Why become a member? ×

Only a stingray sounds like a stingray

ThomBassmonkey

Putting the age old opinion to the test, one of the below is recorded on a EBMM Ray5, the other is my Sandberg HH5, the bassline is the same (bar a held note near the start so I know which is which), the playing is terrible, the amp modelling is the same and it's the first thing I've ever recorded (the bass part, the rest is the demo track, though I have changed a lot of the sounds used and mix) using garageband for ipad, so the mix isn't the best ever.

While they do sound slightly different (I didn't actually try and make them sound the same barring putting the Sandberg on the bridge pup and altering the mid knob slightly, no real effort put in, I'm sure they could be made to sound more similar), I'm not sure I'd guess which one was the right one.

1) [attachment=84745:Sandbergvsmm.mp3]
2) [attachment=84744:sandbergvsmm2.mp3]

I know the playing and mixing isn't great, but hopefully it's good enough.

Another post from later in the thread with a couple more sound clips that should cater to the critisisms people have had of the test. :lol:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145876&view=findpost&p=1305391"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...t&p=1305391[/url]

I'll post up the right answer later on at some point. :)

Answers here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145876&view=findpost&p=1306376"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...t&p=1306376[/url] :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

again this sounds absolutely nothing like my old Ray5, mine was as angry as a box of wasps and nothing could tell it otherwise no matter what you did with coils or EQ, it was just awesome :)

I was hoping to have a good educated guess at this as my last bass was a Ray5 and my new one is a Sandberg but they are so very similar.

Im going to go with number 2 for the Ray as i can get close to the middle range nasal sound that number 1 has got a wee bit more on my Sandberg. Tough one though....

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1304789' date='Jul 15 2011, 03:02 PM']Putting the age old opinion to the test, one of the below is recorded on a EBMM Ray5, the other is my Sandberg HH5, the bassline is the same (bar a held note near the start so I know which is which), the playing is terrible, the amp modelling is the same and it's the first thing I've ever recorded (the bass part, the rest is the demo track, though I have changed a lot of the sounds used and mix) using garageband for ipad, so the mix isn't the best ever.

While they do sound slightly different (I didn't actually try and make them sound the same barring putting the Sandberg on the bridge pup and altering the mid knob slightly, no real effort put in, I'm sure they could be made to sound more similar), I'm not sure I'd guess which one was the right one.

1) [attachment=84745:Sandbergvsmm.mp3]
2) [attachment=84744:sandbergvsmm2.mp3]

I know the playing and mixing isn't great, but hopefully it's good enough.

I'll post up the right answer later on at some point. :)[/quote]

Interesting exercise... but neither of them sound very "Stingrayish" to me. :lol:
If I had to choose, I'd go with clip #2. But I'll be as surprised whether I guess right or I guess wrong... Neither sounds what I'd call "clearly a Stingray" :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1304921' date='Jul 15 2011, 05:41 PM']Iirc I think the ray is on the neck position on the 3 way (I'm not 100% though) can't remember what the positions are though.[/quote]

Ah! I read too fast... it's an SR5!!!

For me a Stingray is: coils in parallel.
If you didn't use that position, then it can go some way to explain my confusion. Also, is that an SR5 with the alnico or the ceramic humbuckers? If you give me a ceramic in series then I might never ever guess :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1304960' date='Jul 15 2011, 06:28 PM']Ah! I read too fast... it's an SR5!!!

For me a Stingray is: coils in parallel.
If you didn't use that position, then it can go some way to explain my confusion. Also, is that an SR5 with the alnico or the ceramic humbuckers? If you give me a ceramic in series then I might never ever guess :)[/quote]
Hence my first post Jose. Ceramic front position means nothing to me, Parallel-back position-Alnico FTW :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1304964' date='Jul 15 2011, 06:32 PM']Hence my first post Jose. Ceramic front position means nothing to me, Parallel-back position-Alnico FTW :)[/quote]

ah, so you think too that it's an SR5 using not-your-garden-variety-Stingray switching option?

by the way, what is "FTW"? :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1304962' date='Jul 15 2011, 06:30 PM']Im saying clip 2 now I have heard it (oddly there are more downloads of the first clip?) And here is the weird thing my choice had nothing to do with the tone of the basses, Anyone intrigued by my thoughts? :)[/quote]

I think I know what you're talking about, I heard a certain thing in clip 2 that I always hear whenever I'm playing my 'Ray (again, nothing to do with tone).

Great minds or have you spotted something completely different?

[quote name='mcnach' post='1304970' date='Jul 15 2011, 06:40 PM']ah, so you think too that it's an SR5 using not-your-garden-variety-Stingray switching option?

by the way, what is "FTW"? :lol:[/quote]
For The Win Jose :)

[quote name='Mylkinut' post='1304989' date='Jul 15 2011, 06:52 PM']I think I know what you're talking about, I heard a certain thing in clip 2 that I always hear whenever I'm playing my 'Ray (again, nothing to do with tone).

Great minds or have you spotted something completely different?[/quote]

I think your there too C**N*? :)