Why become a member? ×

Jah Wobble. Any fans?

Len_derby

I haven't really listened to his Invaders of the heart and beyond output. but Metal Box (PIL) contains some wonderful bass lines, especialy Careering. And who doesn't get a shiver from the opening bass riff to Public Image? Classic. Easily as good as the voted #1 bass riff, Stranglers' Peaches. Seems like a nice oddball too

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1316726804' post='1382140']
I haven't really listened to his Invaders of the heart and beyond output. but Metal Box (PIL) contains some wonderful bass lines, especialy Careering. And who doesn't get a shiver from the opening bass riff to Public Image? Classic. Easily as good as the voted #1 bass riff, Stranglers' Peaches. Seems like a nice oddball too
[/quote]

that's nailed it :)

I play the basslines to Death disco and Poptones as warm ups all the time. Most excellant. Saw them a few times (PIL i mean) Note Wobble sitting in his dentists chair on the Death disco video. there's laid back for ya !

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOU6_JKL9r0[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnBq98uUJE4&feature=related[/media]

Edited by daz

I suppose he's always going to be remembered best for PiL (and who wouldn't be happy with that on the old C.V.?).
But musically he's kept moving. He's done a lot of 'world music' stuff, dub, English folk etc, etc.
I saw him a couple of years ago playing electric bass with a 12-piece Chinese orchestra that included traditional dancers.
Fascinating but more than a bit bonkers.
He's written a good autobigraphy too called 'Memoir of a Geezer' I think. Well worth a read, and as good as Guy Pratt's book in it's own way.

A fan. He collaborated with Holger Czukay and Jaki Liebezeit of CAN (also a fan) on one or two experimental projects.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWAplMCK03Q[/media]

A unique talent, I'm sure we'll be hearing more from him.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1316726804' post='1382140']
[/quote]
+1 to the opening riff to Public Image - simple, yet so effective.

I'm a big fan of Wobble's PiL stuff. His work on First Edition and Metal Box is all the more remarkable when you consider he'd only been playing bass a few months. That's the reason he's sitting down in the early clips - it was the only way he knew how to play!

He seems as mad as several boxes of frogs too.

BIG BIG Fan :) Yep when you listen to him talk you do have to work hard at it and the phrase WTF springs to mind occationally but stick a Bass in his hands and its just soooooooo smooth and natural and flowing and all that. He just picks you up and whafts you along. Thats some achievement when you listen to the rest of PIL. Hes done alright for an ex Underground train driver :) He has that natural DUB groove that reminds me of Mani whom I also love very much. Their use of the gaps (You can do the 'underground' joke yourselves there) is sublime!!

A

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1316735046' post='1382297']
The album he did with Justin Adams is great...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHBYXtqmerY[/media]
[/quote]

Always loved this song, I bought "I Could Have Been a Contender" but haven't really given it enough listens... will watch this thread with interest!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1316728801' post='1382198']
A fan. He collaborated with Holger Czukay and Jaki Liebezeit of CAN (also a fan) on one or two experimental projects.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWAplMCK03Q[/media]

A unique talent, I'm sure we'll be hearing more from him.
[/quote]

I like Snakecharmer with Czukay, Edge etc. Innovative stuff even if not a technical wizard.

Huge fan. met him in Manchester after a gig, he`s a really nice bloke, no pretensions.
The Invaders of the heart albums are classic World influenced dub.
I thought Rising above Bedlam was amazing, then Take me to God outdid it!
Wobble firmly cemented in me the credos that Less is indeed Best when playing bass and it`s still my mantra now.
Led me on to artists like Manu Chau.

Yes, he was great in Pil. I have a feeling he also played bass on 4 be 2's "One Of The Lads" (sadly lost on 12" many years ago!)
I have dabbled in [i]some[/i] of his later work (mid 90's), but it proved not to be a 'stayer'...perhaps I should have another look...?

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1316785618' post='1382885']
Wobble firmly cemented in me the credos that Less is indeed Best when playing bass and it`s still my mantra now.
[/quote]

Totally agree - seen him live a few times & he can stick on a simple riff for ages without losing your interest. His book is well worth a read too...

Cheers,

B.

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1316805909' post='1383303']

Totally agree - seen him live a few times & he can stick on a simple riff for ages without losing your interest. His book is well worth a read too...

Cheers,

B.
[/quote]

Do you have a brother in Aberdeen? Because you use the same avatar... :)