Why become a member? ×

15 string bass

steve-soar

[quote name='tauzero' post='1229494' date='May 12 2011, 11:46 PM'][url="http://www.lordonly.net/lojtbas3.htm"]Lord Only[/url] - John Turner.[/quote]
Had a look through that page. Sweet baby Jesus...
[quote name='Someone who clearly has back problems']The body itself is chambered, to decrease the weight down to about 25 lbs.[/quote]
:)

[quote name='tauzero' post='1229494' date='May 12 2011, 11:46 PM'][url="http://www.lordonly.net/lojtbas3.htm"]Lord Only[/url] - John Turner. Having listened to a few minutes only, ISTR I wasn't very impressed - I can't play any stuff off their website now (IE or FF, so I think it's their website that's knackered). The bass is by Conklin.[/quote]

Yes, the website does look kaput. I did listen to the band years ago through some Talkbass posts and they were dreadful. Mind you, the pretentious, Dream Theater wannabe slop they were playing is probably the most appropriate place for an instrument as tragically comic and pretentious as a 7 string double neck!

I should state that I think 7 strings are pretty cool, but in this instance they look incredibly naff.

Ok, I'll bite! - sure have an opinion about how a Bass isn't to your liking but seriously, ripping a guy you don't even know just because of the Bass he plays or the music he's in to is a major low ball. All the chats and comms I've had with John Turner have been helpful and informative. He helped me select and import a Bass once too - which he didn't have to do..

Not shouting or ranting, just would like to add a bit of perspective to the thread. Sometimes I am amazed at the closed mindedness of some!! - I've long hair, a goatee and long hair..oh dear, I play more than one ERB and like Dream Theater. WTF does that make me?

As an observation, it was interesting to see that my Harpejji thread got lots of love - but as soon as a Bass comes along that *doesn't* have as many strings, it's deemed a freak of nature. I wonder if people's perception of what a Bass should be is creeping in to the equation just a bit here?

[quote name='dood' post='1229908' date='May 13 2011, 01:49 PM']Ok, I'll bite! - sure have an opinion about how a Bass isn't to your liking but seriously, ripping a guy you don't even know just because of the Bass he plays or the music he's in to is a major low ball. All the chats and comms I've had with John Turner have been helpful and informative. He helped me select and import a Bass once too - which he didn't have to do..

Not shouting or ranting, just would like to add a bit of perspective to the thread. Sometimes I am amazed at the closed mindedness of some!! - I've long hair, a goatee and long hair..oh dear, I play more than one ERB and like Dream Theater. WTF does that make me?[/quote]

Yeah, but you're one of [b]us[/b] ;-)

[quote name='dood' post='1229908' date='May 13 2011, 01:49 PM']I wonder if people's perception of what a Bass should be is creeping in to the equation just a bit here?[/quote]

Of course it is! A bass like the ones pictured in this thread will always give rise to comments of this type. Some people feel threatened by ERBs, others feel a strange sense of superiority (the "[i]well, four strings were always enough for ______* so they're enough for me[/i]" argument).

(* insert name of chosen legendary bass player here. Hints: Lemmy, Macca, Jamerson, Stanley, Marcus, Cliff, Larry, Louis, Geddy, Entwistle, Sheehan, Deacon, Harris...)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='1229962' date='May 13 2011, 02:31 PM']Of course it is! A bass like the ones pictured in this thread will always give rise to comments of this type.[/quote]

And let's face it, people who buy basses with lots of strings do it mostly for the attention. They must love threads like this.

[quote name='bremen' post='1229918' date='May 13 2011, 01:57 PM']Yeah, but you're one of [b]us[/b] ;-)[/quote]

I'm clicking the imaginary 'like' button right now. Very true, I am a BC lifer - always have been, always will be. Cheers Bremen! :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1229984' date='May 13 2011, 02:45 PM']And let's face it, there is a very small minority of people who buy basses with lots of strings that do it mostly for the attention. They must love threads like this.[/quote]

Fixed it for you.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1229965' date='May 13 2011, 02:33 PM']Oh, I missed that one. I desperately want a Harpejji! :)[/quote]

Just for you mate:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=134706&hl=harpejji"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=harpejji[/url]

[quote name='dood' post='1230040' date='May 13 2011, 03:25 PM']Just for you mate:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=134706&hl=harpejji"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=harpejji[/url][/quote]
AAAAARRRRGHH! I [b]desperately[/b] want a Harpejji!

Time to start saving...

[quote name='dood' post='1229908' date='May 13 2011, 01:49 PM']As an observation, it was interesting to see that my Harpejji thread got lots of love - but as soon as a Bass comes along that *doesn't* have as many strings, it's deemed a freak of nature. I wonder if people's perception of what a Bass should be is creeping in to the equation just a bit here?[/quote]
Well, a Harpejji strapped to your front would look far more ridiculous.

[quote name='dood' post='1229908' date='May 13 2011, 01:49 PM']Ok, I'll bite! - sure have an opinion about how a Bass isn't to your liking but seriously, ripping a guy you don't even know just because of the Bass he plays or the music he's in to is a major low ball. All the chats and comms I've had with John Turner have been helpful and informative. He helped me select and import a Bass once too - which he didn't have to do..

Not shouting or ranting, just would like to add a bit of perspective to the thread. Sometimes I am amazed at the closed mindedness of some!! - I've long hair, a goatee and long hair..oh dear, I play more than one ERB and like Dream Theater. WTF does that make me?

As an observation, it was interesting to see that my Harpejji thread got lots of love - but as soon as a Bass comes along that *doesn't* have as many strings, it's deemed a freak of nature. I wonder if people's perception of what a Bass should be is creeping in to the equation just a bit here?[/quote]

There is a limit and when you choose to look like this:

You must realise what's going to happen, even if it had 4 strings on each neck he's still look a bit of a twonk.

[quote name='dood' post='1229908' date='May 13 2011, 05:49 AM']Ok, I'll bite! - sure have an opinion about how a Bass isn't to your liking but seriously, ripping a guy you don't even know just because of the Bass he plays or the music he's in to is a major low ball. All the chats and comms I've had with John Turner have been helpful and informative.[/quote]
I've met him, he's a douche.

I'll chip in here.

I have had one dealing with Jauquo and he was not a cock at all; his mate was selling an Ibanez SR1206 and he put us in contact with each other and now I have the 6-string version of my beloved 5-string bass.

On the subject of the basses, though...I can appreciate that some people might enjoy the 15-string bass, but it looks unwieldy to me. Even Jauquo is having a hard time playing it in that video (or is it just me?). On the other hand, the twin-neck looks more practical - I can see that if you play 7-string that you might like one fretted and one fretless, so it makes sense to have both options on the same instrument. I would not say that having one makes you a plonker. Aesthetically, though, I find it an affront to good taste.

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the kind words guys. And for the record the clip of me playing the 15 string bass was the very first time I had ever played it and it wasen't set up to my specs.

And for those who seem to have an issue with me. With all due respect have you ever had an actual conversation with me? Have you met me face to face?

No you have not.

People on forums come up with reasons to dislike a person whom they have never ever met in person before.

Here's a clip of me with my original 15 string bass (from the 90's).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6O0Lgyn6aE