Why become a member? ×

Old Barefaced News - see our website for the latest news!

alexclaber

Been pondering on this at length and I think I'm going to go with the logo with 'barefaced' in full with "designed and made in England" spaced out underneath in caps. I don't want to obfuscate the brand by making it a set of initials as well as the name - as it stands if you google barefaced plus anything bass cab related the site tends to turn up fairly reliably. Also I'm looking to get a whole load of 'magic tilty things' (tm) which due to their shape will better suit the longer thinner logo. And bear in mind the logo has to look good on both the standard and vintage look cabs, so I think the full word is as modern looking as is wise.

Alex

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='397562' date='Feb 2 2009, 09:36 AM']Isn't your bass longer than standard scale? Makes your cab look even smaller than it is.[/quote]

It is indeed, 36" scale. Huge tone! However because the bridge is placed so far rearwards its total length is no greater than that of my Warwick Streamer. Probably actually slightly smaller than a Precision though I don't have one to compare.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='397565' date='Feb 2 2009, 09:42 AM']Like it mate - the logo, the site & me upcoming gig with the Big 'Un! You snowed in?[/quote]

Good stuff! Yes, I am - live on top of a hill so the only car I've seen move this morning was a Freelander - that'll teach them for driving a 4x4, no excuse for not turning up at work when it snows! ;) Technically I work from home most of the time but as my region is Kent and Sussex I can't see cold-calling being a terribly fruitful affair...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='397679' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:16 AM']Yes indeed, all except the Vintage do.[/quote]

So what happens to the Vintage on its side? Does it start seeping a puddle of pure bass onto the floor, like a badly sealed milk carton?

No, seriously, what happens? I ask (purely out of interest -- I don't want to put it on its side!) because I'm the first on the Vintage waiting list...

Owain

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='397784' date='Feb 2 2009, 12:51 PM']So what happens to the Vintage on its side? Does it start seeping a puddle of pure bass onto the floor, like a badly sealed milk carton?[/quote]

Yes, that's it, the Vintage is so full of funk that it spills out when tipped over!

What it really is is that the midrange dispersion of a loudspeaker array is inversely proportional to the size in that direction. So a short wide array of speakers would have broad vertical dispersion and narrow horizontal dispersion whilst a tall narrow array of speakers will have a narrow vertical dispersion and a broad horizontal dispersion. Clearly in the vast majority of situations you want to minimise sound heading towards and thus bouncing off the floor and ceiling whilst maximising sound heading out sideways towards bandmates and audience members.

In the Big Series cabs all the more directional midrange content comes from the single midrange driver and because there is a steep crossover between it and the woofer the dispersion remains near as dammit identical with the cab vertical or on its side. Obviously I wouldn't recommend putting the cab on its side unless you're also raising it higher off the ground as your ears are likely to be quite a lot higher up and the more on-axis they are, the better, so if stacking a Big Baby and Baby Sub you might put them on their sides to be less imposingly tall. In the Compact and the Midget there is only one speaker so dispersion is effectively the same regardless of orientation. As before though you're generally best off with a single cab vertical to get the speaker further from the floor. I can imagine someone stacking a pair of Compacts is likely to put them on their sides. In the Midget Twin the second woofer is only producing less directional lower midrange and lows so dispersion should only be marginally affected by turning it on its side. However in the Vintage both woofers are running in unison so putting it on its side effectively halves the horizontal dispersion.

This is why you're pretty unlikely to see me make a conventional 4x10" - the side by side drivers cause really poor off-axis response unless you take the Acme approach and cross over to a separate midrange speaker.

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' post='393653' date='Jan 28 2009, 01:33 PM']Seeing as that's where I grew up I can't neglect you people! Hopefully if we have a UK Bass Bash it'll be in Northants again, in which case I'll be there.

If you send it back in one piece then you can enjoy a Barefaced cab for a week or so for the cost of return postage (about £20). Cheaper than renting one?Alex[/quote]

Is there anyone in Northampton / Kettering / Corby area who also wants to try one of Alex's cab's?
We can then hopefully get our hands on one for a couple of weeks between us, as I need to give it a couple of gigs or at very least a practice to make up my mind.
Might as well take advantage of trying one is you can !

Alex - It will be sent back in the same condition as received, don't worry !
Now just to decide which one, what is available to test?
I currently us a MarkBass 410HF (front ported 4x10) and need punch, projection and
play in a 4 piece covers band playing Stones to Stereophonice, Van Morrison to Oasis etc
What would you suggest?

Cheers
Ade

Ade, am just sorting out increased production because right now the waiting time is getting longer and longer and longer... So once that's sorted you can give one a whirl - if you're willing to take responsibility for it then I'm quite happy to extend the trial period if you'd like to pass it round players in your area - I seriously doubt it'll end up coming back anyway, the combination of tone, loudness, fatness and lightness is quite intoxicating. Then if you don't want it but someone else does then they can pay you directly and we'll make them officially the original owner, or if you want to keep it but so do others then I'll get additional models sent directly to them.

The cab I strongly recommend to most players is the Compact. If you're willing to spend more and accept moving a larger heavier cab then the Big One is better in every way but it seems most players are willing to compromise a little on tone for a cheaper smaller solution (which still has better tone than anything else they've ever used!)

Have also started work on a modular PA system for DJs and bands. Should be righteously fat and loud and will continue the theme of hilarious lightness.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='406900' date='Feb 11 2009, 08:11 PM']...Have also started work on a modular PA system for DJs and bands. Should be righteously fat and loud and will continue the theme of hilarious lightness.

Alex[/quote]
Blimey, you don't sit around do you?! And I think you should use "hilarious lightness" in the blurb...

Barefaced cabs are... the new comedy

[quote name='johnnylager' post='407293' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:52 AM']In 36 hours time, I will be giving the Big One a kW of canage. With earplugs in. I really can't wait.[/quote]

I first read that as 'carnage'!

Components for my new crossover design have finally arrived so I shall start assembling that shortly.

Alex

[quote name='johnnylager' post='407293' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:52 AM']In 36 hours time, I will be giving the Big One a kW of canage. With earplugs in. I really can't wait.[/quote]

. . . . I think we all look forward to you review

Right who lives in the Northampton - Leicester - Peterborough triangle who would like to try one of these cabs? I live in Corby Nr Northampton

Anyone ?

. . . . Anyone ?

Dust ?

Anyone ?

Edited by Adee