Why become a member? ×

Pink Floyd night on the telly

Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316381431' post='1377418']

BBC4 11:40 onwards ending with the utterly fantastic *Live in Pompeii... my favourite.

*some real good live bass from Rog.
[/quote]

That video is spectacular, i've seen it countless times. In fact i only kept my VHS player for that and Eraserhead!

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316383930' post='1377496']
When One Of These Days comes on I get all goose bumpy.
[/quote]

Best version of Careful With That Axe too!
Reminds you what a good rhythm section Mason and Waters were, despite all the stick they get for supposed lack of ability.

Might watch it again tonight actually.....

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1316384296' post='1377504']

Best version of Careful With That Axe too!
Reminds you what a good rhythm section Mason and Waters were, despite all the stick they get for supposed lack of ability.

Might watch it again tonight actually.....
[/quote]

I've heard the "supposed lack of ability" thing before, I always think that if it weren't those two supplying the rhythm section, it couldn't have been anyone else, regardless of technical ability.

As much as some like to knock Floyd, no-one else has ever managed to copy that sound (with their own material that is)
Few tribute bands can play like them but that's not the same as writing the original.

They all deserve a mention IMO.

I also like the Delicate Sound of Thunder band which had Guy Pratt on bass and some great percussion alongside Nick Mason.

Gilmour has a very distinct sound and mannerism and comes across as very relaxed. I guess when you have that much money you can afford to be relaxed - :)

Dave
:)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1316451223' post='1378172']
It was interesting watching Waters more-or-less admit what an arse he'd been about the whole breakup thing, but it was good to see that he can admit it these days. No one is indispensible!

Great stuff though; Echoes at Pompeii is a personal favourite.
[/quote]
I actually thought Dave came over worse, as he's the only one who won't finally bury the hatchet. Maybe that's just hindsight as we already know about Rog's ego trip... although to be fair was he wrong? I think "his" Floyd produced more interesting music than Dave's did.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1316453135' post='1378207']
Sky-plused everything I couldn't watch (our new house flooded last week due to some incompetent plumbing) - looking forward to watching it. Floyd are one of my all-time favourite bands; Shine On quite literally changed my life.
[/quote]
I missed out on that epiphany as my dad listened to Floyd right from when I was a nipper. I even had 2 pet snails when I was about 5 or 6 one called Pink the other Floyd - I remember they had their names painted on their shells. :)
My own musical epiphany happened the first time I heard Nirvana's Nevermind.

I got all excited reading the title, but when I found out it was yesterday I was most miffed. I'm a big Floyd fan but have not seen the Live at Pompei video!

Anyone cae to stick as much as you can on a DVD and post it too me? I'll cover all costs and give you a good mention. It'll be while before it comes around again I suspect.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1316460258' post='1378356']
I got all excited reading the title, but when I found out it was yesterday I was most miffed. I'm a big Floyd fan but have not seen the Live at Pompei video!

Anyone cae to stick as much as you can on a DVD and post it too me? I'll cover all costs and give you a good mention. It'll be while before it comes around again I suspect.
[/quote]
Most of it is on youtube....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgvAwBDbuIo[/media]

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316459281' post='1378331']
I actually thought Dave came over worse, as he's the only one who won't finally bury the hatchet. Maybe that's just hindsight as we already know about Rog's ego trip... although to be fair was he wrong? I think "his" Floyd produced more interesting music than Dave's did.
[/quote]

Interesting point, though Rog was the one who left and then got miffed when the others just carried on without him - which was hardly surprising really, so surely Rog would have thought of that option? Who made the best new stuff after the split? I guess we could discuss that one until the cows come home, though I remember seeing Rog's Radio Kaos at Wembley many years ago and was not exactly overwhelmed.

Personally, I reckon their best stuff was when they were together - as is so often the case when groups split but carry on separately. If I was forced to choose just one album I'd go for Wish You Were Here. I'd be really miffed that Echoes wasn't on it though!

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1316469278' post='1378591']
Yeah it's on YT, i sometimes watch it at work when it's quiet! Didn't know there was different versions, what's the difference?
[/quote]

The Director's cut is widescreen, has different title cards introducing the songs, and has a few new shots inserted of moonscapes and other 'atmospheric' images.
The songs are also interspersed with footage of the band recording Dark Side at Abbey Road. Nick Mason loves his fruit pie but [i]really[/i] doesn't want an end piece.