Why become a member? ×

15 string bass

steve-soar

Bear in mind that the same guy (Jauquo III-X) also uses a 4 string tuned C#,F#,B,E-the highest string
being the low E on a regular 4 string.
He has got a pretty cool thumb and pick technique though.

The bass behind him looks to have more strings, and unpaired... Idk. His technique is pretty decent, but I'm not a fan of his application of said technique.

He does come across as a bit of a tool on talkbass though, I'll agree.

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1228054' date='May 11 2011, 09:09 PM']I've just had a nose around on TB, and it looks like every person who dislikes his playing has their comments deleted by a mod. Fannies.[/quote]

Sounds like the EB website.

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1228054' date='May 11 2011, 09:09 PM']I've just had a nose around on TB, and it looks like every person who dislikes his playing has their comments deleted by a mod. Fannies.[/quote]

This is how I got banned from TB

[quote name='Doddy' post='1228065' date='May 11 2011, 09:15 PM']He's actually a member on here too.......[/quote]

Of course he is, he usually pops up with the fanboys whenever there is even a hint of criticism. The guy must sit at home googling himself all day :)

I can see it now!

Protium

While I appreciate your technical ability, and what you are putting across with your music, it's not really my cup of tea sorry! :) Don't stop doing what you love though you're clearly a talented artist!

*BANNNNNN*

oh you naughty boy!

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1228070' date='May 11 2011, 09:17 PM']I can see it now!

Protium

While I appreciate your technical ability, and what you are putting across with your music, it's not really my cup of tea sorry! :) Don't stop doing what you love though you're clearly a talented artist!

*BANNNNNN*

oh you naughty boy![/quote]

It was a while ago, is that what I actually wrote? :) Man, you can get banned easy on there haha

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1228044' date='May 11 2011, 09:03 PM']+1[/quote]

+2. I might be dreaming but from my brief time on Talkbass I seem to remember him being a relation to Jaco Pastorius? I usually try to find something good to say with all kinds of bass playing but I really am struggling here. It sounds like total garbage.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1227973' date='May 11 2011, 08:15 PM']Nah. He's on Talkbass a lot and he comes across as a MASSIVE bell end.[/quote]

ah, I thought I was the only one who thought that...

also I haven't seen him play anything remotely interesting for me :) bu he has the technique for sure (I wish I had his ability... I'd just use it differently...)

The bass behind is this one!

12 string headless bass!

Saw this a while back, its a 5 string with doubled strings, only other one i know is the fieldy custom shop "K15" (submarine vibe anyone? haha!)

Also, may i add (as i've had about 9 huge arguments about this with people todau) that music is an art and is entirely expressive. If someone feels all they need is a 4 string bass (Something nice and simple like the glorious fender P!) to express them selves then fantatastic! If someone feels they need a 12 string (single course) string bass too express them selves then why should be make comments? Same applies for any instrument!

I know 95% of the stuff on here is ligth hearted banter and i am aware of that and respect that and its why this is a great forum (we are pretty much all on the same page!)

Some times it feels like that fact is lost, (the music expression thing, not the 12 string headless bass thing! :) )

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1228330' date='May 12 2011, 01:36 AM']Also, may i add (as i've had about 9 huge arguments about this with people todau) that music is an art and is entirely expressive. If someone feels all they need is a 4 string bass (Something nice and simple like the glorious fender P!) to express them selves then fantatastic! If someone feels they need a 12 string (single course) string bass too express them selves then why should be make comments? Same applies for any instrument!

I know 95% of the stuff on here is ligth hearted banter and i am aware of that and respect that and its why this is a great forum (we are pretty much all on the same page!)

Some times it feels like that fact is lost, (the music expression thing, not the 12 string headless bass thing! :) )[/quote]
I agree with what you're saying totally.

BUT - There appears to be a percentage of players who want desperately to be noticed as players but, whilst being technically proficient, have nothing exceptional or different to offer. These players seem to be the ones who go down the route of having basses built with increasingly ludicrous amounts of strings, mainly so they can achieve a fleeting fame by being the only/best player with a XXX string bass.

I could get a luthier to build me a 30 string bass, then post myself on Youtube as the baddest 30 string bassist in the World, and it would attract attention, but the attention would be of the same sort as this guy is getting, and for very good reason IMO.

I'm all for art, but I don't think this is about art - it's about ego.

[b]"In the land of the 15 string bass player, the 16 string bass player is king"[/b]

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' post='1228562' date='May 12 2011, 11:10 AM']I agree with what you're saying totally.

BUT - There appears to be a percentage of players who want desperately to be noticed as players but, whilst being technically proficient, have nothing exceptional or different to offer. These players seem to be the ones who go down the route of having basses built with increasingly ludicrous amounts of strings, mainly so they can acheive a fleeting fame by being the only/best player with a XXX string bass.

I could get a luthier to build me a 30 string bass, then post myself on Youtube as the baddest 30 string bassist in the World, and it would attract attention, but the attention would be of the same sort a this guy is getting, and for very good reason IMO.

I'm all for art, but I don't think this is about art - it's about ego.

[b]"In the land of the 15 string bass player, the 16 string bass player is king"[/b][/quote]

Well said mate!

It is true many people use a 7 or 5587 string bass or how ever many just because their kind of music has some label attatched where you [i]should[/i] play an ERB when you make no use of it at all!

And hope having the extra strings makes them seem more impressive