Why become a member? ×

Pink Floyd night on the telly

Ou7shined

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1316538366' post='1379422']

Really? I'm surprised to hear that. I've heard a few bits from the Animals tour with some great playing by Rog
[/quote]

Yes, Gilmour wrote a letter to Bass player a few years back detailing who played what. Apparently Waters just didn't much feel like playing bass at the time, prefering rhythm guitar.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1316518473' post='1379012']
Roger always says that it was never his intention to take control of the band but he felt like they gave it to him. He did force Rick out using the threat of deleting The Wall as a means to get him out so by the time Roger left, they were effectively a 3 piece.[/quote]

That's kind of how i've always seen it, rather than Roger wanting to take control by force it just kind of ended up that way because he was the only one who could actually write an album's worth of material that was up to standard. I remember an interview with him a while ago where he explained how frustrated he'd become, i think if he wasn't such a headstrong person Floyd may have fizzled out without The Wall ever coming to fruition.
I think if it was any other way we'd have seen some amazing solo albums and post-Roger Floyd albums written by the other three. I guess the absence of those works speaks volumes.

Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii is my all time favourite music video. It is amazing! Mind you, I first saw it in 1981 with some mates and we'd done a few hot knives :) It totally mesmerised me and I never ever lose the thrill I remember of seeing for the first time. Gilmour's steam train distortion tone in the middle part of Echoes Part 1 is absolutely incredible, wonderful beautiful guitar playing! And his echoed slide swishes at the end of Saucerful of Secrets is utterly die for. Can't get enough of it. I still have the video I taped off the TV in Wales in 1983 and I watch it at least twice a year.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1316529084' post='1379237']
Same here.
Fantastic album. Gilmour at his very best IMO.
[/quote]

My favourite PF album too. Massively under rated PF album that always gets skipped over in any book or documentary. It's more succint than The Wall, is probably their angriest yet coherent album, and has most of my favourite PF lyrics. Then there's Gilmour ripping through the solos in Dogs.. between verses "..you'll get the chance to put the knife in.." and "You gotta keep one eye lookin' over your shoulder.." . Not the most technical of players, but Gilmour is one of my all time favourite guitarists in any genre.

LOVED that album since I was 14. .. First time I heard PF was listening to the Friday rock show on Radio 1 in the late 80s. In amongst all the thrash etc, Tommy Vance would occasionally play some more laid back stuff.. and one night he played "Sheep" . It was like nothing else I'd ever heard at that point..

I look back on those "wow" moments of hearing music for the first time that is unfamiliar and yet exciting/spine tingling... this was one of those moments for me. Having heard so many different groups and genres since, I get those revelatory (is that a word? :/) feelings less and less. Can't put a price on that feeling... better than any drug IMO

Great to see so much love for the Floyd here, I've been a fan since I first heard them in the late '60's. Atom Heart Mother was my intro to them, not the greatest Floyd album but got me hooked. I've got all their albums and been to see them live a few times. Water's solo gigs with Andy Fairweather Low on guitar duties were good but David Gilmour is is my guitar hero. Our own BC member Guy Pratt was outstanding on the post Waters gigs.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1316527444' post='1379210']
"Can I have eggs, sausage, chips and beans?"
[/quote]

and a tea. :)

Live at pompeii, Live at Knebworth and Delicate Sound of Thunder were the first tunes I'd heard of the mighty Floyd in 1989 where I spent most of my 13th and 14th year out of my tree on mushrooms and acid.

Comfortably Numb at Knebworth was the amazing bit for me though. Sam Brown - now there was a fox with a beautiful voice. Used to give me goosebumps every time I listened to it. My first encounter with a Stingray with an E string downtuned to D on Run Like Hell

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pws0ITGyogo"]Comfortably Numb[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voBODG8kvLw"]Run Like Hell[/url]

This was my first encounter with the Floyd

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1316521124' post='1379059']
Hardly a mention of Dark Side of the Moon. :)
Its still the one Floyd album i can listen to at any time and keep going back to. It's almost 40 yrs old now and its still a contender for greatest album of all time.
Animals was another great album that seems to get overlooked by many.

