Why become a member? ×

2x10 for metal gigs?

ironderby

It depends on what you're using. I used two Markbass 2x10s on a gig before and it was way more than I needed! But in my experience the Ashdown MAG 2x10s seemed a bit lacking in the low end, and even two of them stacked didn't feel enough for me. You'll probably need the 1x15 with it on a gig especially if you have a loud drummer!

From the exploded Ashdown stack I have sat here, I suspect you might need a bit more, also, might be better with a 2x10 on top of the 2x10, keep stuff the same, so one doesn't drown out the other breaking. Plus, can do the tall narrow stack, better that way.

What sort of metal, what sort of tuning?

I use 2x210 in a loud band ..too loud at times, and it copes very well up against full keys and a vox AC30 gtr...which ain't quiet
A 210 couldn't do it as I used to try this with a MB 102 combo so forget a single cab against 2 gtrs with half stacks.

IMO, for a 210 to work...you need a very dynamic but pretty quiet band. If you are talking loud, get another cab asap.

Agree with the other posts - get another 210. That way, for rehearsals, you can do without your full set-up, and just use the combo, and at gigs, add in the 210 and you won`t need to adjust eq`s - aside from to the venue of course.

[quote name='ironderby' post='1339131' date='Aug 13 2011, 09:57 PM']....How far could a 2x10 take you for metal gigs? before it gets to the point where i just HAVE to use the extra cab....[/quote]
If you're doing it properly, about 3 minutes!

I wouldn't even use 1 210 for a pop covers band. I think a 410 is a minimum requirement and I'd be saving up for a 610.

I went to a metal gig the other night and the bass player was using one of these

[url="http://www.georgesmusiconline.com/products/Ibanez-Soudwave-SWX65-Bass-Amp-Combo-91107.html?cPath=1_61"]Ibanez swx65[/url]

:)

Although he was also going through the PA. I was still a little surprised though.

I found that I could hardly hear myself in a not-overly-loud rock rehearsal with a GK 2x10 and a GK 400RB (180w at 8ohms) at almost full whack. Although your amp is more powerful than that, I don't think that a 2x10 pumps out enough air to be loud enough.

Edit to make comment marginally useful!

Edited by JimBobTTD

[quote name='chris_b' post='1339243' date='Aug 14 2011, 12:42 AM']If you're doing it properly, about 3 minutes!

I wouldn't even use 1 210 for a pop covers band. I think a 410 is a minimum requirement and I'd be saving up for a 610.[/quote]

Sometimes it seems to depend on what you're using though. My Rumble 350, although it would be regarded as fairly cheap, tends to hold its own when I'm playing. Neither the guitarist or drummer could be described as quiet. The highest I've had the volume is 4. At a soundcheck a couple of weeks ago the chap on the desk asked me to turn it down, I was coming through over the PA mix - although I did point out that I didn't think we needed a full PA for the gig and hence I didn't need to be going through the PA, but you just can't tell a gear nerd can you :)

EDIT: I would however, like more speakers :)

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='chris_b' post='1339243' date='Aug 14 2011, 12:42 AM']If you're doing it properly, about 3 minutes!

I wouldn't even use 1 210 for a pop covers band. I think a 410 is a minimum requirement and I'd be saving up for a 610.[/quote]

Now, you are talking... :)
My next move will be for a quality 610... maybe SWR Snr or NV type. How I get one to the gig is another problem so don't want to spend a whole lot for a handful of gigs a year.

If you are doing decent stages, esp outdoors, you need a rig for the stage sound alone as it will be akin to a indoor pub without FOH.
Unless you have decent side-fills or bolloking wedges and a good few mixes, and know the PA hire engrs, your stage sound will be weak and 300 watts on the amp is not enough unless a pretty quiet band.
This rules out most combos as well....well, all the ones I have used.

