Why become a member? ×

Ever miss 24 frets?

MarshallBTB

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1278752' date='Jun 22 2011, 04:58 PM']Could always get a 5,6 or 7 string bass if you need the higher notes but don't want 24 frets.

I want one of [url="http://www.ritter-instruments.com/item_info.php?i=129"]these[/url] or [url="http://www.ritter-instruments.com/item_info.php?i=363"]these![/url]
That way I needent worry about running out of frets. :)[/quote]

Now I think of it, there aren't many sixers with less than 24frets. Perhaps the Fender Steve Bailey?
I seem to manage alright, in spite of having had 20,21,22,24 and 26 in the collection all at the same time.
I seldom get above 20, so I don't really miss the extras.

21 seems makes "sense" on a 4 string, as (assuming EADG tuning) the last (21st) fret on the G string is an "E" to match the open "E"

20 feels like an old and random convention.

22? Don't get it.

24 Double octave. Makes perfect sense. End of

26 Why?

Next one that'd make sense is if someone fretted a Michael Manring Zon Hyperbass. 36!

Edited for- Hi Marshall... Didn't even see you'd started this! What Fender V are you looking at? I liked the P Deluxe V (the old one) and the Roscoe Beck sig... Never really liked the Jazz Fivers- The Vigier's got that covered!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1278297' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:03 AM']Saying that i do slightly prefer 21 frets since the spacing is slightly wider, the frets dont seem so bunched together up top so for me its easier to move around.[/quote]
I think we need to start running basschat science lessons? :) they don't squeeze an extra few in the same board you know the fretboard is longer to accommodate resulting in you guessed it exactly the same fret spacing :)

Just looked at my bass and noted the highest I ever went at a gig was sliding to D at 17, and last gig was Eb at 13 for I predict a riot

I like doing jazz standard chord stuff up high, but Id only ever do that at home for fear of getting laughed at , so I don't really need about 1/8th of my bass at all

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Johnston' post='1278896' date='Jun 22 2011, 06:58 PM']Don' be silly your just trolling for the lolz .[/quote]
Actually I used to have a SGC Nanyo Bass Collection (really) but I found the fret spacing too tight so went to a Ray, now I have an extra fret on the Ray five but they dont appear to of bunched them up too much for the extra one :)

[quote name='Conan' post='1278285' date='Jun 22 2011, 10:56 AM']Trying to play "By the way" by the RHCP on a J or P is rather a challenge.[/quote]

Yes, sometimes that extra fret (or frets) you take for granted catch you unprepared... The first time I played By The Way on a Jazz rather than on a Stingray I found myself falling off the edge :) But if you are awake, you can quickly simply play the octave below. It may not work in all cases, so you may want to ahve a quick check of how you'd play a particular passage, but it's generally not a big issue.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1278909' date='Jun 22 2011, 07:16 PM']It's a bit like over wrapping a Tune-O-Matic so that the increase of scale length gives a bit less tension for those squealin' bends .[/quote]

I love bass chat! :) My mate used to leave the ends uncut on his strings in case he snapped one?

I only really need two strings and twelve frets...... :)

seriously my fretless has 24 er positions!

My viola only has 20 frets and I just love the short scale bass :lol:

If they are there and I can use them, I will.

EDIT: The viola has 22 frets :) I really should check before posting stuff!

Edited by Blademan_98

I've had 24 frets since my first (half decent) bass and it's what im most comfortable with. I've tried the 5 string Yam BB, and I love the sound, feel and looks of the bass, I just prefer having one bass that I can do everything on. I don't want to waste time ( as little as it may be) switching guitars on stage for different songs, when you only have a 30-40 minutes we try to cram as much music in as possible!

Quick edit : It's already been said, but I like the extra frets not so much because i use the extra 3 as much, but because it makes 15+ feel more comfortable. For me anyway.

PS: Hey Alex! Long time no speak, hope your good! If I went for the fender it would have to be the P Deluxe ! ..although....I think i prefer the feel of the yamaha. Fender 5 strings just feel odd to me. & I'll have to get to one of your gigs when your local !

Edited by MarshallBTB

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1278921' date='Jun 22 2011, 07:25 PM']I love bass chat! :) My mate used to leave the ends uncut on his strings in case he snapped one?[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that on guitar, I still do it. As long as it snaps at the bridge end you can tie the ball end back on and get twice as much use out of it. Doesn't work with Bass at all sadly.

I used to use all 24 on my E string in an old band when playing Running Free - I would have been stumped with a bass with fewer frets unless I changed how it was played. Now I use 22 of the 24 but like knowing that my bass will pretty much never hold me back.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1279403' date='Jun 23 2011, 09:45 AM']But then does the bit that was wound around the tuner not get a little kinked up and kill the string??

Hardly worth it when a spare set of guitar strings is only a fiver, Bar stewards .[/quote]

fivers a fiver, I bust strings a lot when I'm gigging. Doesn't kill the string enough for anybody to really notice. Least of all me (or punters).
When I can spend a fiver a week on strings I will, but that day will never come.

I don't really do any left hand work about the 12th fret in bands, very rarely I'll do a run that goes up past there for the end of a song or in a break down or something but it's not very often.

I think I tap up to the 15th fret or so with my right hand, though that's not very common. It doesn't exactly push to the limits of my basses either.

I occasionally do a bit of harping when I'm playing about but that doesn't need frets and I don't usually tap off the fretboard then anyway, usually I play in the lower octaves then tap whatever interval I'm using in the next octave.

[quote name='Machines' post='1278406' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:25 PM']I prefer 24 - i like the thought of my fretboard being 2 octave and symmetrical at the 12th.[/quote]
+1 to this

Also, my band play a song with the bass line played totally on the g string (alongside a droning d string on a 4 string bass) and it goes all the way up to the 23rd fret. Started playing the song on a 21 fret bass the other day without thinking and had to do some very hasty improvisation.

I don't think it's a big deal either way-I always want a couple more frets.

If I'm playing a Fender with 20 frets I'll play some things in different positions-and if I
[i]need[/i] the extra few notes,it's easy enough to hit a few false harmonics. If I'm
soloing,I like having 2 octaves,but even then a few more frets would be nice.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1279386' date='Jun 23 2011, 09:32 AM']Nothing wrong with that on guitar, I still do it. As long as it snaps at the bridge end you can tie the ball end back on and get twice as much use out of it. Doesn't work with Bass at all sadly.[/quote]
Sadly I don't think that was his plan :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1279563' date='Jun 23 2011, 12:48 PM']Oh I agree a fivers a fiver but then what does a fiver buy you these days. Not a lot :) :) . But then when you get guitarists who think you should half a dozen spare sets in the gig bag just because they have.

Their half a dozen costs the same as 1 set for the bass.[/quote]

Now that is true, took me a while to get out of the habit. Down to 3 spare sets lying about the place now (all used).

My guitar box still has loads though. Them fiddly little things break easy...

All the basses I play regularly these days have 24 (or more) fret necks. Not because I need all the frets (although sometimes I do) but because the longer neck means that heel has been moved further up the neck and therefore the higher positions that I do use (between the 12th and 17th frets) are much easier to play.

This the reason why I no longer use bolt-on necked basses with 21 or fewer frets because the heel/neck joint is completely in the way.