Why become a member? ×

15 string bass

steve-soar

Yeah, but what a mouse!

I must admit I find the mickey taking out of this fun as to me a fifth string is one too many so these multi-multi string excesses - almost always from the US, the land of excesses, are anathema to me.

However, there are all sorts of musical instruments around the world and its difficult to criticise them. I just wonder that these are still called a 'bass'. Should there be another name (no, not a Pratbass, however apt it might seem)?

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1229265' date='May 12 2011, 08:16 PM']I almost got chased to the hills for saying that Jaco's playing sounded like a bunch of cats fighting over a rubber mouse.

Well it does :)[/quote]

[quote name='Waldo' post='1228957' date='May 12 2011, 03:57 PM']Absolute guff. On a par with this monstrosity:

[/quote]

You couldn't look much more like a bellend if you tried. Charles Bronson sunglasses, playing a comedy bass indoors? If he'd known the touch of a woman he'd put that down and have a word with himself.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1229289' date='May 12 2011, 08:43 PM']You couldn't look much more like a bellend if you tried. Charles Bronson sunglasses, playing a comedy bass indoors? If he'd known the touch of a woman he'd put that down and have a word with himself.[/quote]

:)

I'd just like to say, fot those who see clips of instruments "like these" and say such as "well he i proving X-amount of strings added are pointless"

Do you use every string and every fret when you play stuff?

Yes an extended range instruments allows one to make use of its extended range (yes i did figure that one out by my self! :lol: ) but doesn't mean you have too use it all.

By that logic the "Industry standard" bass should have an E and an A (the A to please the more adventurous) and about 9 frets (I am basing pretty much all of that on the Scorpions song Rock you like a hurricane i won't lie)

How many piano pieces play the 1st and 88th key in one piece? Does that mean they are redundant? Or should we start making instruments based around the exact piece of music we play? <- No, that would be silly. As i feel this post will be regarded despite my poor attempt to of actualling having something to say!

At the risk of sounding too serious, i don't intend too. I love Basschat its one of the best places on teh interwebz and we all voice our opinions, sometimes it ends in banter and a sea of :D smilies or in rage Mods (virtually) pulling people apart and i know that and i'm always trying to get my point across with as little friction as possible.

And yes, it THAT TIME. I have exams, i fudded up my first one something fierce and that'll haunt me, [b]AND[/b] i just dropped my last Custard Cream down the back of the sofa :) :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1229336' date='May 12 2011, 09:32 PM'][b]AND[/b] i just dropped my last Custard Cream down the back of the sofa :) :)[/quote]

You mean you choose to eat Custard Creams before they've gone fuzzy? Some student you are :lol:

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1229389' date='May 12 2011, 10:12 PM']I have a scholership for a private education! I must maintain high standards :)

(P.s i ate it anyway :) )[/quote]

Haha, quality. I hope it's cheered you up a bit!

Well my mum plays an upright with 230 strings, and she's nearly 82.

Ok, it's a piano.

That thing sounds crap though. Give me a bit of Jack Bruce on an EB3 through a Marshall stack any day - far more musical than that guff.

[quote name='dood' post='1229470' date='May 12 2011, 11:29 PM']I...I..

Nope, I actually can't bring myself to post any response.[/quote]
Mustang Sally sounded really good when I played it on the Doodlebug.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1229480' date='May 12 2011, 11:34 PM']Seriously who is that? He must 'win' some kind of award for that pic.[/quote]

If you absolutely had to gig one of them, what would you choose - that or your avatar bass?

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1229480' date='May 12 2011, 11:34 PM']Seriously who is that? He must 'win' some kind of award for that pic.[/quote]
[url="http://www.lordonly.net/lojtbas3.htm"]Lord Only[/url] - John Turner. Having listened to a few minutes only, ISTR I wasn't very impressed - I can't play any stuff off their website now (IE or FF, so I think it's their website that's knackered). The bass is by Conklin.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1229485' date='May 12 2011, 11:41 PM']If you absolutely had to gig one of them, what would you choose - that or your avatar bass?[/quote]

Reminds me:

A teacher is taking a class and is asking about hobbies ;What hobbies does your dad have?'
Jimmy says 'My dad drives to public toilets waits for other men to come in then offers sexual favours in exchange for small change'
The Teacher says 'Really?'
Jimmy says 'No, he plays an extended range bass but I was too embarrassed to say'

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1229598' date='May 13 2011, 07:41 AM']I wanna see the two main basses from this most awesome thread combined: A double-neck with 15 strings on each neck. The bass would start at your chin and end at your shin.[/quote]

Wrong way round!

A 15 x neck bass with 7 string on each neck. Each in a different tuning!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1229289' date='May 12 2011, 08:43 PM']You couldn't look much more like a bellend if you tried. Charles Bronson sunglasses, playing a comedy bass indoors?[/quote]

Oh I dunno...