Why become a member? ×

'71 fender P/J fretless - mojo'd sunburst loveliness

Clarky

I have been so blown away by my recently-acquired ’83 Wal fretless that my beautiful ’71 P/J fretless is now sitting in its case unused and more than likely to remain so. Hence I am putting it up FS. This bass was previously owned by several BC’ers (Beedster, Shaggy, Walbassist and BassBod) and is far from all-original, hence the reasonable price at which it has changed hands and the decent price at which I am prepared to sell.

[attachment=80959:a.JPG]

The history and specs are as follows:

1. Bassbod owned the bass for 20 odd years; whoever had it before him had taken a maple-necked P bass and made it into a fretless bass with ebony board and active electronics. Bassbod returned it to passive - this does mean there is a black backplate on the rear cavity (although its fairly small and the cavity itself is small, just a continuation of part of the existing cavity through to the rear with no sideways enlargement)

2. The neck is original, although it had an unlined ebony fingerboard pro fitted, as well as being narrowed to a jazz-like width at the nut and oil finished on the back. The original finish is still on the front of the headstock, so it retains the vintage vibe. The machine heads are thought to be original

3. The (alder I assume) body features the original 1970s sunburst nitro finish, but has been well worn and has had a clear overspray in places to prevent further deterioration.

4. The pickups are replacements – the P is a Seymour Duncan SPB1 Vintage series, the J is a Lindy Fralin.

5. The bass was rewired with new Fender-correct CTS 250k solid shaft switch pots, a Switchcraft 1/4" jack, black/white cloth wire and a .047mfd Orange Drop tone capacitor in a volume/volume/tone configuration.

6. The scratchplate and most screws are original, the thumb rest is not.

7. I added a vintage ’71 Precision bridge that I bought off SiBob via BassChat [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111226&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111226&hl=[/url]

As Shaggy eloquently put it ”[i]In effect it’s a Tony Franklin model, but the real deal[/i]”. Its currently wearing Rotosound Tru Bass strings for a DB vibe and the neck definitely prefers slightly bigger gauge strings (I previously had La Bella flat 45-105s on it, whereas I found my initial choice - TI Flats - were just too floppy). It sounds wonderful and on a recent recording session the desk guy thought it sounded more DB-like than my DB (which I also recorded)! Will come in a beat up non-original hard case for protection.

I am asking only £850 as I got it from Beedster at a good price (as part of a complex trade) since which time I added the ’71 bridge at a cost of £120. Will post but prefer meet-up as always

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Beedster' post='1245360' date='May 26 2011, 11:09 AM']... that both plays, sounds, and records beautifully ...[/quote]

I appear to have Spanish Inquisitioned again!

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again."

FYI, I have just been PM'd one potential offer with the BC'er concerned coming back to me this evening with a definitive yes/no, depending on the precise weight of the bass (which I think is close to 9 pounds but I need to check with my digital scales when I get home)

Edited by Clarky

Also tempted Clarky but with redundancies on the horizon and a Stingray F'less at home......... :)

Think I'll just have to deliver on my personal promise of replacing some of my basses with a nice 60's/early 70's Jazz for my significant 'birthday' in 2013 (same as yours mate)

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1245600' date='May 26 2011, 02:06 PM']Ooh... hubba hubba!

*stupid question* Any interest in a Bongo 4HH?[/quote]
Thanks but this is a fund raiser, so not really after trades. Straight cash talks!

Here is the rear with cavity plate and a load of mojo!
[attachment=80999:P1040265.JPG]

And another shot of the front:
[attachment=81000:P1040264.JPG]

It weighs 8.91 pounds on my digital scales

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1245386' date='May 26 2011, 11:26 AM']FYI, I have just been PM'd one potential offer with the BC'er concerned coming back to me this evening with a definitive yes/no, depending on the precise weight of the bass (which I think is close to 9 pounds but I need to check with my digital scales when I get home)[/quote]

It's a lightweight even for an early '70's, so hope that deal's on :lol:

Lovely, lovely bass, with tone & playability to die for..... :) Definitely one for a player rather than a collector, but its 2 great virtues are - 1. the mods (ebony board, J p/up, rear neck finish) are actually sensible ones that make it as an instrument waaaay better than stock, and 2. although a '71 it's still very much a late '60's "golden era" Fender - light weight, nitro finish, all parts fit snugly, fabulous neck.

Great price too, especially with the '71 bridge.

Just acquired Beedsters '65 P, otherwise I'd be thinking hard about this...... :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1245952' date='May 26 2011, 05:41 PM']You won't be wanting to trade it for a Tony Franklin then?[/quote]
No offence meant, Dave ... the Tony Franklin I had (now back in the arms of Legion) was an awesome bass too, I chose this one over the Tony as I loved the mojo but it was a close call :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1246099' date='May 26 2011, 07:19 PM']No offence meant, Dave ... the Tony Franklin I had (now back in the arms of Legion) was an awesome bass too, I chose this one over the Tony as I loved the mojo but it was a close call :)[/quote]
I'll keep working on my own mojo for Tony :) Couldn't bear to part with it again - I've taken the very broken in Sadowsky flats off the NYC and put them on Tony and they just sound amazing, very DB like.

I 've played this '71 whilst Chris had it, and again at Clarkys...very nice bass and my YOB to boot. Should be gone in no time...quite hard for me to resist making a move myself actually.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1246099' date='May 26 2011, 07:19 PM']No offence meant, Dave ... the Tony Franklin I had (now back in the arms of Legion) was an awesome bass too, I chose this one over the Tony as I loved the mojo but it was a close call :)[/quote]
No offence taken - good luck with the sale.