Why become a member? ×

2x10's with lowwwww frequency response?

chrismuzz

Morning all! Just wondering if there is such thing? My Markbass 104HF is fantastic but it's bloody bulky and I'm considering a space saving option of two vertically stacked 2x10s. I don't want to lose that 35Hz beef though! Preferably front ported, and with a horn! Is there anything at all out there like this? I'd wee with excitement if there was something I could swap my 4x10 for two of!

EDIT: I very much like the Ampeg SVT, Ashdown kinda sound. And with 2x10s being a bit smaller, weight isn't as much of an issue... after all I'm a growing boy! :)

Edited by chrismuzz

Take a look at the Eden Nemesis - link below.

I`m an Ampeg fan, and when seeking out a lightweight 4x10, saw these, spoke to The Bass Merchant, and they advised that the Nemesis is inkeeping with the Ampeg sound. So I bought one, and am very pleased with it. Don`t know about the 2x10s, but the 4x10 has an adjustable, and very smooth tweeter. On it adds a little high end sharness, but no irritating hiss. Off, the cab sounds like a traditional rock sound, warm, but focused. It has that knack of being really present in the mix when playing. The 2x10s freq response is 35hz - 18khz, lower in fact, than the 4x10 - if I`d had the money, two of these would have been my preferred option.

The link, by the way, is a bit wrong, and the written text gives info relating to the 2x10 combo, but the specs relate to the 2x10 cab.

[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=449&category_id=2"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.ph...p;category_id=2[/url]

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1238946' date='May 21 2011, 07:29 AM']....My Markbass 104HF is fantastic but it's bloody bulky and I'm considering a space saving option of two vertically stacked 2x10s....[/quote]
If you want a manageable 410, why don't you get 2 Markbass 102HF cabs? On Thursday we had a support band and the bass player had an LMK and 2 of these cabs. He got a very good sound out of that rig.

I'd check out the dims of the 210's matched the 410 pretty closely...some 210's are not that deep so maybe those 2x210's might not add up to 1x410...

It is a issue I have to consider with my latest 210... add another for a nice easy carry..or go for a 115. Can't decide.
I am never going to use them seperate as I have that angle covered but the 115 is a weighty beast.

Your Markbass 104HF will have the same low frequency response as the 102HF if they're tuned to the same frequency and the 102 has half the internal volume of the 104. And even if there are volume/tuning differences the end result will be relatively similar - and neither will have appreciable output at 35Hz whatever the specs may claim! :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1238957' date='May 21 2011, 07:06 AM']Take a look at the Eden Nemesis - link below.

I`m an Ampeg fan, and when seeking out a lightweight 4x10, saw these, spoke to The Bass Merchant, and they advised that the Nemesis is inkeeping with the Ampeg sound. So I bought one, and am very pleased with it. Don`t know about the 2x10s, but the 4x10 has an adjustable, and very smooth tweeter. On it adds a little high end sharness, but no irritating hiss. Off, the cab sounds like a traditional rock sound, warm, but focused. It has that knack of being really present in the mix when playing. The 2x10s freq response is 35hz - 18khz, lower in fact, than the 4x10 - if I`d had the money, two of these would have been my preferred option.

The link, by the way, is a bit wrong, and the written text gives info relating to the 2x10 combo, but the specs relate to the 2x10 cab.

[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=449&category_id=2"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.ph...p;category_id=2[/url][/quote]

I don't think Eden actually make the Nemesis line anymore - they've been replaced by the Eden E-series, which look more or less the same as the old Nemesis line. I've got no idea if they're any good though. Shame, one of the coolest rigs I ever tried was the Nemesis 2x12" combo with an extension 2x12" cab. And their old 8x10" combo (yes, combo) was a beast. :)

Grab a couple of Alex's Barefaced Compacts. They'll do you just fine. :)

My Warwick WCA211 pro packs quite a bit more beef than I expected. They can be picked up for not a lot of money too :) Handles my active 6 with no probs at all, the 1x15 underneath gives a proper kick in the spine though. It's not a standard 200watt 1153 :)

[quote name='goblin' post='1243752' date='May 25 2011, 01:11 AM']My Warwick WCA211 pro packs quite a bit more beef than I expected. They can be picked up for not a lot of money too :) Handles my active 6 with no probs at all, the 1x15 underneath gives a proper kick in the spine though. It's not a standard 200watt 1153 :)[/quote]

I'll second this - I used one last week at a gig, and I couldn't believe what a great cab it was. Really chuffing loud for a 2x10!

I tried this recently and thought it was a bit of a monster:

[url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/bag-end1/bag-end-pd10bx-d-powered-low-bass-double-10-ax-hi-drive/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/ba...10-ax-hi-drive/[/url]

I used a SansAmp Bass driver deluxe in front of it and had the flexibility of a 100w powered cab with three footswitchable programmable pre-sets from the SansAmp - great fun :)

Edited by molan

Cheers guys, plenty of food for thought here! Tried out a few 2x10s here and there and didn't seem to have a problem blasting out a low A on any of them, even the apparently thin TC Electronic stuff! I guess cutting most of my options out due to 'frequency response' wasnt as smart as I thought :)

I'm really going off the ultra hifi cab thing though, definitely moving more towards the likes of Ampeg, Ashdown, etc. The warm, organic voicing works perfectly with the rest of my setup, band, and playing style. Maybe it's time to say goodbye to the cab I thought would stay with me forever!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1239151' date='May 21 2011, 11:27 AM']Acme Low B2 is exactly that.[/quote]
+1, don't bother putting anything less than 600w into each if you want to hear yourself on stage though. You could look into Barefaced offerings too.

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1238946' date='May 21 2011, 07:29 AM']Morning all! Just wondering if there is such thing? My Markbass 104HF is fantastic but it's bloody bulky and I'm considering a space saving option of two vertically stacked 2x10s. I don't want to lose that 35Hz beef though! Preferably front ported, and with a horn! Is there anything at all out there like this? I'd wee with excitement if there was something I could swap my 4x10 for two of!

EDIT: I very much like the Ampeg SVT, Ashdown kinda sound. And with 2x10s being a bit smaller, weight isn't as much of an issue... after all I'm a growing boy! :)[/quote]

If you can find a Tech Soundsytems ND410s (the company now known as Tec-Amp) then grab one of these cabs as fast as you can! - It's a 4x10 in a cabinet which to be honest isn't much larger than a big 2x10 - but boy can you drive them hard!