Why become a member? ×

Old Barefaced News - see our website for the latest news!

alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' post='413885' date='Feb 19 2009, 08:24 AM']Did I mention that I'm working a really nice compact PA system? 1x12"+horn tops using the 3012HO and a big horn with very powerful compression driver and steep low frequency crossover to give good off-axis response, and then use the Big Sub singly or in multiples for the bottom. Use one of those new-ish Xti amps or similar with built in DSP filters and you'd have a fantastic sounding and seriously loud system for not too much money.

Alex[/quote]

Had you considered making them active?

Built-in crossover>class D power amps = idiot proof

[quote name='Adee' post='414187' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:08 PM']I'd keep your product range as small and simple as possible.[/quote]

I'm with you on that, hence thinking about removing the 2x12"s from the selection. But the PA gear opens up a whole other market sector and although there's some very nice stuff out there there isn't much that combines a reasonable price with high output, good response and low weight.

[quote name='Adee' post='414187' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:08 PM']Realistically what is the waiting time for a cab at the moment?[/quote]

Should be getting a batch completed mid-March which will catch up with the waiting list and leave a few spare.

Alex

[quote name='bremen' post='414207' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:16 PM']Had you considered making them active? Built-in crossover>class D power amps = idiot proof[/quote]

I have but that ups the cost significantly. I do intend to put some cunning protection on the horn to stop that getting blown up whilst the 12" should be so damn loud that it'll be tough to break. Going active is definitely something for the future with all the models.

Alex

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='414233' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:30 PM']Compacts? Big Ones?[/quote]

I've already tapped Alex to see if he had anything spare that could find its way to the NE bash but the poor guy is absolutely run off his feet... now if you were to BUY one in time for the bash! ;)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='414345' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:12 PM']Is the Vintage still coming though?[/quote]

It'll be far too much fun with valve amps to not make it available! However, for those with less old school leanings I think I'll recommend saving some weight and size and going for the Big One, it is just so damn loud and punchy and clear wherever you stand on stage. The support band on Tuesday's gig were an interesting kind of punky twist on Tool, v stop-start, odd changes etc; quite cool stuff. The bassist was playing a P-bass with a pick and it sounded so damned angry through the Big One, really gnarly and aggressive but tons of bottom too.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='414358' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:26 PM']It'll be far too much fun with valve amps to not make it available! However, for those with less old school leanings I think I'll recommend saving some weight and size and going for the Big One, it is just so damn loud and punchy and clear wherever you stand on stage. The support band on Tuesday's gig were an interesting kind of punky twist on Tool, v stop-start, odd changes etc; quite cool stuff. The bassist was playing a P-bass with a pick and it sounded so damned angry through the Big One, really gnarly and aggressive but tons of bottom too.

Alex[/quote]

You're talking me into trying a 15" again dude!
I'm using my Aguilar GS112 with the tweeter off at the moment, and I'm not really missing it, which means I'm only using the 12" because it's light, but your "Big One", pardon my french, is lighter!
I don't 'spose any BareFaced cabs are making it up to the Scotland/North England Bass Bash are they?...

Eude

[quote name='alexclaber' post='414358' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:26 PM'][quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='414345' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:12 PM']
Is the Vintage still coming though?[/quote]
It'll be far too much fun with valve amps to not make it available!
[/quote]
Aaaargghhh! Gutted I can't make it over to the bash, and I'm only 30 miles away. Is it actually going to be ready for 1st March? ;)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='414382' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:37 PM']It'll be far too much fun with valve amps to not make it available!

Aaaargghhh! Gutted I can't make it over to the bash, and I'm only 30 miles away. Is it actually going to be ready for 1st March? ;)[/quote]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='414405' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:49 PM']No, it's coming as in going to stay part of the line-up, whilst I think I might completely drop the 2x12" cabs - why use two twelves when you can use one fifteen and save weight and cost? It isn't going to be at the NE Bass Bash though!

Alex[/quote]

Sorry if I caused any confusion there Alex. :)

To clarify; I did ask Alex if there might have been a cab or two available for attendees of the NE bash to try but Alex is trying his best to complete orders for people asap so it would be unrealistic to expect him to drop paid work to let a few greedy Geordies paw over his cabs. :P

As you were! :huh:

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='414421' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:57 PM']Ah, I'm with you now. I almost had a special moment in my pants.

