Why become a member? ×

Old Barefaced News - see our website for the latest news!

alexclaber

Hey Adee,

well, I was wishin' I was a bit nearer!! I'm the other side of Peterborough, just about as far as you can get before ya toes get wet!

Would love to give 'The Big One' a go though! Mainly to see A. how it compares to my 6x10 and B. if I miss the tweeter, with Alex's design.

[quote name='dood' post='408757' date='Feb 13 2009, 04:21 PM']Hey Adee,

well, I was wishin' I was a bit nearer!! I'm the other side of Peterborough, just about as far as you can get before ya toes get wet!

Would love to give 'The Big One' a go though! Mainly to see A. how it compares to my 6x10 and B. if I miss the tweeter, with Alex's design.[/quote]

Hey Dood, Maybe we can sort something out, I'm deserate to have a try, depends if you fancy a drive out to collect it. Could be worth while ! Cheers Ade

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='409137' date='Feb 13 2009, 11:05 PM']After you've been gigging for a few years you probably can't hear above 5kHz anyway![/quote]

29 years gigging experience and my hearing is well above average for my age (tested last year), earplugs can and do save hearing loss. Look after your ears, you only get one pair... well at least at the minute you do! ;)

[quote name='Hamster' post='409784' date='Feb 14 2009, 10:40 PM']....Alex's and Bill Fitzmaurice's designs really show how mainstream cabs are poorly designed....[/quote]
These guys may design good cabs, and I'd be interested to hear a Bareface cab, but [i]my[/i] cabs sound great so I disagree with your sweeping generalisation!!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='johnnylager' post='409683' date='Feb 14 2009, 08:22 PM']Okay, used the Big One & LH-1000 in anger last night & I can safely say that it is the best bass sound I've ever had, better even then the Peavey Mark IV & Sunn 2x15 I had 20 years ago ;) . Everything was there in spades - bass, middle, treble and VOLUME.

I had to roll off a bit of bass to stop the stage vibrating too much, but me sound cut through 2 guits & the drums like a very hot knife through some very soft butter. For the first time in Lord knows how long, the drummist was unable to complain about playing the fastest songs because he couldn't hear the bass. Hehe.

I also couldn't believe how light the cab is - far lighter than the LH-1000 and fits perfectly in the boot of a Focus with room for the amp & rackbag. The one downside is the sensitivity of the cab when paired with such a powerful amp - I bridged it [so 750w into 8 ohms] and struggled to get it above 1 and a bit with PA support. Next time, I might just use one side of the dual-parallel amps [225w into 8 ohms].

It will go louder than I can stand and was shaking too many things loose to get above 5 for long, suffice to say, one would never be short of volume with one of these. Unless the PA broke at Wembley.

Recommended. And for all you 4 ohm purists out there - 8 is probably fine.[/quote]

Thanks for the review.

I've put my name down for one of Alex's cabs so I'm looking forward to receiving it with great anticipation.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='409683' date='Feb 14 2009, 08:22 PM']Okay, used the Big One & LH-1000 in anger last night & I can safely say that it is the best bass sound I've ever had, better even then the Peavey Mark IV & Sunn 2x15 I had 20 years ago :P . Everything was there in spades - bass, middle, treble and VOLUME.

..snip...[/quote]
Awesome review John. Honestly think that with the new crossover this cab will be hard to beat by anyone. Wikkid cabs ;)

[quote name='chris_b' post='409857' date='Feb 15 2009, 02:21 AM']These guys may design good cabs, and I'd be interested to hear a Bareface[b]d[/b] cab, but [i]my[/i] cabs sound great so I disagree with your sweeping generalisation!![/quote]

I wouldn't classify Bergantino or Acme as mainstream, they're both definitely a cut above!

Glad the cab worked so well in the real world, I look forward to gigging it myself! Just put together the new crossover for it, looking rather fancy. Just to make 100% that I'm not going to get any warranty claims I shall be bridging my PLX 3002 into it for a real 2000W max output - if it can handle this amp at full power then it can handle anything!

By the way, strange fact: it's actually a 6 ohm nominal impedance, not 8 ohm, due to the crossover design. Very easy load to drive though, nice phase angles etc.

Alex

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='363662' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:27 PM']I'd like to see the Compact vs the Trace Elliot 1153 and Orange OBC-115![/quote]

Just found out that the Orange uses the Eminence Delta-15A:

[url="http://www.eminence.com/pdf/delta-15a.pdf"]http://www.eminence.com/pdf/delta-15a.pdf[/url]

So with the EQ set the same the Orange will be brighter than the Compact. However the Compact is 3dB more sensitive throughout the midrange so only needs half as much power to play as loud yet will handle almost five times as much power in the lows. End result is that the Compact can literally play twice as loud (10dB louder) than the Orange, or even louder than a pair of Oranges. You should be able to easily EQ that extra upper midrange and treble into the Compact but one thing you won't be able to EQ in is the added growl/distortion you'll get from the Orange at higher SPL due to the lower excursion and sensitivity - the Compact will have to be pushed to much higher SPL to get that kind of break-up.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='410333' date='Feb 15 2009, 07:28 PM']Glad the cab worked so well in the real world, I look forward to gigging it myself! Just put together the new crossover for it, looking rather fancy. Just to make 100% that I'm not going to get any warranty claims I shall be bridging my PLX 3002 into it for a real 2000W max output - if it can handle this amp at full power then it can handle anything![/quote]
This will eliminate the need for them northerers to have a go - they will hear it from Brighton.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='410333' date='Feb 15 2009, 07:28 PM']By the way, strange fact: it's actually a 6 ohm nominal impedance, not 8 ohm, due to the crossover design. Very easy load to drive though, nice phase angles etc.

