Why become a member? ×

Pink Floyd night on the telly

Ou7shined

Ah i have the video with the pie and the Dark Side recordings. Also has the little sibilance argument!

I also thought Roger came across really well in the interviews, he's always been an eloquent speaker and seems to have mellowed a little! I like Radio Kaos and Amused to Death, the snippets i heard of another album (the name escapes me) he played at the NEC a few years ago were good too.

Never liked Floyd without him, sounds like over-produced 80s tripe and hasn't aged well at all, whereas Waters-Floyd still sounds fantastic. Maybe i'm a little biased as i've always liked the old goat!

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1316471324' post='1378630']
Ah i have the video with the pie and the Dark Side recordings. Also has the little sibilance argument!

I also thought Roger came across really well in the interviews, he's always been an eloquent speaker and seems to have mellowed a little! I like Radio Kaos and Amused to Death, the snippets i heard of another album (the name escapes me) he played at the NEC a few years ago were good too.

Never liked Floyd without him, sounds like over-produced 80s tripe and hasn't aged well at all, whereas Waters-Floyd still sounds fantastic. Maybe i'm a little biased as i've always liked the old goat!
[/quote]

I wouldn't say I never liked Dave's Floyd (I just listen to it less) but I'm pretty much in sync with you on this. I found that when they made the decision in the 80's to produce song albums rather than concept albums it kind of detracted from what I liked about Floyd.

My period of excellence would be from Atom Heart Mother to Animals. :)

I over-played The Wall during my "drugy years" and find it hard to dip into so much now and The Final Cut is basically a Waters album at his self-indulgent best about his dad... and the Torries.

I've found all of Roger's solo stuff very listen-able and profound. The Pros and Cons is particularly good (the one you were looking for :) ) The depths to which he tells a story in so few words is almost unequalled. I also find Dave's early solo stuff very enjoyable too.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1316469942' post='1378604']

Interesting point, though Rog was the one who left and then got miffed when the others just carried on without him - which was hardly surprising really, so surely Rog would have thought of that option? Who made the best new stuff after the split? I guess we could discuss that one until the cows come home, though I remember seeing Rog's Radio Kaos at Wembley many years ago and was not exactly overwhelmed.

Personally, I reckon their best stuff was when they were together - as is so often the case when groups split but carry on separately. If I was forced to choose just one album I'd go for Wish You Were Here. I'd be really miffed that Echoes wasn't on it though!
[/quote]
It wasn't so much that[b] he [/b]left the band, I think Waters decided to end it expecting (in his arrogance) that the band to split without him. I also believe that the other 3 were so frustrated at his level of involvement and self appointed control that they simply allowed him to go without argument.

WYWH is my first port of call too. :)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1316470286' post='1378610']

The Director's cut is widescreen, has different title cards introducing the songs, and has a few new shots inserted of moonscapes and other 'atmospheric' images.
The songs are also interspersed with footage of the band recording Dark Side at Abbey Road. Nick Mason loves his fruit pie but [i]really[/i] doesn't want an end piece.
[/quote]
I think the Directors Cut contains over-dubs to the Pompeii stuff.... or is mixed differently.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1316469942' post='1378604']

Interesting point, though Rog was the one who left and then got miffed when the others just carried on without him - which was hardly surprising really, so surely Rog would have thought of that option? Who made the best new stuff after the split? I guess we could discuss that one until the cows come home, though I remember seeing Rog's Radio Kaos at Wembley many years ago and was not exactly overwhelmed.

Personally, I reckon their best stuff was when they were together - as is so often the case when groups split but carry on separately. If I was forced to choose just one album I'd go for Wish You Were Here.
[/quote]

Although I haven't seen Rog live (heck, I somehow haven't even seen Floyd live), I would agree with the above. For me, Dave has to be in there for it to work properly. For me, he's the sound of Floyd more than anything else is.

Wish You Were Here is one of my 2 favourite albums of all time, and easily my favourite Floyd one. IMO, it's a masterpiece.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316473396' post='1378655']
It wasn't so much that[b] he [/b]left the band, I think Waters decided to end it expecting (in his arrogance) that the band to split without him. I also believe that the other 3 were so frustrated at his level of involvement and self appointed control that they simply allowed him to go without argument.
[/quote]

Yeah, that may be a fairer summary. Mind you, 'allowed him to go without argument' - was there any practical alternative? I'd guess they all knew that trying to persuade him to stay would just feed his ego and make him even more difficult to work with.

No one mentioned Syd yet??? One of the true geniuses of English songwriting, until he fried his brain. (used to live just up the road from me in Cambridge too)

All Floyd is sublime and quite unique, but post Rog it was rather like "Wings" after "Beatles" - melodic, but the guts and heart had gone.
At the Live8 thing it was quite a contrast to see how much better Rog has aged (physically) compared to Dave too.

