Why become a member? ×

Went out for bed linen, came back with this

Mornats

I had a friend coming over so I went out to buy some bed linen. However the road to the bed linen place had an awful set of temporary traffic lights on it so I turned round and decided to go buy a music book I was after. Turns out the place I went to has the Overwater by Tanglewood basses in stock so I tried a couple and walked out with a contemporary J :)

I've been looking for a first class main bass for a while now. I've got a Dean Hillsboro Single but I don't get on with its sound much, despite its really nice playable neck, so I've not recorded much with it. So I've been using my 5 string Bass Collection as my main but that has a 35" scale and a wider neck so it's a little harder to play. My fretless is lovely but not for everyday recording, So I had a gap and always thought it would be filled by a £1000-1500 bass (Fender American Jazz, Musicman Bongo, Warwick Streamer etc.) Anyhoo, I was totally blown away by everything about it. Superb build quality, gorgeous looks, massive range of tone and most of all, it just simply wanted to be played and played. It's the best bass I've played by far and I've played almost every bass in the all of the shops I've been in. I sat there playing this one for around 30-40 mins in the shop and I hate playing a bass in a music shop, especially when it's plugged into an amp!

Plus it looks like it's one of the first batch that came out of the factory so has a high chance of being one of those that Chris May set up. It's certainly set up perfectly. I just can't believe it came in at a little less than £600. I'm now an Overwater convert! If I ever play professionally, then Chris will be building me a bass, I don't want to play any other.

So, here are some pics from a very chuffed Overwater owner.

[attachment=90162:overwater2.jpg]

[attachment=90163:overwater1.jpg]

[attachment=90164:overwater3.jpg]

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1316959315' post='1384800']
So I've been using my 5 string Bass Collection as my main but that has a 35" scale and a wider neck so it's a little harder to play.
[/quote]

My old 325 definitely had a 34" scale. Is yours a Made In Japan SGC Nanyo?

Yes, I did get some bed linen in the end. And whilst it's a lovely bass, it's not all that cuddly I'm afraid so we sleep apart. For now. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1316960417' post='1384827']
My old 325 definitely had a 34" scale. Is yours a Made In Japan SGC Nanyo?
[/quote]

Yep, it's a 1991 Japanese SGC Nanyo one. I think it's a 315 rather than a 325 (it's got black hardware and the 320 series has gold hardware) but I also saw an old brochure online that confirmed it had a 35" scale.

I'd love to know what a "proper" Overwater owner's opinion is of these Tanglewood made ones. Any Overwater owners had a go of them yet? (Although not that it matters much as the one I bought is 100% spot on for what I want in a bass.)

SNAP! Bought one of these yesterday, although a little disappointed with how noisy it was at last night's gig - opened up the control cavity today and I don't at all agree with Guitar and Bass Magazine's 'Well shielded' comment.

Also, had to shim the neck as couldn't get the action low enough and one of the screws fell apart. Seriously.

Oh yes, and without the strings on, the bridge saddles fell off and the nut doesn't seem to be glued in place, so is able to move from side to side!

I think these are well appointed basses, but so far I'm not impressed with the build of mine. Friday effort?

Edited by Moos3h

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1316964651' post='1384910']
SNAP! Bought one of these yesterday, although a little disappointed with how noisy it was at last night's gig - opened up the control cavity today and I don't at all agree with Guitar and Bass Magazine's 'Well shielded' comment.

Also, had to shim the neck as couldn't get the action low enough and one of the screws fell apart. Seriously.

Oh yes, and without the strings on, the bridge saddles fell off and the nut doesn't seem to be glued in place, so is able to move from side to side!

I think these are well appointed basses, but so far I'm not impressed with the build of mine. Friday effort?
[/quote]

I would contact Overwater and ask for a replacement or at least some help with it. Not good. Hope you get it sorted.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1316967763' post='1384961']

I would contact Overwater and ask for a replacement or at least some help with it. Not good. Hope you get it sorted.
[/quote]

It did cross my mind, but with a gig to do yesterday evening I had to sort these things myself - it'll teach me to set up a bass with the shops shut! With the exception of the shielding (but I only noticed that today) it's all easily done, but didn't inspire masses of confidence - little things like the neck bolt ferrules falling out with the screws out makes me think there's a reason they are the price they are.

As it goes, it plays well (now) and I'm pretty happy with it - the tone was great at last night's gig and the neck is just lovely.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1316964651' post='1384910']
[/quote]

That's a shame Moos3h. I've found mine to be 100% noise free so far (and that's having sat in front of my PC with it plugged into Guitar Rig and with the light on - both of which usually produce some noise on all my other basses). Here's a shot of the inside of my control cavity. This looks well shielded to me, is yours the same as this?

[attachment=90181:controlcav.jpg]

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1316966423' post='1384940']
I wouldn`t bother with how they compare against a "real" Overwater. It`s a fantastic looking bass and you seem well happy with it, so, result!!!![/quote]

Can't fault that thinking :)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1316968817' post='1384980']

That's a shame Moos3h. I've found mine to be 100% noise free so far (and that's having sat in front of my PC with it plugged into Guitar Rig and with the light on - both of which usually produce some noise on all my other basses). Here's a shot of the inside of my control cavity. This looks well shielded to me, is yours the same as this?

[attachment=90181:controlcav.jpg]

Can't fault that thinking :)
[/quote]
That's not sheilding...... at best you could call it earthing.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1316972407' post='1385046']
Actually, just realised this might sound like I'm doing a bit of thread-pissing, sorry - not the intention!
[/quote]

No worries, it made me go and do a quick test of mine. If I turn the amp up stupidly loud there's no hiss unless I roll the treble pot 3/4 to full (i.e. in between the centre notch and the top end). I never put this much treble on anyway hence why I never heard it before.

The mini pots boost the level of the pickups according to Chris May (at 7.45 in this video: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPlwg1MGF0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPlwg1MGF0[/url]). I was having a play with them (hence the quick cavity photo earlier) and the difference is quite subtle.