Why become a member? ×

Clip On Tuners

cfmusic01

I have tried a few (all cheapies) and they all struggled with the E and some with the A also. The one i have at home doesn't make a very good connection with the instrument (spring is too weak) and struggles tuning anything without being phisically pressed onto the surface.
Spending more money will probably get you a better product but that kinda defeats the idea for me.

I use a Korg Pitchjack for home playing and practice - handles flat tuning which i need and you can put it in loads of 1/4" sockets besides the bass itself like mixers, line or tuner outs etc.

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/tuners/pitchjack/tu_pj.asp

Also has a little torch!

Edited by lemmywinks

I use one,and usually leave it on my backup bass which is detuned a half tone.
The clip on has a Flat function that allows for easy drop tuning.
The main benefit though is you can be away from your amp with no cable needed,so I leave my main plugged in (via Boss GT6B with onboard tuner), and the clip does the backup without the hassle of swapping out.
Fits in the smallest pocket also.

Ive been using a Snark (£12) and a Peterson Stroboclip (£65) for the past year and both work perfectly on my basses, guitar and my mates 5 string Squier, even the low B tracks well.

Seeing as i only need to check my tuning once per gig i take the Snark, as the Peterson is a bit delicate. Its great for doing setups and checking intonation though.

I've had a clip-on for about a year. It cost about £7 from Amazon. As said above, it's not too good at tracking the lower frequencies but you can always tune a harmonic note. I've found it very useful for two situations. Firstly when I want to carry a minimum of gear with me. Secondly when I'm playing in a situation where I don't want stuff on the floor (i.e. a tuning pedal).

I recently got a Snark, I really like it.

Tunes my guitars and basses equally well (sometimes seems a little bit iffy with the low B on my bass but othertimes it works perfectly---suspect I need to find the "sweet spot" for it) and the microphone tuner on it works well too.

If you want a clip-on tuner I'd definitely recommend one.

I have one that I got for double bass so I didn't have to always plug in my Behringer Rack Mounted tuner. I got the Behringer so I could detune accurately in the dark (my eyes are not great and I find the little tuners hard to see in the half light of most stages). I fit the clip on to the bridge of my double bass and it works a treat. Cost £7. Also an aid to accurate intonation in the early stages of practising. I use it with electric on doubling gigs and it works fine for both (I clip it on the headstock on the Wal).

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' timestamp='1317382669' post='1390107']
Tune it before you leave home for the gig ?..........................................sorry (old topic)
[/quote]
I tuned mine before I changed the strings. sounded terrible after.
Revised verdict on my cliptuner. No light until you hit a note makes it bloody hard to select bass mode and then flat mode and takes too long.
If there`s one out there you can set a default on then yay.
Heading for the bin asap.

I've got a Snark. Handles E and B okay until the battery dies a bit - then it's a bit of a pain. It looks pretty though I tend to use my Boss ME-20B most of the time. It tends to want to tune a teensy little bit flatter than the Snark.

Yep, mine has a guitar mode and a bass mode. I suppose the guitar mode would work as well.
Flat mode yes. I only use the clip tuner for my second bass which is tuned down to E flat.
It doesn`t tell me what note I`m playing, just what string so I can`t leave it in normal tuning and calculate from there.Nor do I want to be working it out between songs.
So if I can find one I can setup to that tuning then great. otherwise I`ll do both basses on the GT6 tuner.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1355233626' post='1895684']
On another note ( pun very definitely intended ) if the low E struggles can't I just check that it is accurate at the fifth fret as an A or third as a G etc ??
[/quote]

Wouldn't the accuracy of that depend on how good your bass's intonation is? I'd love to know more about that too, although I would still much prefer to find a device that actually checks the tuning on the open strings, as that should be the safest thing to do.

To make things worse, I play 5ers with flatwounds, which means I can forget using the Boss TU-80 for tuning the E and B in a hurry at least...

I`ve recently got one of these Planet Waves clip-on tuners. Very good, I now leave my Boss TU2 at home. £11.66 (plus delivery).

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Waves-PW-CT-12-Headstock-Tuner/dp/B005FKF1PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355237617&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Waves-PW-CT-12-Headstock-Tuner/dp/B005FKF1PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355237617&sr=8-1[/url]

Yup, looks good - what's the accuracy, if stated anywhere?

Edit: anyone tried this one? [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0059EUIM2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&smid=A201EI9BO9JGLA"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0059EUIM2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&smid=A201EI9BO9JGLA[/url]

Edited by bluejay