Why become a member? ×

Buying a bass just because of it's colour

Bankai

We've just taken a bass in as a part exchange. It's a early 2000's Fender MIM Jazz. Nothing special, except for the fact it's Sage Green.

What is this?
I don't even...

I already have exactly the same, but in a different colour. But something draws me to this. I didn't even know they made them in this finish!

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1311083' date='Jul 21 2011, 06:55 AM']Can you afford it and/or do you need a backup?[/quote]
Just about and no :)

I already have a USA Precision, MIM Jazz, Epi Pro Thunderbird, SR Precision and a Shine 845!

Edited by Bankai

YES! I just bought an Aerodyne that was white with black binding because I liked the look of it!

Having said that I would try it out to make sure it plays ok and is comfortable, fixing that is not always possible. If it sounds a bit naff that can be resolved by pickup changes etc.

I used to play with a guitarist who would buy guitars purely on colour. If it was a shade he didn't have, he'd buy it, and if it didn't work he'd try to fix it. Consequently he had a collection of the most awful guitars you can imagine, and usually spend half of a rehearsal with a box of tools fixing whatever had burnt out or fallen off.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1311078' date='Jul 21 2011, 06:36 AM']We've just taken a bass in as a part exchange. It's a early 2000's Fender MIM Jazz. Nothing special, except for the fact it's Sage Green.

What is this?
I don't even...

I already have exactly the same, but in a different colour. But something draws me to this. I didn't even know they made them in this finish![/quote]

Haha who are we to offer sage advice everyone one has Gas for shiny on here...................

[quote name='Bankai' post='1311078' date='Jul 21 2011, 06:36 AM']We've just taken a bass in as a part exchange. It's a early 2000's Fender MIM Jazz. Nothing special, except for the fact it's Sage Green.

What is this?
I don't even...

I already have exactly the same, but in a different colour. But something draws me to this. I didn't even know they made them in this finish![/quote]

Haha who are we to offer sage advice everyone one has Gas for shiny on here...................

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1312026' date='Jul 21 2011, 08:31 PM']No.
Never buy a mediocre bass because of its colour.
OTOH, don't ignore a good bass because you don't like the colour.

Just like a worn out shark, you can always get a re-fin.[/quote]

This guy has a very good point

Depends how vain you are......... :)

For me, the order of priorities always are:

1. Neck feel, ease of playing, and general comfort.

2. Sound.

3. Colour/style

That said, I wouldn't even bother trying something that I REALLY didn't like the look of, but I'm not too fussy anyway!

I am thinking about buying a Sunburst Precision because a. It will blend in better with the band rather than my white precision and b. I seem to be comfotable playing a precision and c. the tone seems to work best with this band.

My only concern is I hate Sunburst :)