Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street

ednaplate

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1367144' date='Sep 8 2011, 11:30 PM']are wunjo still trying to pass off a squier bronco bass with a broken & crudely glued musicmaster neck as an original '71 musicmaster like they were last time I was in there?[/quote]

What is it with Wunjo ? I hear some on here saying they are now the [i]only[/i] decent place in Tin pan alley. Others have them as bad as the others ? I have never been there so cant really comment.

[quote name='merello' post='1363318' date='Sep 5 2011, 07:44 PM']Had a poor experience in GG Glasgow recently - looking to buy a present for someone and two of us collected the cash (remember that!) and went in, had a pluck, said, 'we'll take it!' and looked proudly at each other saying, 'well that was easy!'

Sales assistant then says, I'll just serve this guy first and come back. We looked at a free assistant and asked if we could pay him and got a 'No.' (Is there some sort of omerta going on?)

We looked on the bright side and had a wee browse at the untouchables down stairs. Came back up and asked, 'OK, can we buy it now?' as it lay waiting on the counter. 'Er...just be a minute!'

Wandered round once more then 30 mins after our instrument had been chosen looked at the item, looked at the assistants, looked at each other and left. Went to Merchant City Music and bought a slightly more expensive item immediately, got talking to the sales assistant about guitars in general and he volunteered the chance for me to get a shot of an EC Strat and a AmDeluxe Tele. Superb!

That's the 3rd time something similar has happened and they have actually lost about £950 in sales over their lack of desire to serve.[/quote]

I've always found GG in Glasgow very friendly and helpful---but at the same time I can totally picture the scenario you mention. They never seem in a rush, do they!

As for Merchant City Music---great shop, just a shame its so small :) One of the assistants in there is really helpful, one day I went in to try a POG2 and he spent about 30 minutes with me, changing the settings as I played (I asked him to) and then me changing the settings as he played. Gave me a really honest opinion on it too---when a slightly pushier attitude might have made him a sale!

I've always had decent service from V&R when i've popped in... They have let me try whatever I wanted with no fuss. I have bought from them as well.

Although one time they were offering a Ric 4001 up for sale for a large amount of money... Which I then had to point out was a 4003 with the push-pull VT circuit. Oops!

I have also picked up a vibe that just browsing somehow justifies shop staff being mildly belligerent or moody with potential customers. Does this mean that to get civility from shop staff you have to walk in with a visible wad of cash and sign an agreement to buy before you leave? What happened to just going into a shop, having a chat with the staff regarding their stock, and perhaps trying something out. It may or may not result in a sale. I have bought instruments after trying but did not necessarily set out to buy an instrument. I have also gone back at a later date to buy depending on the service I received. If surly shop assistants insist on various conditions before you get a smile or even a hint of service then we all may as well buy from the internet. I like music shops. I want to buy from music shops. Long may they stay in business. To do so they will have to play their part!

• 6 months later...

Was pleasantly surprised today, had a nose round most of the shops in Denmark Street and almost all of the staff were friendly and helpful.

Maybe it's the sunny weather, plus a couple of the shops seem to have changed hands but it seemed a world away from my last visit just before Christmas.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1333039620' post='1596662']
Did you notice how empty most of the shops were?

The word you're looking for is "[i]desperate[/i]".
[/quote]

They actually seemed pretty busy, Wunjo was doing a brisk trade while I was in there.

Not to say they're not desperate though :D

a couple of months ago I bought my guitar from Macari's. Not the one on Denmark, but the one 5 mins away. I'd been to check it out and play it a couple of times, staff were helpful and happy for me to sit there and play. When I went back to buy it I managed to haggle a decent price out of them too.

I've had shoddy service on Denmark Street more than once, although Wunjo have always left a good impression. The worst experience I've had in a guitar place was in Newcastle about six months ago at a store near the Tyne Bridge which will remain nameless.

I was just browsing on a stopover in the city, and saw a very nice black Rick 4003 in their window. I was (still am, sort of) in the market for one, and thought I'd take a look at theirs. I asked to have a spin on it, and the young lad behind the counter said yes. As he wandered off to switch on an amp though, someone who I guess was the manager (a biker-looking guy with a gut like Eric Pickles), stormed over to me as I stood holding the Rick.

'You buying today?' he demanded
'Two grand is a lot of money,' I said jokingly, 'I'd like to try a few before I commit'
'Well, you can get out. Don't waste my staff's time if you're just pissing about.'

He then pulled the guitar from my hand and stormed out the back. I had to take a second to work out what had just happened, and by the time I had gathered my thoughts, I was alone in the shop. So off I went.

I acually live in Leicester, where the chance to even see good gear is limited. Is there anywhere BCers would recommend near me (Nottingham, Birmingham)?