I understood you perfectly, but I'm a fellow NE-er (although I live 20 metres [i]south[/i] of the Tyne...). I think the vast majority of the denizens of the interwebs would understand "I've already tapped Alex" to mean that you had... (how can I put this politely and delicately?) ...ploughed him.[/quote]

Gah :P Ungh ;) Wah :) No not that kind of 'tapped' :huh: saying that... would that get me a cab?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='414358' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:26 PM']it is just so damn loud and punchy and clear wherever you stand on stage.[/quote]

Thing about being loud all over the stage, is it will be loud where the guitarist is, and he'll turn up to match, when I want to be in a place where I can mostly hear me and the drums, and a bit of him. Plus I generally want to be able to step out of the loud sometime so I get note decay, and step back in front for the sustain sometimes. Am I better off sticking with my oldschool cabs?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='414456' date='Feb 19 2009, 04:20 PM']Thing about being loud all over the stage, is it will be loud where the guitarist is, and he'll turn up to match, when I want to be in a place where I can mostly hear me and the drums, and a bit of him. Plus I generally want to be able to step out of the loud sometime so I get note decay, and step back in front for the sustain sometimes. Am I better off sticking with my oldschool cabs?[/quote]

In that case avoid the Big One. The Compact and the Vintage will have very similar dispersion to conventional 15" cabs.

Alex

[quote name='Alien' post='415449' date='Feb 20 2009, 03:45 PM']Alex, any idea as to when the 3012's (esp. the HO) will be available this side of the pond? I'd like to get my hands on a few.[/quote]

Not until May I believe but Eminence are bringing some in early for me! If you pester one of the retailers maybe they can add to that order?

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather just sent me a letter enclosing two fantastic old booklets:

"Cabinet Handbook - G.A.Briggs" and "Five Speakers, how to make them - Hi-Fi News".

Both date from 1962 and are a fascinating insight into early loudspeaker cabinet design. Most notable is how some of these early designs performed so much better in certain manners than the standard woofer+tweeter ported cabs that came to dominate hi-fi over the subsequent decades and only now are we seeing cabs (predominantly in the DIY sector) that combine the upsides of modern multi-way low distortion designs with the improved power response and sensitivity of these old large driver and horn cabs with unusual driver placement.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='424992' date='Mar 4 2009, 12:53 PM']My grandfather just sent me a letter enclosing two fantastic old booklets:

"Cabinet Handbook - G.A.Briggs" and "Five Speakers, how to make them - Hi-Fi News".

Both date from 1962 and are a fascinating insight into early loudspeaker cabinet design. Most notable is how some of these early designs performed so much better in certain manners than the standard woofer+tweeter ported cabs that came to dominate hi-fi over the subsequent decades and only now are we seeing cabs (predominantly in the DIY sector) that combine the upsides of modern multi-way low distortion designs with the improved power response and sensitivity of these old large driver and horn cabs with unusual driver placement.

Alex[/quote]

If it makes you come up with something equivalent to the Vintage but toally wrong looking, then I'm totally gonna start saving.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='426574' date='Mar 5 2009, 07:02 PM']If it makes you come up with something equivalent to the Vintage but toally wrong looking, then I'm totally gonna start saving.[/quote]

Sadly any mad looking speakers I make are more likely to be hi-fi ones! Though the double bass / acoustic cab that's on the back burner is going to be pretty weird...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='426645' date='Mar 5 2009, 08:29 PM']Sadly any mad looking speakers I make are more likely to be hi-fi ones! Though the double bass / acoustic cab that's on the back burner is going to be pretty weird...

Alex[/quote]

Guessing thats home stereo, thought all your cabs were 'hi-fi'. Can you hooks us up with a gig near you and a couple of Vintages so we can give them a Doom workout? Recon most of the south will hear.

New crossover is in! Briefly tested with some Chilis and Elastica, off to band practice later. Have put together a bridging cable so I shall find out if >2000W RMS (150 volt peaks) is enough to blow up the crossover. Will also report back on how it sounds. Could hear the effect of the switch with music, not sure how obvious it'll be on bass guitar...

Alex