Alex[/quote]
Ah, that's why it hurt.

[quote name='Adee' post='408819' date='Feb 13 2009, 05:10 PM']Hey Dood, Maybe we can sort something out, I'm deserate to have a try, depends if you fancy a drive out to collect it. Could be worth while ! Cheers Ade[/quote]

Yep, I'll keep that in mind. Living up here is just a total pain in the ass for getting out of the county to see people. But yeah, if the cab comes my way I'd like to hear it.

[quote name='Merton' post='409042' date='Feb 13 2009, 09:02 PM']You won't ;)[/quote]

I'm fussy. I like to hear the zing of new strings and the tails of reverbs.

[quote name='Finbar' post='409086' date='Feb 13 2009, 09:54 PM']Tweeters are for wimps.[/quote]

and for crazy people with too many strings ;o)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='409137' date='Feb 13 2009, 11:05 PM']After you've been gigging for a few years you probably can't hear above 5kHz anyway![/quote]

what?

[quote name='dood' post='413105' date='Feb 18 2009, 02:43 PM']I'm fussy. I like to hear the zing of new strings and the tails of reverbs. ...and for crazy people with too many strings ;o)[/quote]

You do get a lot of zing with this midrange driver. However, I have acquired a suitable tweeter and once I've measured the response of the cab with the new crossover I'll design a crossover to integrate that tweeter yet still allow you to switch it off if so desired (I can see a pair of 3-way Big Ones making an awesome small PA system).

Alex

On another subject having used the Big One last night and it being so damn loud, I'm not convinced that there is any reason to sell the Big Twin (2x12"+6.5") for any reason other than marketing (i.e. those that are convinced a 2x12" is better than a 1x15"). Likewise I'm not sure the Midget Twin is worth having as the Compact is so loud. Maybe, maybe not. We shall see!

Alex

[quote name='Merton' post='413606' date='Feb 18 2009, 08:45 PM']But in a band situation I can imagine the big One being the daddy ;)[/quote]
Alex postulated the idea of 2 running together the other night - I've only just finished cleaning myself up.

EDIT: In a good way and a bad way!

Edited by johnnylager

when I have pennies (and finally get a gig again) I would love one (or two) of your cabs. What would you recommend coupling with my Fafner for rock, punk and metal.
I dont have a car so I think the big one 'd be out as I am likely to be using spare space in band mates cars or a taxi.
Would a compact or a big baby be a good place to start with the possibility of adding a second compact or a big baby sub if I decide I am a little insane?

[quote name='Merton' post='413606' date='Feb 18 2009, 08:45 PM']I want to try the Big Deep One. That may suit my tonal tastes better than the Big One. But in a band situation I can imagine the big One being the daddy ;)[/quote]

The 3015LF sounds nice on its own but get it into a band situation and the lack of upper midrange really pins you into a dub corner.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='413612' date='Feb 18 2009, 08:49 PM']Alex postulated the idea of 2 running together the other night - I've only just finished cleaning myself up.[/quote]

Having now used the Big One in anger I now realise that a pair of them would be beyond stupid! "Roll up, roll up, get your perforated ear drums here!"

[quote name='d-basser' post='413643' date='Feb 18 2009, 09:40 PM']when I have pennies (and finally get a gig again) I would love one (or two) of your cabs. What would you recommend coupling with my Fafner for rock, punk and metal.
I dont have a car so I think the big one 'd be out as I am likely to be using spare space in band mates cars or a taxi.
Would a compact or a big baby be a good place to start with the possibility of adding a second compact or a big baby sub if I decide I am a little insane?[/quote]

I think for many bass players the Compact is the cab to go for, especially if you don't have a car. I do think that the Big One is well worth the extra money, the near flat frequency response, amazing off-axis output and the incredible maximum SPL gives such an effortlessly huge, punchy and clear sound however tough the acoustics are and how dense the band mix is. Be interesting to see how portable it feels once I've added wheels and another handle. It isn't as big as the name would suggest but the Compact does feel really small when you'r ecarrying it in one hand (looks big on stage though!)

Right now I don't know how loud the Big Baby will seem in reality - the sensitivity is lower than that of the other two cabs but if it exceeds my expectations like the Big One did then it may be the prime choice for many players. We shall see!

Alex

Did I mention that I'm working a really nice compact PA system? 1x12"+horn tops using the 3012HO and a big horn with very powerful compression driver and steep low frequency crossover to give good off-axis response, and then use the Big Sub singly or in multiples for the bottom. Use one of those new-ish Xti amps or similar with built in DSP filters and you'd have a fantastic sounding and seriously loud system for not too much money.

Alex