Why become a member? ×

Rockbottom looted

AndyZed750

[quote name='mcnach' post='1333272' date='Aug 9 2011, 10:00 AM']When things are bad, people revolt. We have seen it in history countless times.

When people just take the opportunity to loot shops, that's not a revolution, it's something else.

The "poor" in this country are still living in substantially better conditions than a lot of people in many other countries. But we've grown too accustomed to a "good life" and there seems to be a general sense of entitlement to things without putting the effort to earn them.
Yes, I agree, the banking issues etc are a disgrace. But in no way any sane person living in this country can see that as a justification to go out, rob, and destroy.

The question is, what is everyone else going to do about it?
Precious little nothing, it seems :)[/quote]

+1. This is not some sort of revolution, it's just a bunch of pathetic chavs who want to nick stuff and generally cause disorder. These people are pathetic. They need to be stopped some time or another. I just don't even know what else to say. Countless shops and businesses and liveliehoods have been ruined by these pathetic little sad twats who just don't give a sh*t about anyone else but themselves.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='AndyZed750' post='1332940' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:19 PM']They won't get payed out by insurance companies so i'm guessing thats it for them like many of the small bussiness in croydon.[/quote]

That's a bit of a presumption.

I would imagine that they would also be due some form of compensation from the authorities, either under the Victims of Crime business or some other specific funding to cover this.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1333617' date='Aug 9 2011, 02:28 PM']As I said it enrages me enough. Sod giving money to a bunch of anti-Western warlords.[/quote]

Instead give it to Western warlords?

'Chav scum'?

I suppose we could give it to MPs for duck houses.

What do you suggest? Might I recommend nurses or other emergency service personnel - they seem to be untouchable in these kinds of arguments.

Very pleased to see this:

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14458505"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14458505[/url]

as the owner of Rockbottom is an old friend of my mate who runs my local music shop. Apparently he was in the shop at the time and they tried to torch it but he managed to put the fire out but couldn't save any of the gear.

[quote name='bremen' post='1333638' date='Aug 9 2011, 02:47 PM']I'm guessing from your gear list that you haven't suffered hunger lately.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Theres a couple of tasty things on that list,seriously doubt theyre edible though?
anyway back to Rockbottom!

Edited by MB1

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1333634' date='Aug 9 2011, 02:41 PM']he managed to put the fire out but couldn't save any of the gear.[/quote]
There were a very nice 60s P and a vintage J (can't remember if it was 60s or 70s) hanging high up the wall. No doubt now sadly reduced to firewood. There is only one other music shop in Croydon (Martin Phelps) I don't know whether that has survived so far.

I'd love to see some instant karma with the head of an F type bass complete with tuners inserted analy to these animals (don't give me disenfranchised, there's no excuse for this behaviour in this country).

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1333626' date='Aug 9 2011, 02:37 PM']Instead give it to Western warlords?

'Chav scum'?

I suppose we could give it to MPs for duck houses.

What do you suggest? Might I recommend nurses or other emergency service personnel - they seem to be untouchable in these kinds of arguments.[/quote]

Come back with a reasoned answer and I'll dignify it with a response.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1333914' date='Aug 9 2011, 06:16 PM']Damage to retailers and home-owners should be paid for by Police Authorities under the 1886 act.[/quote]

By my reckoning, tonight is already going to cost the Met well in excess of £3M and will probably have to go back to central government to beg for money just to maintain the standard service after all this is finished.

They aren't going to have enough money left to start compensating people caught in the crossfire.

I bought a Strat from Rockbottom back in '86. A musician friend of mine lived in Mitcham and we often went down there to have a chat and try out new stuff when I was visiting him. Back then they were passionate about music and many of the people working there were starting careers in music - can't remember his name but the guy that used to demo keyboards got a tour with Terence Trent D'Arby at the time.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1333011' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:04 AM']Yeah that's fair enough. From a point of having worked in insurance claims though it's not a nice feeling to tell someone they've lost everything.[/quote]

yeah and I bet my left arm its the minimum wagers within the company that have to do this horrible job.... while the owners and managers sit and smile in there expensive suits!

[quote name='chewrocket' post='1334644' date='Aug 10 2011, 10:26 AM']yeah and I bet my left arm its the minimum wagers within the company that have to do this horrible job.... while the owners and managers sit and smile in there expensive suits![/quote]

Claims work is well paid for call centre based work actually & can lead on to decent opportunities. You're right about the management etc though!

It has left me with some cynical views towards insurance, especially considering insurance is sold as peace of mind.