Why become a member? ×

What would your ideal Class D amp be if you could spec it yourself?

Clarky

There's now a ton of Class D amps. I am waiting on getting a new Aguilar Tonehammer TH500 from BassGear which looks to suit my needs best, although - as I've said in other threads - I would dearly love an integrated lightweight Sansamp/Class D head (can't understand why Tech 21 haven't gone down this route ....)

It amazes me how the various Class D heads differ. For example, Markbass have a pretty warm sound but they're (in relative terms) starting to look big and they don't have a headphone socket. The SWR Headlite is a nifty little package but tries too hard to be clever (too many controls IMHO) and the dial settings are very hard to see. The Shuttle is quite marmite according to reviews I've seen, with some criticising the overdrive tone and the (over?) bright LEDs etc etc ...

So if you were spec'ing out a Class D amp from scratch, what key features would you include .... and exclude?

GK's MB Fusion would pretty much be my ideal spec list. I'd like to see GK's bi-amping on there but I suspect that'd increase the size and weight a fair bit and defeat the point, also it'd be nice to have two dedicated channels instead of two gain structures using one EQ. Apart from that, 500w, 3 12AX7s, 4 band EQ, countour, bass and treble boosts etc are all that I need. Neither of the two improvements I suggested have ever felt limiting.

My Orange Terror but with a Tech21 pre amp, a programmable three channel footswitch with built in tuner like the TC one and a non nuclear powered DI out.
Maybe a backlit panel with some multicoloured, pulsating LED's. I like the tarts handbag look on stage.

I have always wanted a triple amp

So basically a stereo amp but with one side split which you could also be bridge if desired.

The Larger amp would be 500watt and you would have two 250 watt amps that would form a stereo bi amp top.

I would have the large amp for the low end you would use clean you would get an active cross over knob for setting this. My preamp would have a built in top draw stereo chorus and additional patch bay for series /parallel and pre post x over.
Probably a built in compressor limiter.

What more would you want. Well a custom set of speaker cabs to match I guess.

The nearest I got to this was with a Peavey 15x2x8 cab then bought the peavey bright box which was 2x8 with built in amp. I had a Carvin Probass 500 head Bi amp and drove the 15" low end, fed my hi out to a stereo chorus pedal and fed one output to the powered bright box and the other back into my Hi in on the amp that fed the 2x8 of the larger cab. Cooking !!! :)

Edited by deepbass5

I think Id like to see Markbass compete with the modern incarnations and make an amp with a proper mute, LM2/3 EQ section with para-mids, just a little bit smaller than the LM2/3, aux in, 800 watts but still the LM2/3 tone, headphone in, and the same weight.

The Streamliner and RH amps are pretty much spot on at the moment. I still think TC are ahead though. There isnt much you can add to the RH750.

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1258663' date='Jun 6 2011, 05:35 PM']I have always wanted a triple amp

So basically a stereo amp but with one side split which you could also be bridge if desired.

The Larger amp would be 500watt and you would have two 250 watt amps that would form a stereo bi amp top.

I would have the large amp for the low end you would use clean you would get an active cross over knob for setting this. My preamp would have a built in top draw stereo chorus and additional patch bay for series /parallel and pre post x over.
Probably a built in compressor limiter.

What more would you want. Well a custom set of speaker cabs to match I guess.

The nearest I got to this was with a Peavey 15x2x8 cab then bought the peavey bright box which was 2x8 with built in amp. I had a Carvin Probass 500 head Bi amp and drove the 15" low end, fed my hi out to a stereo chorus pedal and fed one output to the powered bright box and the other back into my Hi in on the amp that fed the 2x8 of the larger cab. Cooking !!! :)[/quote]
Used to have a Peavy Megabass amp with that Peavey cab, which did the biamp thing along with chorus that was OK. Hardly D Class weight though!! :)

Just picked up an LMT from For Sale, and as ever it is running EQ flat & no filters.

What I would really like (and was about to start a thread on but will put it here) is a footswitchable mute. Used to have it on my old Trace combo and it was good for a quick mute & tune using any old lead and a Roland non latching footswitch. So many amps (like the MB heads) have is a tuner out that you can feed a tuner outside of a long loop, but the amp is not muted so there is no chance of a surreptitious check in the odd quiet bit

[quote name='WalMan' post='1258675' date='Jun 6 2011, 05:47 PM']Used to have a Peavy Megabass amp with that Peavey cab, which did the biamp thing along with chorus that was OK. Hardly D Class weight though!! :)

Just picked up an LMT from For Sale, and as ever it is running EQ flat & no filters.

