Why become a member? ×

Thumbing

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1313551' date='Jul 23 2011, 09:26 AM']Am I the only one that plays with my thumb on slow songs? It gives a really smooth deep sound that is different to playing with fingers, I have been doing it for years but I never hear of anyone else doing it.[/quote]

I'll do it occasionally... and also palm mute after a strike with the thumb nail. Gets close to that 60's Hollywood film music

I only use my thumb if I'm going to pluck two strings simultaneously - one with my thumb and the other with my index finger.

On slow songs where I want a deep mellow sound I play over the neck with my fingers.

Edited by BigRedX

I use my thumb as part of my standard technique.
And I never played guitar before falling into this technique either so it's not a guitarist thing...

Thumb, first finger, and usually both of the other two at the same time.
If I play it with just thumb then I know what you mean, seems a little warmier than fingers.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1313609' date='Jul 23 2011, 10:36 AM']I use my penis on slow songs.

Truckstop[/quote]
Didn't realise you played mandolin, Truckstop :)

Re: thumbing, Sting uses it all the time. Gives a nice, warm rounded sound. I've no idea how some guys manage it on guitar (eg, Jim Mullen) - thats tough when playing fast!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1313714' date='Jul 23 2011, 12:24 PM']I used to do it on a couple of old-school sounding rocksteady numbers, so I could mute with my palm, but in the end I just stuck foam under the strings instead. It does sound nice though especially with flatwounds.[/quote]This.

[quote name='Norm' post='1314131' date='Jul 23 2011, 07:33 PM']Dude who plays for the Hamsters uses his thumb all the time.[/quote]

He uses a modified thumb pick, which sort of looks like he is just using his thumb.

I only pluck with my thumb when I'm trying to do the Matt Garrison thing, or using it in a Jonas Hellborg/Mark King chord style move. I never use it on it's own for slow songs. If I was going for that deep, boomy sound I'd play with my fingers over the neck pickup - not that I ever do that!

[quote name='Paul S' post='1314157' date='Jul 23 2011, 07:53 PM']He uses a modified thumb pick, which sort of looks like he is just using his thumb.[/quote]

What like a finger pickers one for lap steel type of thingy? Wasn't close enough to see that & beer was involved! :)
Cheers,
Norm.

Quote from the Hamsters website

[quote]Zsa Zsa uses a modified Jim Dunlop thumb pick. The modification consists of a circular thumbpiece which is attached to the base of the trimmed pick. This then slips onto Zsa Zsa's thumb somewhat like a ring. This enables him to use the pick without actually having to grip it.

The reason for this modification is that Zsa Zsa suffers from a nerve disease called Focal Dystonia, which, put simply, affects the ability of his hands to receive the control signals from his brain. After much hard work and determination he has over the last few years re-learned to play bass and guitar and is now pretty much up to 75% of his previous ability.[/quote]

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1313609' date='Jul 23 2011, 10:36 AM']I use my penis on slow songs.

Truckstop[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=houU6FjEnaI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=houU6FjEnaI[/url]