Why become a member? ×

Band members

janmaat

Was joking in the band practise, the more members in the band the less costs pP for the rehearsal room.
Obviously the other way round once you get paid gigs - that's when it's time to get rid of some.
What's the ideal number of players to a band to you?

Its hard because we are all compromised by the amounts that venues can afford/are willing to pay but I rarely play above a 5-piece and ususally 4. Some venues only pay for duos and trios. We can always make music but the choices around the size of an ensemble are seldom musical.

I play a lot as one half of a duo. There's no hiding place, and you've got to be 'on the money' all the time.
But, we find that arrangements can be much more fluid and having worked together for a few years we can, by a simple gesture or voice signal, go to different palces musically.
When I play as part of a bigger group (in church or other projects) the arrangements have to be much more fixed and disciplined, else it easily collapses to a mess.

To be honest, I like playing in both small and big groups. I think it's better for developing and keeping an all-round skill base.

3 and 4 piece gtr bands are very limiting IMO.

It becomes all gtr and you really need a very good player to be able to entertain.

That said, I am not a fan of twin gtr bands either. But the same applies..the gtr needs to be very decent so as not to sound samey.

I've done 5's and 4's in different combinations (2 guitars and a singer, singer/guitarist plus keys) and the latest is a 3 piece so I've blown the dust off my midi pedals to flesh out one or two songs. I think for rock my ideal line up would still be a 5 piece of drums/bass/guitar/keys fronted by a top notch singer. Deep Purple or Yes basically, you can't see how those bands would function properly with one of the 5 missing. Zeppelin had a huge slice of luck in having a multi instrumentalist bass player, like a 4 and a half piece really.

Edited by KevB

Currently a 5 rock band Drums, Bass, Guitar, Keys & vox.

Historically 3 piece rock / blues bands which are a lot less work both during reahearsal and playing gigs.

You don't get the keys playing the bass part and the "i can't hear myself syndrome" along with the constant battle between gtr & kys on who plays the solo.

Maybe I'm just an old cynic.

With a 3 you find the guitarist does the vocals and therefore most of the work. He's usually an organiser and therefore arranges all the bookings :lol:

I just turned up and played as any professional would :) :) :D

Dave