Why become a member? ×

Bass player upstages James Corden

Panamonte

Well, not exactly. But having gone to see One Man, Two Guvnors at the National Theatre in London tonight - a play which features both Mr Corden and an onstage band - I was particularly impressed by Richard Coughlan who was playing upright and electric bass. Spot on the money.

Incidentally, his Squier CV P sounded and looked great - very nice for a play set in 1963.

And it was very funny (the play, not his playing).

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1245111' date='May 26 2011, 05:51 AM']James Corden in something funny? I s'pose there's a first time for everything[/quote]
Well he was in the original cast of The History Boys, which was a superb play. The film adaptation which he was also in was great too.

Edited by ZMech

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1245111' date='May 26 2011, 05:51 AM']James Corden in something funny? I s'pose there's a first time for everything[/quote]

Crikey, tough crowd!

Guess I'm the only one who thinks 'Gavin and Stacey' is one of the best British TV comedies ever made?

[quote name='casapete' post='1246799' date='May 27 2011, 10:57 AM']Crikey, tough crowd!

Guess I'm the only one who thinks 'Gavin and Stacey' is one of the best British TV comedies ever made?[/quote]

I won't lie to to you, Gavin and Stacey is tidy.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1246806' date='May 27 2011, 11:02 AM']I won't lie to to you, Gavin and Stacey is tidy.[/quote]
First series was good. Then the suits realised they had a hit and ruined it. The guy (James) has got carried away with it all and believes his own hype. He's an average actor at best.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1306370435' post='1245084']
Well, not exactly. But having gone to see One Man, Two Guvnors at the National Theatre in London tonight - a play which features both Mr Corden and an onstage band - I was particularly impressed by Richard Coughlan who was playing upright and electric bass. Spot on the money.

Incidentally, his Squier CV P sounded and looked great - very nice for a play set in 1963.

And it was very funny (the play, not his playing).
[/quote]

Hi Panamonte,

Thanks very much for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed the play and the music.

Best wishes,

Richard Coughlan
www.richardcoughlan.com

not seen Gavin &stacey. Won't watch it now, can't stand the buffoon. All I know about him,
was when the 2010 football world cup was on , his smug mug was always on the telly.
I switched off when I saw him. Having said that , I should've switched off the 'football'.

Richard seems like a nice bloke tho' :P

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

The awkward moment you realise Richard hasn't got a Squier in his sig....

Oh and Richard a friend of mine saw the play the other day and commented on the bass playing he said something along the lines of "Mate you would have loved it the bass was great" but as I explained to him I have an aversion to JC but that must be a great gig and it sounds as if you are doing a great job.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1329678220' post='1545797']
The awkward moment you realise Richard hasn't got a Squier in his sig....

Oh and Richard a friend of mine saw the play the other day and commented on the bass playing he said something along the lines of "Mate you would have loved it the bass was great" but as I explained to him I have an aversion to JC but that must be a great gig and it sounds as if you are doing a great job.
[/quote]

But he does have Calvin Klein underwear ...................................... Hang on that seems wrong :unsure:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]" very nice for a play set in 1963" - [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]so he should have gone and found an original '63 P bass? [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] :blush:[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1306405768' post='1245389']
Well he was in the original cast of The History Boys, which was a superb play. The film adaptation which he was also in was great too.
[/quote]

Yep! The orginal cast of the stage performace was the film cast :) (Studying the play at school you see!)

His portrayal of Timms is great!

haha! when the play started out at the National it was only due to run for 3 months, so I spent 250quid on this squier p bass to leave at the theatre and get knocked about.... who knew the play was going to be such a success, international tour currently being booked for 2013 and a broadway transfer happening in a few months.

fortunately the squier turned out to be an amazing instrument, maybe I got lucky with this one or maybe they're all this great! either way I have no intention of changing basses on the show!

.......also its fiesta red so I can occasionally pretend that i'm Pino to keep myself amused during the show

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1329689291' post='1546084']
But he does have Calvin Klein underwear ...................................... Hang on that seems wrong :unsure:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]" very nice for a play set in 1963" - [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]so he should have gone and found an original '63 P bass? [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] :blush:[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Edited by richardcoughlan

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1306506223' post='1247205']
First series was good. Then the suits realised they had a hit and ruined it. The guy (James) has got carried away with it all and believes his own hype. He's an average actor at best.
[/quote]
Did you hear him on DiDs?

[quote name='richardcoughlan' timestamp='1329692298' post='1546144']
haha! when the play started out at the National it was only due to run for 3 months, so I spent 250quid on this squier p bass to leave at the theatre and get knocked about.... who knew the play was going to be such a success, international tour currently being booked for 2013 and a broadway transfer happening in a few months.

fortunately the squier turned out to be an amazing instrument, maybe I got lucky with this one or maybe they're all this great! either way I have no intention of changing basses on the show!

.......also its fiesta red so I can occasionally pretend that i'm Pino to keep myself amused during the show
[/quote]

All the one's I've played have been brilliant.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1329677841' post='1545783']
not seen Gavin &stacey. Won't watch it now, can't stand the buffoon. All I know about him,
was when the 2010 football world cup was on , his smug mug was always on the telly.
I switched off when I saw him. Having said that , I should've switched off the 'football'.

Richard seems like a nice bloke tho' :P
[/quote]

Believe it or not his auto-biography had more padding than Katie Price's third one; belly-shots a plenty - and more filler than the Polycell factory.