[quote name='achknalligewelt' timestamp='1333102067' post='1597336']
I acually live in Leicester, where the chance to even see good gear is limited. Is there anywhere BCers would recommend near me (Nottingham, Birmingham)?
[/quote]

Sadly there's not much in Nottingham but if you go down to the Hockley area there's Fuzz, Sound Control and also here;
[url="http://www.drumandguitar.co.uk/"]http://www.drumandguitar.co.uk/[/url]
Which is where shep (our own pantherairsoft) used to work for a while. Probably as big a range of basses as anywhere else in Nottm.
Fuzz also has some nice stuff in (very small shop however) and if you want to try a ric they usually have one in. The prices are eye watering though.

Edited by KevB

I was in Denmark St a few months back and at least wander through if I'm in the area. Generally I've tended to do okay in customer service terms but would agree it's not what it used to be. The niche they are trying to occupy appears to be old gear no-one else wants.

I had a chat with one of the guys in Rockers and apparently Westside Distribution's shiny new shop (they sell whatever they distribute in the UK including Mesa/Boogie and Martin) has caused a lot of discontent in the street as they have taken staff from existing shops and the established shops have stopped stocking their brands. I guess it shows there is still a bit of life in the place.

As for Wunjo's they have never had anything I've wanted. Maybe if they cleaned some of their stock it might help.

[/quote]

I grew up in leicester and last time i checked the selection at sheehans wasn't awful. But in Birmingham there is PMT and Guitar Guitar, both of which are good in service and selection. If you want more rock type basses/guitars there is fair play music but i'm not a fan.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1333112503' post='1597596']
Go on, name the shop. That way people can avoid it and reward the good shops with their business. ;)
[/quote]

I'm going to guess it was Sounds Live?

Wouldn't suprise me. I once went in there when buying my first bass. I had £1000 in cash to spend and as I walked through the door I overheard one of the guys whisper to a colleague 'another kid coming to try his luck on an expensive instrument!'...

I asked to try a Warwick (which in hindsight would NOT have been the bass for me anyway!) and the guy said 'Take your belt off and you can. We don't want it scratching the bass, because we've got to sell it at some point'...

I didn't say a word and just walked out. Went up to GuitarGuitar and bought a Geddy. Walked back down to Sounds Live and had a look around with new bass in hand. The guy who had previously been a total tool even had the cheek to say "So, what you been buying then?"....

I appreciate that in the grand scheme of things, a sub-£1000 sale doesn't make much difference to that kind of shop, but that was money in his competitors till and he still didn't even seem to care when I told him what I'd bought just up the road and he realised I would have been up for buying the Warwick.

Edited by skej21

I was in London a couple of weeks ago and took a brief detour between work meetings to wander around Denmark Street. It's the first time I've been for a few years. Where have all the basses gone?

The only shop I found with any had a good selection downstairs (although a brand new Warwick fretless had roundwound strings on and the fretboard was already looking pretty "used"). Still there were a few basses I hadn't seen in any of the several guitar shops in Norwich (why do we have so many in Norwich?).

All in all, though, it's hardly the "UK's Tin Pan Alley" any more, is it? Unless you're in the market for a vintage guitar. Plenty of choice for those, but is that because wealthy Londoners buy them for their investment potential?

However, I did end up chatting to a fellow bassist looking for a fretless. I told him to join up here because there's more choice and a lot of friendly, helpful and reliable people on here.

[quote name='Fuzzbass2000' timestamp='1333109775' post='1597523']
It's odd - a couple of the Denmark St shops seem to have had a refit and there are a few new ones - and one with quite a few basses (including lots of Nash's). Can't remember the name - but pretty basses.
[/quote]

It's called Westside i think - does a great range of Schecter basses.

I went into Wunjo's second shop a couple of days ago (why oh why didn't they call it Twojo's, I hate missed opportunities!) . Friendly, knowledgeable and helpful staff, expecially the chap from Australia/New Zealand (apologies, I can't tell between the accents unless I hear them both together). Good experience. Will be going back soon to buy.

[quote name='achknalligewelt' timestamp='1333121448' post='1597797']
*AHEM* Sounds Live *AHEM*
[/quote]

Gotta say I`m surprised. Maybe their on-line/telephone sales business is more important to them, as they`ve always been 100% great with whatever I`ve bought/returned.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1333133306' post='1597996']
Gotta say I`m surprised. Maybe their on-line/telephone sales business is more important to them, as they`ve always been 100% great with whatever I`ve bought/returned.
[/quote]

Me too - Sounds Live have always been great with me when dealing face-to-face in the shop & I've been going in there for a few years now...

B.

• 5 weeks later...

'Well, you can get out. Don't waste my staff's time if you're just pissing about.'

He then pulled the guitar from my hand and stormed out the back[/quote]

This infuriates me. I work in both the music and service industries so maybe that's why, but when I read that, it made me want to go and cause that guy some trouble, maybe go in and just casually pick up his stock with sticky chocolatey fingers, or lead him on, and on, and on, get him pilling up thousands worth of gear and then give him and expired credit card at the end. Sadly Newcastle is a bit far to go just to harass a complete arsehole.