Why become a member? ×

Only a stingray sounds like a stingray

ThomBassmonkey

But if I put up solo tracks you'll be able to hear all my mistakes. :)

I'll do it when I get home, downside to GarageBand is it saves in mp4 which the forum doesn't accept so I need to convert it on a PC first.

The EQs are the same for both on the modelling (only thing changed on the recording between them was the volume of the bass part), the mid was knocked down a bit on the Sandberg's pre because it was obviously far louder, otherwise the EQs are flat on both.

[quote name='Mylkinut' post='1305017' date='Jul 15 2011, 07:16 PM']:D

We're going to look pretty stupid if it's number 1 :lol:[/quote]
It could be a double bluff with an intentional bit of clank here and there, That's going to be my excuse anyway :)

It could be early enough to be an Alnico one but as it's in neck position I'm calling the test null and void :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1305064' date='Jul 15 2011, 07:46 PM']It could be early enough to be an Alnico one but as it's in neck position I'm calling the test null and void :)[/quote]

As far as I am aware the switch from Alnico to Ceramic was done in 1991 at the same time as the phantom coil was introduced. If this is a 1993 then it's Ceramic. I suppose we need the serial number to verfiy which it is.

I am chuckling a little at the discussion about what the pickup might be,and how it needs to
heard soloed etc.....I suppose it saves face a little more than just saying that you can't actually
tell which bass is which. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1305077' date='Jul 15 2011, 07:55 PM']Well, only the post 2008 HS models, and the pre 2008 single H H/S models have the option for a single coil IIRC.

This is definitely the single coil (switch towards neck) if its a Ray.[/quote]

If it's the same controls as the sterlings back in the early nineties then the middle position on the 3 way gives you single coil(the bridge coil) as I believe it anyway.

If it is indeed the ceramic pup in the series position (3-way pointing at neck) then I will guess 1 as it has a low mid boost, and since you cut the kids back on the sandberg the 2nd definatly has a slight mid cut.

A straight forward alnico equipped SR4 with 2 or even 3 band EQ flat against another brands impression would make the exercise a lot easyier.

Personally I wouldn't call the SR5 a true ray, not even the newer ones with the alnico pups due to the 3 way. The best SR4's plus another string are the classic SR5s, alnico, same preamp, no other gubbins in the way.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1305090' date='Jul 15 2011, 08:04 PM']If it's the same controls as the sterlings back in the early nineties then the middle position on the 3 way gives you single coil(the bridge coil) as I believe it anyway.

If it is indeed the ceramic pup in the series position (3-way pointing at neck) then I will guess 1 as it has a low mid boost, and since you cut the kids back on the sandberg the 2nd definatly has a slight mid cut.

A straight forward alnico equipped SR4 with 2 or even 3 band EQ flat against another brands impression would make the exercise a lot easyier.

Personally I wouldn't call the SR5 a true ray, not even the newer ones with the alnico pups due to the 3 way. The best SR4's plus another string are the classic SR5s, alnico, same preamp, no other gubbins in the way.[/quote]
Rear position on mine is [b]exactly[/b] the same as my 2002 SR4, Alnico & SR 3band EQ :)

Neck is single coil or phantom on new ones, middle is series & rear is parallel afaik?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Doddy' post='1305083' date='Jul 15 2011, 07:59 PM']I am chuckling a little at the discussion about what the pickup might be,and how it needs to
heard soloed etc.....I suppose it saves face a little more than just saying that you can't actually
tell which bass is which. :)[/quote]

If only a Stingray sounds like a Stingray, is it possible a Stingray doesn't sound like a Stingray too? :)

On Sunday once I've put up the reply, I'll do another version with the pickup on the ''proper'' setting, though it won't be so much of a test because people will know, more for observation.

The complete saying should go "only an AlNiCo Stingray in parallell sounds like a Stingray". :) :) (No offence to ceramic SR5's...)
Anyway, my vote goes to no2 for the Stingray5, great idea and it'd be great with more clips. Good fun!

Out of interest, is the Sandberg bridge PU spot on in the SR position? Being an HH i suppose it is?

All of which goes to show that basses sound like basses sound like basses.

I can't even tell the difference between my no-name P-copy and my Peev 5 if I don't use the B string.

So if you lot can't tell, no-one in an audience ever would.

Basses, see, they sound like basses! And I'm stickin' to it!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1305090' date='Jul 15 2011, 08:04 PM']If it's the same controls as the sterlings back in the early nineties then the middle position on the 3 way gives you single coil(the bridge coil) as I believe it anyway.

Personally I wouldn't call the SR5 a true ray, not even the newer ones with the alnico pups due to the 3 way. The best SR4's plus another string are the classic SR5s, alnico, same preamp, no other gubbins in the way.[/quote]

You are correct re: the switch.

The Ray 5 is a Ray though, especially now they are alnico.

The 2 band vs 3 band is subjective. I like both.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1305083' date='Jul 15 2011, 11:59 AM']I am chuckling a little at the discussion about what the pickup might be,and how it needs to
tell which bass is which. :)[/quote]
My thoughts too. All the questions asking for hints about things that we are supposed to be able to hear :) Experts that haven't offered a guess will likely be confirming they knew all along once the answers are posted if this test follows the usual patterns. The questions are proving the point more than the test is.

I would get rid of the amp modeling as that makes it no longer sound normal.

I don't hear Stingray in either clip.

I have a 78 Ray, and [b]that[/b] does sound like a Ray..... :)
Which ever clip is supposed to sound like the Ray, it still sounds like a fraud.

Another one here for 'get rid of the Amp modeling'
A Stingray always sounds at its nastiest and best when just DI.

What a great thread for nonsense all round.
Carry on chaps.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1305308' date='Jul 15 2011, 10:54 PM']I don't hear Stingray in either clip.[/quote]
Thats because ones a Sandberg and the others practically a P bass with half a musicman pickup wired as a single coil :)

If think the OP should not tell us until the clips have been re done to a fresh track with the bass in MM mode even then its possibly ceramic rather than Alnico so It might not have the full MM sound we are listening for, Im still going with the clank on 2 but I have no idea what a ceramic single coil is meant to sound like, Thats probably why so many say number 1 because in truth the Sandy is nearer what most class as the real thing againt the ceramic single coil?

Do you really think people commenting on the difference between a single coil ceramic pickup and an Alnico Humbucker is unfair? I dont.

[quote name='lowdown' post='1305330' date='Jul 15 2011, 11:16 PM']I have a 78 Ray, and that does sound like a Ray.....
Which ever clip is the Ray, it still sounds like a fraud.

Another one here for 'get rid of the Amp modeling'
A Stingray always sounds at its nastiest and best when just DI.

[b]What a great thread for nonsense all round.
[/b]Carry on chaps.

Garry[/quote]
Indeed and why not Garry :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1305332' date='Jul 15 2011, 11:17 PM']Indeed and why not Garry :)[/quote]

Of course Pete, and i have just had a visit over to the MM serial number site, just to carry on with my own nonsense.. :)
Just staring at serial numbers - lovely.

Garry

Edited by lowdown