Why become a member? ×

how many of you

steve-bbb

I'm working towards it. I can sing OK (in tune at least), and I can play bass OK (ish).

My problem when putting the two together is that where as the bass generally needs to be quite rigid in timing, the vocal lines often need float around the timing a bit to give it expression. When I try to do the two together the singing timing tends to become rigid as well, making it a bit lack lustre.

As I say working towards it slowly. Working on things like Pride & Joy, Hoochie Coochie Man, Steamroller, Road House Blues etc. with some success. Tried Too Rolling Stoned (original had a singing bass player) and that one is quite difficult.

Edited by Count Bassy

I can................t :)

I can't sing at all. Whenever I try & sing, everyone leaves. I tried using autotune & it got up & left too!
Cheryl Cole sings better than me! Infact, the cast of Glee sing better than me!!!

I think I'll stick with just playing bass. :)

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1285907' date='Jun 28 2011, 11:46 PM']Interesting Alex commented on Reggae, as the only person i can understand how they play and sing at the same time is Sting. Early Police bass lines his vocal style sits in the gaps. So maybe start there at it may get easier ?[/quote]

Which is pretty much how it works in the blues and many musical genres that stem from it. Most of the singers play guitar or keys and they alternate a sung line with a played line (mini-solo!). So in effect they are playing for half the song and singing the other half.

As bass and drums are playing throughout the entire song it is much harder to sing at the same time - especially allowing for syncopation on either the vocals or the bass...

I can do it and have done it, but it takes a lot of work and as others have said I always feel that both the bass part and the vocal part have to be compromised to accommodate the other.

Unless you are Geddy Lee of course.

I sang backing vocals on one song at the little gig we did Sunday. But it was just during the chorus, and very simple and quite similar to what I was playing.
Nevertheless, I amazed myself with the fact I could do it at all!

No-one would ever want to hear me sing lead vocals though. I can keep in tune but my voice sounds all feeble and warbly. Not very rock and roll! :)

Yeah, I'm the lead singer in our band, purely because nobody else could do it. Most songs I can sing and play reasonably well, some I just can't-we don't do those. Our guitarist and drummer have both started trying to sing and play recently, and both have expressed sympathy for my position now they've had a go!
Sight reading? Forget it.

So are we saying that for most of us its a difference in timing that creates the issues, given that you can sing in the first place and have practiced that part as well as the bass. Or is there more to it?

Edited by wez

I got a really really orrible voice, more Artur Mullard than Eagles. I do a bit of backing vocs if the song really needs it more for effect than anything. Even our drummer can do it better than I can.

Not so much a timing problem although that as well, its more a cant sing in tune one.

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='wez' post='1286206' date='Jun 29 2011, 11:03 AM']So are we saying that for most of us its a difference in timing that creates the issues, given that you can sing in the first place and have practiced that part as well as the bass. Or is there more to it?[/quote]

some really interesting answers coming out here and judging by all the comments resonating with everyone

for me persoanlly its not just the difference in timing its also the rhythms and the structure and counterpoint - its as if the whole essence of bass lines is completely at odds with the melody/vocals and it is just too different for my tiny barin cells to coordinate and multi-task - i get peoples comments about geddy lee and stuff, maybe chris squire style bass lines are easier to sing against than say robert trujillos infectious grooves basslines or paul mccartneys but then that is down to everybodys individual cognitive process working in different ways i guess

i note other posters have mentioned about practice making perfect - not wishing to sound defeatist i honestly dont think its something i could get my head round, at least not without a decade or two to spare - ive been playing string driven things since i was 14 - ie 35 years ago - so the playing is very much automatic now yet still i turn catatonic if i even so much as think about the first syllable of a vocal line!

I can't really sing, I've done bits and with practice can play and sing at the same time including some quite complex stuff (I've done two hand tapping whilst singing a different melody and rhythm at the same time). I think it just takes practice, there was an interview with Les Claypool and he freely admits that he practices the hell out of new stuff to be able to do it.

I can barely move around and play at the same time. Also, I don't even sing in the shower so this is not an issue for me.

I have got into trouble a few times when the singer has started talking to me during a song and I've lost my way a bit.

This is why i just stand at the back and concentrate on what I am playing.

In all honesty, I struggle to chew gum, breathe and play at the same time.

A while ago I was involved in a band situation which required me to mime backing vocals ( and keyboard bass, but we won't go there!!! ) and I even found it impossible to convincingly lip-sync, never mind pitching my voice etc.

I'm truly full of admiration for players who can do it well!!

I can but sometimes struggle depending on the song. Mostly can be overcome with a mixture of either slightly dumbing down the bass line or changing vocals a little but am mostly OK

Mind you recently tried The Smiths - This Charming Man. I could happily play the bass line OR sing but sadly not both at once.

Damn those talented people for whom it's easy!

I do the odd bit of backing shouting, but that's about it.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' post='1286553' date='Jun 29 2011, 03:48 PM']Damn those talented people for whom it's easy![/quote]

I agree!
I'm currently listening to NoMeansNo, Rob Wight is on talanted sod and damn him!

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='1286133' date='Jun 29 2011, 10:02 AM']Yeah, I'm the lead singer in our band, purely because nobody else could do it. Most songs I can sing and play reasonably well, some I just can't-we don't do those. Our guitarist and drummer have both started trying to sing and play recently, and both have expressed sympathy for my position now they've had a go!
Sight reading? Forget it.[/quote]

+1 to the first line above. Had to in my old covers band, most can do, some songs just no chance at all. Drop those & find some more can do's & practice, practice & then more practice! ALso agree with another comment that get the bass part nailed so you can concentrate on the vox.
In a new originals band now, doing backing vox & maybe lead vox on a couple of numbers.
Cheers,
Norm.

I share lead vocal duties equally with two other band members (guitar and bouzouki) and love it. I find that once I've learned the bass line and the words , putting the two together isn't as difficult. It also gets easier the more you do it.
I couldn't bare the idea of just standing there strummimg while I sing.

Very selective about what I'll attempt to sing lead and play bass at same time on. I quickly know if a song is doable with work or it'll be a non starter. Every respect to those that do it so effortlessly. Go on, try doing All My Loving with proper bass and vocal part with correct timing (beats me every time!)