You need an amp that can hit the gain and still keeps its sound intact. If you are talking 500w or so into 4...and driving hard, this sorts out many MANY an amp, IME.

i play alot of early metal. Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Motley, Twisted Sister. and Its Standard tuning.
my guitarists have 150w line 6 spiders. And my drummers pretty hard hitting. From what you're saying i might as well buy a 2x10 and pump it through straight away :)

You guys must play some pretty big venues!
I use a Markbass 2x10 combo & play in a loud rock band with a loud drummer, 1 guitarist plays either a Les Paul or a Strat thru an AC30 (& many fx) & the singer plays a Godin synth access guitar through some Marshall gear & I have no probs being heard. My biggest non PA venue was @ 350 folk & I had spare headroom.

+1 to adding another 2x10 & stacking vertically rather than mixing drivers up.

Another 2x10 needed,it makes for a versitile rig as you can use one cab for a quieter gig,rehearsal and both for maximum thump.
I use a 450 watt head which is plenty loud or a roland 1x15 combo with 1x15 powered extension which comes in at 600 watt and you can link them together for a 1k rig,only done it once and still shudder thinking about it as I foolishly switched the powered extension to sub instead of full range and brown trousered everyone including me.
It is easier to move 2 2x10,s than 1 4x10.

oops forgot to say Ashdown 300 watts are not the loudest amp goin and it may only give 300 watt with the extension cab at whatever ohms,I might be wrong but without the extension it may only put out 180 watt.
someone will correct me if I,m wrong,just goin off the top of my head.
You might be better off getting something round the 500 watt mark as you don,t have to turn all the way up,but you will have plenty of headroom and some extra muscle if needed.

Good evening, ironderby, and welcome to the forum...
It's not a question of your repertoire as much as the size of venues you'll be playing, and whether you (the bass...) play clean with headroom or disto.
In a bar/pub, if the drummer is too loud, it won't help having full stacks for the bass/guitars. In a medium concert hall/theatre, with no PA for backline, you'll be a bit 'tight'. Open air, PA for the backline, you'll need to hear your own stack,or have excellent monitors (side, wedges, in-ear...).
A second 2x10 will give you perhaps the best flexibility, but if you're doing much in the way of festivals etc., consider having double that.
You need the watts for the clean headroom, not for the sound volume. The cabs do that.
I play (drums...) in a loud rock covers band; the bass rig is a Hiwatt DR203 and either Ampeg 4x10 or Fender Bassman 2x15. Outdoors it's fine; indoors the Fender would be overkill if we turned the wick up more than we do. The Ampeg does it all (but I would like to add a 1x15 sometimes, outdoors...).
Hope this helps...

Edited by Dad3353

There's a metal band in Manchester called "A Killer's Fear" whose bass player uses JUST an Ashdown MAG 2x10" combo, going up against 2 guitarists, so you can use this type of combo for that type of band. (Probably DI'd, but they've played decent club venues like Club Academy, The Academy 3/Hop & Grape and The Ruby Lounge)

TBH, I'd go for broke & get a 4x10" as the extension cab. You'd have NO problem sound wise then!

Oh, just read you are probably getting a 1x15 extension cab. That will be more than enough to gig with. Even the 1x15 would be enough to gig with. The 2x10 or 1x15 will be enough on their own but together will sit very nicely in your bands mix

I'll also point out the 2 guitarists were using a Peavey 6505+ (with marshall 4x12 cab) Stack and Peavey TripleX (with marshall 4x12 cab) stack with the drummer constantly riding the double kick drum. As said, I used to cut through perfectly even when it was just my amp and no PA system to go in to. I miss my Ashdown combo, it was so much more practical than my current set up =/ haha

Edited by StevieD_FenderP2009

Depends on the gig and how image conscious you are. If you're going through a PA then a good 210 should be fine (a poor 210 won't).

I have used a Hartke 2.5 (a 210 with a little 5" too) with a particularly loud american rock band and its was great. Preferred to add my monster 118 but unplugged it on a couple of occasions.

If you need to be really loud you're likely to get more punch sharing the load.

If you're driven by image a 210 looks a bit poxy.