Why become a member? ×

If you were wondering why I have been so quiet recently...

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1228528' date='May 12 2011, 10:44 AM']If for one moment we forget that we are chatting via the internet, and instead imagine this exact situation recreated in real life, like if we were all invited to this "big" party, don't you think that a total stranger would think twice before asking someone if they have ocd at the risk of offending the bloke and be rewarded back with a bunch of 5's, or worse?[/quote]
I don't think you understand Basschat.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1228535' date='May 12 2011, 10:51 AM']I don't think you understand Basschat.[/quote]

Exactly.

This is just mad.....a nice thread is started by the OP, sharing pics of his great collection of basses, something the OP chose to share with us, and then someone makes a harmless quip about having a bunch of similar basses and the OP goes off on one??

My suggestion is the the OP doesn't get who or what we do here. We're all friends and strangers rolled into one. We share information, jokes, chat and have sometimes heated discussions because we choose to do so.

If you're going to take offence to a harmless comment like that, then you're in the wrong place, and for me personally, this is a typical example of situations that spoil this forum for us all.

in some parts of the UK comments like the one given here would be made by strangers in the pub... in my experience in others (the south east in my experience) you wouldn't make a comment like that to a stranger

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1228528' date='May 12 2011, 10:44 AM']Of course we all react differently, but maybe 5 out of 10 people would take offense to it as I would, cause I am not one known to show the other cheek.[/quote]

Well don't use an open forum on the internet to post threads like this. Yes, most communication on the net can be easily misunderstood; I could see your OP as anything from a smug comment on how much money you have, a possible symptom of some form of obsessive disorder (and I am qualified to make that observation), or a wonderful expression of a passionate engagement with your art-form. But that's the risk you take posting on this and other forums; and just as you have the right to post, others have the right to comment. In fact, in posting you positively encourage such comment.

Nope, I'm afraid you overreacted, IME a quippe like that would happen in a pub down here in the South East and wouldnt even raise an eyebrow.

In fact you'd best stay well away from pubs in general if you're going to get that irate over something that inoffensive!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1228493' date='May 12 2011, 10:16 AM']There's a glorious irony in you typing this out twice. :)[/quote]

Outshined, come on now.

As we all know, it's [i]four[/i] times or bad things happen :)

I can laugh, having been there. If I were in a pub I'd need to get offended four times; possibly 4 by 4 times, just to square things off.

I suppose you did have four Dingwalls, however, so you may be safe.

Edited by Gust0o

Many years back (thankfully), I had a brush with OCD (well more than a brush - about 7 years worth) before it was well known/in the public domain. IMHO you are never cured from it, just learn to recognise the worse excessess and control it before it controls you.

Bass playing helps a lot - all those repetitive 8th's.

.....and maybe its 'Northern' humour but if someone had amde the OCD quip to me in the pub I'd have had a laugh and then straightened up the beer mats. Lighten up, life's too short.

[quote name='Wil' post='1228574' date='May 12 2011, 11:19 AM']I for one wouldn't hesitate to make a harmless quip like that to a stranger in real life, [b]it's just friendly banter[/b].[/quote]

This ^^^

Edit to say that being married to a northerner helps, friendly banter is 99% of her conversation! (Disclaimer: no general offence meant to northerners in this comment!)

Edited by aldude

I posted a thread "Lightweight = Lightweight souund", and I got slated. I just took it on the chin.
Whatever was written, I love ya basses. I'd have to save for a decade to get those babies. If your playin's as good as ya collection, you're a lot better than me.
How about a close-up of the natural grain on the left, I LIKE HER A LOT.

On the topic of the Collection ...... Awesome !! Beautiful selection of beatiful instruments.... First opened this up and thought .. you lucky bugger!! Wanted to read on and hear how they played, sounded like etc etc etc etc

However!,

The reaction to a mild quip is bizarre in the extreme and suggests you may well be taking life and your position in it way way way too seriously .... Theres a Northern Phrase "Wind your neck in" that springs to mind .....

A close relative of mine has OCD (has noticably suffered with this for several years), however she has been, still is, and will remain the butt of jokes for many a moon to come. She knows she does it, knows she suffers from it and also sees the humour in the absurdity of her behaviour. To take any offence at the previously mentioned low level quip is pretty poor form fellah! Anyhow rant over ..... still slavering over the most important bit of the Post ..... those sexy wonky fretted be-yatches.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1228760' date='May 12 2011, 01:25 PM']Yes!! I have to thank my son for that, very nice and soft mouse mat, I was well chuffed when he gave it to me, I've had it for yonks, gamecubes are extinct now :lol:[/quote]

I've got one too, and the new fancy Wii one :) haha!

I've just got my old Gamecube out, and had a blast! :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1228771' date='May 12 2011, 01:30 PM']Anybody with OCD wouldn't own a Dingwall anyway. Frets have to be absolutely parallel don't you know.[/quote]not just that...from a man who had OCD, you would have to play the same note twice to even out the numbers.. always in groups of two it was for me.. i was a frickin knightmare with odd time..