I haven't managed to get into the solo stuff from Roger - can't explain why as i'm not specifically a Floyd officianado as such. I just liked the music.

Dave
[/quote]

I never got Dark Side of the Moon.
I own it, how could I NOT own it??? But I very rarely listen to it. And only just a few tracks.
For me it's Wish You Were Here and Animals, especially, and cannot stand the Syd barret period. This was source of many discussions (near arguments! :)) with a friend of mine as a teenager, who loved all the Syd stuff.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1316868231' post='1383839']

I never got Dark Side of the Moon.
I own it, how could I NOT own it??? But I very rarely listen to it. And only just a few tracks.
For me it's Wish You Were Here and Animals, especially, and cannot stand the Syd barret period. This was source of many discussions (near arguments! :)) with a friend of mine as a teenager, who loved all the Syd stuff.
[/quote]
I find DSOTM works best when you are stoned. Not having been under the influence for nearly 15 years now has resulted in it being relegated on my list... it's still up there though. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316874121' post='1383941']
I find DSOTM works best when you are stoned. Not having been under the influence for nearly 15 years now has resulted in it being relegated on my list... it's still up there though. :)
[/quote]

Afraid I've never been stoned. Maybe i had a naturally vivid imagination to enjoy it stone cold sober - :) :)

Dave

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1316874911' post='1383952']
Just checked my Amazon account.

My 14 album Discovery remasters boxset is "being prepared for despatch". Yay! Should have it on Monday or Tuesday.
[/quote]

Hi Kevin
I'm from Motherwell and still live nearby - Saturday night party then :) - should get through a few of them in one night sitting.
Mine's a BUD. :)

Enjoy the set. I think I've actually got all the Floyd albums in some form or other from vinyl to tape to CD to DVD and Vid.

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1316876570' post='1383974']

Afraid I've never been stoned. Maybe i had a naturally vivid imagination to enjoy it stone cold sober - :) :)

Dave
[/quote]
Hey good for you mate....

.... although you'll never know will you. :o

Here's a thought, some people enjoy JLS completely sober. They obviously have better imaginations than me as well eh. :)

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1316883769' post='1384062']
This looks excellent

[url="http://www.youtube.com/OfficialPinkFloyd"]http://www.youtube.c...ficialPinkFloyd[/url]
[/quote]

Listening now - it is excellent.
It's a live version of Dark Side from Wembley 74 streamed every hour on the hour.

Best version of great gig I've heard them do live.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316878683' post='1383995']
Hey good for you mate....

.... although you'll never know will you. :o

Here's a thought, some people enjoy JLS completely sober. They obviously have better imaginations than me as well eh. :)
[/quote]

Nice one - you got me there.

What's wrong with JLS :)
You need to be stoned to enjoy them :)
So they tell me. :o

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1316883769' post='1384062']
This looks excellent

[url="http://www.youtube.com/OfficialPinkFloyd"]http://www.youtube.c...ficialPinkFloyd[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers for this.
I have the original "tape" i made from the radio when that concert was done and have now put it on CD.
This is far better quality though.

Thanks
Dave

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316874121' post='1383941']
I find DSOTM works best when you are stoned. Not having been under the influence for nearly 15 years now has resulted in it being relegated on my list... it's still up there though. :)[/quote]

Reminded me - the last time I'd seen "Live at Pompeii" before the TV showing last week was at a double bill film show at Liverpool Uni student union some 30-odd years ago. There was a cloud of ganja-smoke filling the entire room and hanging just above our heads that you could have cut with a knife; I remember the other film on the bill was Jimi Hendrix live at somewhere-or-other, but very little after that.......

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1316942513' post='1384495']

Nice one - you got me there.

What's wrong with JLS :)
You need to be stoned to enjoy them :)
So they tell me. :)

Cheers
Dave
[/quote]

I think the better question is what ISNT wrong with JLS haha! sorry im just REALLY not a fan of pop culture XD