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1316511507' post='1378889']
No one mentioned Syd yet??? One of the true geniuses of English songwriting, until he fried his brain. (used to live just up the road from me in Cambridge too)

All Floyd is sublime and quite unique, but post Rog it was rather like "Wings" after "Beatles" - melodic, but the guts and heart had gone.
At the Live8 thing it was quite a contrast to see how much better Rog has aged (physically) compared to Dave too.
[/quote]
The Syd stuff doesn't do it for me I'm afraid - although credit due, his early input undoubtedly gave the band direction. In the main I find the psychedelic stuff from "Syd's" Floyd too much of a head nip... there are a few exceptions of course but I prefer the more "musical" post Syd stuff.

I much prefer the stuff from Saucer Full of Secrets to the Wall. Could never get into the Syd stuff.

Roger always says that it was never his intention to take control of the band but he felt like they gave it to him. He did force Rick out using the threat of deleting The Wall as a means to get him out so by the time Roger left, they were effectively a 3 piece.

The Final Cut is more or less all the crap that never made it onto the Wall.

If you get the chance, find a copy of the DVD of the Wall Live at Earls Court in 1980. Its really cool cos they have Pink Floyd and the Surrogate band playing at the same time.

But alas I also too listened to them during my Mushrooms and Acid days so have trouble listening to any of the tracks beyond Comfortably Numb, apart from Run Like Hell.

I caught up with the documentary on iPlayer last night. Re. Dave not burying the hatchet, that programme was a few years old, and since then he played with Rog on his latest Wall tour, apparently just for the hell of it, so who knows?

I saw them at the Syd Barrett memorial/celebration at the Barbican a few years ago, with various acts performing their faviourite Syd song. Rog did a solo acoustic version of one of his own songs in the first half. When the post-Rog Floyd came out in the second half, someone shouted for Rog and Dave made a dry remark like "Yes, I heard he was here earlier". The grand finale was all of the acts on stage together - except Rog. Oh well.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1316518473' post='1379012']
The Final Cut is more or less all the crap that never made it onto the Wall.
[/quote]
Ouch :)

I love that album. Yeah, it's Rog solo, but it's his best solo album... even if he does owe John Prine a few quid in royalties:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9ZkYViEIs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9ZkYViEIs[/url]

Edited by wateroftyne

Hardly a mention of Dark Side of the Moon. :)
Its still the one Floyd album i can listen to at any time and keep going back to. It's almost 40 yrs old now and its still a contender for greatest album of all time.
Animals was another great album that seems to get overlooked by many.

I haven't managed to get into the solo stuff from Roger - can't explain why as i'm not specifically a Floyd officianado as such. I just liked the music.

Dave

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1316520469' post='1379046']
Ouch :)

I love that album. Yeah, it's Rog solo, but it's his best solo album... even if he does owe John Prine a few quid in royalties:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9ZkYViEIs[/media]
[/quote]
That's... er... uncanny. :)

I really like it but I find The Final Cut hasn't aged all that well. The Pros and Cons has a more timeless feel to it and it's easier to connect with the storyline more. With Amused to Death in second place...

Poignant as always....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMijMWQlnUc[/media]

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1316521124' post='1379059']
Its still the one Floyd album i can listen to at any time and keep going back to. It's almost 40 yrs old now and its still a contender for greatest album of all time.

I haven't managed to get into the solo stuff from Roger - can't explain why as i'm not specifically a Floyd officianado as such. I just liked the music.

Dave
[/quote]

I think DSOTM is the one that goes in the "goes without saying " file. It's their most successful and well know album and there's little else you can add to that.

Animals is my 2nd most favourite. It's very dynamic album with ups and downs, heavy parts, softs parts, sheep.. er... cough.. did I just say sheep? :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1316510931' post='1378882']
It's strange, I love Pink Floyd, but I really don't get on with WYWH. It bores the arse off me.
[/quote]
[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1316521124' post='1379059']

Dave
[/quote]

See I would swap those around, DSOTM bores the arse off me now, and I quite like WYWH, Piper at the Gates of Dawn is still my favourite however, anyway you slice it. And if I have to go post-Syd then Umma-Gumma or Meddle tend to win.
Maybe I just heard Dark Side too many times....

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1316537371' post='1379402']
Almost all the bass on Animals is Gilmour too. I believe Waters only plays bass on sheep, except the end.
[/quote]

Really? I'm surprised to hear that. I've heard a few bits from the Animals tour with some great playing by Rog