess if you have a nice bass with a serviceable bridge - it doesn't matter. Bit if we're talking a cheapo bass, there could be an improvement to be made.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]With some rigs and on some stages a Gramma pad works and on some it doesn't. A Fat Finger and a high mass bridge can benefit a bass that needs it and some basses will sound or feel different with 35"scale or through body stringing. Some players won't notice and will think it does nothing, but for the guys for whom it works and who can spot the difference it's cool. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I use through body stringing cos I can. It won't make you sound worse and it might sound, or more likely feel, better, so why not?[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial] [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

The strings definately feel tighter when strung through the body. didnt have the problem of practically pulling the bridge saddles off the bass when digging in either. Might have made the sound slightly deeper too but I didn't record it so take that with a pinch of salt!