Why become a member? ×

Touch typing to improve bass playing

Rich44

I'm working on a bit of a theory of mine. Since starting office work I have noticed that whilst I am a fast typer (have typed from an early age), I am still unable to touch type. I am typing using about four fingers maximum.

I've been thinking that the fingers that are not being used often in typing (for me the little and ring finger) must be neglected in terms of muscle memory, and the used fingers are getting overworked and strained. Not to mention the wrist is moving around too much.

I've started to learn to touch type now using freeware, and I'm "hoping" that it will improve my left hand dexterity and strength, particularly the little finger which has always felt comparitavely weak. Apparently it takes a month or two to get touch typing, but even if it only helps slightly at bass it seems a win-win situation as I'll have learned one skill at least.

I learnt to touch type back in the 70's, on an old fashioned proper manual type writer, the sort where you really did need some finger strength.

I don't think the modern keyboards need much in the way of strength to operate. It still worth learning to touch type though, must help with dexterity and also it's just the right way to do it.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1239383' date='May 21 2011, 03:15 PM']I have been able to touch type for years & it's not made any difference in my playing ability that I can see.[/quote]
+1. I was touch typing before I played guitar and thought it would help, made zero difference.

I dunno if it improves dexterity, but I certainly regard it as a vital skill these days. Writing a thesis is bad enough when I can type 90 words a minute, would be even worse if I crawled along at half that (if you want a reference, average handwriting speed is 20-30wpm).

I used a kids programme, 'disney's adventures in typing with Timon and Pumba', it was awesome. Rafiki would teach you, then you'd put it into practise in mini games with timon and pumba.

I wish it did help... I'm touch typing pretty much all day at work. But when I'm playing bass my little finger seems to take on a life of it's own and waves about in the air! It takes an effort of will to bring it back into line :) never get that problem typing.