What I would really like (and was about to start a thread on but will put it here) is a footswitchable mute. Used to have it on my old Trace combo and it was good for a quick mute & tune using any old lead and a Roland non latching footswitch. So many amps (like the MB heads) have is a tuner out that you can feed a tuner outside of a long loop, but the amp is not muted so there is no chance of a surreptitious check in the odd quiet bit[/quote]
If you're happy to have a footswitch anyway, you may was well just stick a tuner pedal on the floor by your amp.

Alembic F2B (twin channel fender/RCA preamp from the radiogram days) with a 300w class D power amp and a transformer DI in a small box. My Euphonic Micro is very close to this...but the preamp isn't quite as nice and the DI is a balanced stereo jack. Ever seen a grumpy/confused sound engineer? This feature virtually guarantees you will meet one.

I don't need anything more than a LMII in terms of tone or volume but i would like a mute switch. Also it would be handy if it were half the size and weight. If i could get that for £200 then winner!

I actually really love the Superfly front end so i'd love to see that on the front of a top-spec amp, probably wouldn't buy it though.

Tonally, the Streamliner is unbeatable, IMO. I'm clutching at straws to think how I could possibly improve it (bear in mind I'm a simple chap) and all I can think of is a tuner and a clip light.

The RH450 is a monster when it comes to features, but the truth is I never really used any of them.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1258833' date='Jun 6 2011, 07:49 PM']Alembic F2B (twin channel fender/RCA preamp from the radiogram days) with a 300w class D power amp and a transformer DI in a small box. My Euphonic Micro is very close to this...but the preamp isn't quite as nice and the DI is a balanced stereo jack. Ever seen a grumpy/confused sound engineer? This feature virtually guarantees you will meet one.[/quote]

Funny you should suggest that design actually - as my idea of a D Class amp is pretty much the same. I'd use the Hartke LH preamp (which is very similar to the Alembic / Trace / Fender / etc etc etc designs) - but I'd run it in to two 500W power amps that can be bridged or run in stereo or parallel mono to cover all eventualities. I'd want the whole lot in a 1u rack case with a stereo DI, true bypass graphic and a bypass-able Thumpinator by SFX (Max). I might also be happy to include a compressor, but it'd have to be a triple band type such as the TC Electronics Nova Dynamics.

Hmm.. maybe a parametric EQ instead..

and a purple LED.

no, three!

Oh wait I've changed my mind..

I want....

A SHWUBBERWEE!!!

[quote name='Finbar' post='1258745' date='Jun 6 2011, 06:48 PM']If you're happy to have a footswitch anyway, you may was well just stick a tuner pedal on the floor by your amp.[/quote]
The problem with that is that in small gigs access to the mute pull on the LMT Master vol can be inaccessible, so a lead out of the tuner out to the tuner is fine EXCEPT you have no way of silent tuning.

With the TE system I had the TE pedal board, tuner feed & mute pedal lead loomed up in a sleeve and it didn't matter how burried behind the keys rig the Trace was I could switch on the tuner and mute the amp between or even during songs for a quick check without a sound

def a vox or a highwatt. 2 channels (clean and dirty), 200-300 watts. 3 band eq on both channels, gain and vol for each channel plus master vol with vintage style toggle switches and knobs. as for cabs a 4x10 and a 2x12!

Edited by stoker

A couple of you mentioned the desire for a foot switch mute whilst also indicating your love of the Markbass amp, get an LMK the channel footswitch doubles as a mute for either channel as well as allows you to hit both buttons to jump from channel A to B. :)

Edited by deepbass5

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1258918' date='Jun 6 2011, 08:51 PM']A couple of you mentioned the desire for a foot switch mute whilst also indicating your love of the Markbass amp, get an LMK the channel footswitch doubles as a mute for either channel as well as allows you to hit both buttons to jump from channel A to B. :)[/quote]

Or just buy a tuner pedal? :)

What about some TecAmp love...?

[attachment=81942:Tecamp_P...00_1HE_1.jpg]

Never heard this design, but I can tell you if it's anything like the Puma 500 I have it's all you'll ever need. 300w and 500w versions available as well.

D.

The simplicity of the Streamliner really appeals to me but I'd like the option to have 2-3 instant channel switch options via a footswitch. I've almost always played in covers bands so having the potential to swap from disco to soul to rock with a simple footswitch really appeals to me without having to think too much, lol

Interestingly the idea of a SansAmp Bass Driver pedal straight into a powered cab would pretty much do this. Not there's a thought. . .

I always really liked the onboard tuner & compressor on the TV heads. I realise you can get this via footpedals but when I'm at home it's really handy not having to get all the pedals out!

[quote name='BassBod' post='1259076' date='Jun 6 2011, 10:33 PM']Actually....now you mention it, a powered Bag End 15" in the naked wood finish and an Alembic preamp. Sod the weight - that would be just about perfect.[/quote]

Love it - what a great little combo that would be!